Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Writing • Page 27

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by WordsfromaSong, Apr 7, 2016.

1. fastlife

Regular Supporter

Big fan of workshops for accountability and feedback. It’s interesting to see what other people pick up when they read your work, sometimes stuff stands out that you didn’t notice before or you get new angles to think about things.

OotyPa likes this.
  2. stonecoldnimrod

roamer. wanderer. nomad. vagabond.

3. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

What would everyone consider their weakness when it comes to writing? Fundamentals, habits, methods, etc.

I would say one (of my many) downfalls is sentence structure. Sometimes I'll go back and read something and think "wth kind of phrasing is this lol"

4. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

In my fiction, I write everything out of order. Paragraphs are always moving back and forth in revision. I mix metaphors, sometimes. But I think my greatest weakness is prioritizing intended themes and concepts over allowing the characters / plot to organically play out. I think this stems from writing a lot of poetry, which generally expresses itself through ideas rather than narratives. Been working on this a lot though, allowing my recent work to go wherever it needs to go.

theagentcoma likes this.
  5. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Thinking it's worth a shit.

theagentcoma likes this.
  6. stonecoldnimrod

theagentcoma likes this.
  7. stonecoldnimrod

8. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Man, going through my initial draft and rewrites and I already want to make major changes for the NEXT draft and I'm not even close to finishing this one lol

9. OotyPa Apr 27, 2021
    (Last edited: Apr 27, 2021)
    OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Anyone willing to help me out? Need some readers. Happy to offer feedback in return.

I'm in the late stages of my second chapbook, tentatively titled The Mystic Orchards. About 17 poems (32 pages in all including title page, dedication, section breaks, etc). This one has an ethereal and mythologic vibe running throughout, with some hybrid poems (prose-poems, contrapuntal poems, etc) to liven the mix. I'm looking for comprehensive feedback and any other suggestions you may have on individual pieces. Specifically looking for people familiar with poetry! Plz help!

10. stonecoldnimrod

Garrett and OotyPa like this.
  11. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

12. stonecoldnimrod

thanks! i have fragments of things saved. that first stanza was all i had, and it turned into what you ended up reading.

13. stonecoldnimrod

14. OotyPa May 14, 2021
    (Last edited: May 14, 2021)
    OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Currently over the moon!

I WON 2nd PLACE for a competition I submitted to, the 2020 Electric Eclectic Novella Prize! My story Below Torrential Hill will be published [​IMG]

I spent SEVEN YEARS on this novella and every hardship was worth it. My heart is overflowing! Invested years of love, creative energy, and passion because I believed in this project. I believed in its power to heal someone, like how it was healing for me. Truly can’t wait for the publication process. Woohoo!

15. Garrett

Congrats!

OotyPa likes this.
  16. that rocks, congrats!!!!

OotyPa likes this.
  17. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

anyone know of any artists open to book covers? happy to compensate.

18. stonecoldnimrod

19. stonecoldnimrod

OotyPa and Garrett like this.
  20. Garrett

21. stonecoldnimrod

duuude...

thanks for that. always in need of encouragement.

22. OotyPa Jun 8, 2021
    (Last edited: Jun 10, 2021)
    OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Man, returning to my novella, years after finishing it, to make final edits before publishing begins is ... a damn, beautiful thing. I spent so much time on this, so much emotion went into it. Years have passed, submissions took forever, and now, it's back to the way it was;
    going line for line—no—word for word, fully entrenched in the conducting of a symphony greater than myself. Although I'll never forget the mystifying experience of first drafts, the echoes of pain and hope in its voice and characters, I can read it through a lens granted only by those years of waiting. Now I'm who I am today, a changed person, and the edits are minor, but being on the other side, its like I know exactly how to make this book the way I always intended it to be read. The fact that it's really happening is both wonderful and surreal.

23. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Ordering custom made bookmarks themed around my poetry book that came out last year B-)

aoftbsten likes this.
  24. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Turned out amazing! This is one bookmark, front and back. Excited to print these bad bois. I think/hope Staples will have the right material for it--first time doing this lol.

Attached Files:

25. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Look amazing printed and laminated. I’ll be including a complementary bookmark with any signed copies sold. Just lemme know if any of you are interested

4AD28ADC-B9A2-49E6-8746-EEDBF4544DB3.jpeg