Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Writing • Page 26

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by WordsfromaSong, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Jbent

Trusted

@OotyPa that's great, very thoughtful!

I got back into writing a few months ago after a long, long hiatus and it's been so helpful day to day. Over past month I've been editing and arranging some of the poems, playing with words and hey I even like a few of them! My hang-up is I'm incredibly shy and have zero confidence in my pieces lol. Wife is super talented in photography so we're in beginning stages of putting a visual art/poetry book together. Trying to rip the band aid off and be more comfortable sharing things I've written with others. Any pointers on that front?

Garrett likes this.
  2. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Awesome! I think my best suggestion is just go for it. Share your work with friends, on a blog, or join us at a Toho workshop where we get writers unfamiliar with sharing literally ALL the time. It’s a very encouraging atmosphere. There are also some places you can submit work-in-progress for feedback—try searching “feedback” on Submittable, or something to that nature. Hope that helps!

Jbent likes this.
  3. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

been writing a shit ton of weird poetry lately. always fun to get a burst of creative energy even if you don't know where it's all leading.

Garrett likes this.
  4. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

as someone working on four themed poetry chapbooks simultaneously, I feel that

OotyPa likes this.
  5. stonecoldnimrod

roamer. wanderer. nomad. vagabond.

i would like to know what process you're following when getting chapbooks made/published. thanks!

a_cuppa_joe likes this.
  6. stonecoldnimrod

-LUCIDITY-

Living in a dream
    Dying in my sleep

In solitude, I read another page
    My subconscious begins to set the stage
    I close my eyes to leave this maddening
    Soon after, I sense a spirit after me

Are you provocative or shallow?
    Are you a stranger or my shadow?

You want to see stars?
    Find your darkest place
    Overcome your fears?
    Look yourself in the face

Living in this cell
    Dying in my hell

Temporary asylum, an escape
    From such a cumbersome ball and chain
    I just want to find a better way
    How can nightmares bring forth a better day?

All the exit signs hang above tattered walls
    All the doors lead into rooms I’ve recalled

I was taught to turn the other cheek
    Now I’ve become my own worst enemy
    Have these eyes been shut or opened wide?
    Was I in control this entire time?

Living out a dream
    Dying for relief

Who I was versus who I want to be
    This struggle continues to divide me
    Your fire needs oxygen to burn
    You took my breath away, now it’s my turn.

7. Garrett

going to self publish them myself, most likely. have a graphic designer friend helping me with the covers (I took the photographs being used for the covers, which also helps).

all online retailers give you pretty precise/easy to follow directions on how to make eBooks/chapbooks.

@angrycandy has written four or five now that I’ve done formatting for Amazon for

angrycandy likes this.
  8. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

@Garrett's book is gonna be great btw

I've read it

9. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

We're open for subs again! I was able to convince the team to push word count for prose to 750! The theme for this issue is "resilience."

Toho Journal Submission Manager

10. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

The first official review of my chapbook has dropped!

REVIEWS & CONVERSATIONS: PALM LINES – JONATHAN KOVEN (TOHO PUBLISHING)

Very happy with how this turned out.

If anyone wants an autographed copy, I have about 9 left... They're also the last of the last color prints before indefinitely switching over to b&w illustrations. Hit me up if you're interested! Would love to get some supporters from this site (and, of course, I'll support you in return whenever the time comes!)

11. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Okay one post Warr Warrd :eyeroll:

12. Garrett

trying to take poetry from concept to final form is either the easiest thing in the world or the worst thing I’ve ever tried to do and it’s never anywhere else in between

13. stonecoldnimrod

OotyPa likes this.
  14. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I just finished my first outline and I'm starting the rewrite and good lord there's so much I already want to change lol

Garrett and OotyPa like this.
  15. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Any of you participating in PitMad on Twitter today? Let's retweet each others' stuff to support. Here's my pitch:

16. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Just dropping this submission link again. Fiction subs are quite low atm, so your chances are probably a bit higher this go around (if you write prose). The theme for this issue is "resilience." The small $3 fee helps cover Submittable and printing costs. Excited to hopefully read your stuff!

Toho Journal Submission Manager

17. Started writing more about music and culture during the panoramic (on top of my full time journalism job). Trying to get more consistent with it. Any feedback/interest is appreciated!

Human Pursuits

OotyPa likes this.
  18. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I recently wrote a hybrid fiction / experimental poem that's a TAD out there and I have no idea how people would feel about this thing. Dystopian vibes, explores the POV's of a dying deer, one of the last humans on earth, and the voice of a poisonous canal. Would love to get peoples' feedbacks on this bizarro thing that I worked pretty hard on.

After Light’s End

19. StormAndTheSun

insects come to life Supporter

I like this. Its the kind of thing that I try to write but done much better than I can do. Personally, if you tried to make this into a longer piece, I would definitely read it. I'm not much of a writer so unfortunately the only feedback I can give is that I think its good. Particularly part III.

OotyPa likes this.
  20. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

This means a lot to me. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and share your thoughts :heart:

21. stonecoldnimrod

OotyPa likes this.
  22. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

Question for the writing thread patrons, especially the poets: has anyone here done any creative writing courses/workshops/similar crap, and if so, did you get anything out of it? I've been considering looking into such a thing, but I can't help feeling like it'd be utterly pointless.

23. Garrett

In college: yes. After college: I’ve done some books that were helpful, but nothing in person.

24. I feel the same way. I tried pursuing them actively at the beginning of the year, but my writing fell off due to work issues. If you see anything interesting, please share. I need to write and I need more accountability to do so.

25. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

@White I not only attend a lot of (virtual) workshops but also lead some of them for Toho. I post about them once in a while here but doesn't seem to get much interest here, which is kind of a bummer. That said, we do have a solid crew and it's fun and informal, very helpful for writers who aren't familiar with that sort of thing. I'm actually leading a workshop this Wednesday. We also host open mics and such. Here's the link to sign up for some of them.

As for courses, I've taken many classes. I was an english lit major and creative writing minor in college and since then I've signed up for a handful of online / in-person writing courses. They vary in quality. The ones I get the most out of are the ones with actual assignments and goals in mind.