Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Writing • Page 25

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by WordsfromaSong, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Over half thus far aren't good, but it's helped me process a lot, which I'm going to count as a win.

2. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Had a bit of a lull transitioning to a new job where my hours are longer so I'm trying to schedule my writing. Still got a ways to go on the first draft

cut!print likes this.
  3. journeyproud Nov 24, 2020
    (Last edited: Dec 8, 2020)
    journeyproud

Newbie Supporter

Permanent Pen -

You burn me like the sun,
    Blind until morning comes
    That skin is tinged and blistered,
    An overwhelming glare in my eyes
    Culminating into a voice that I misheard
    When winter began to hook its teeth,
    Sinking the world back into night

So tell me apart from your volatile dreams
    While I stare off into nothing
    Mulling over half-formed thoughts,
    Wishing for an answer as to why
    I let you pass by the line I drew;
    Hoping for a sign of completion
    After all of our sanity is finally wasted

Was it designed this way from the start?
    Were there ever words kept to heart?
    Do I cling to the safety of warmth?
    Or become aware of the truth in my ear-
    I don’t want to be afraid anymore

As the thought of settling for less
    Leaves me in scorn, once again,
    I’ll learn to draw a new line
    With a permanent pen
    And just keep trying to
    Turn off the burning sky
    That is called letting you in

OotyPa likes this.
  4. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

My new short story is now looking to become novella length. Or novelette is more appropriate, I guess. Hoping editing phase will cut out a lot of words because, man, has it been a challenge the last year pitching my other actual novella to publishers. I honestly prefer reading shorter stories, don’t understand the stigma. Definitely think there’s a novella readership that is being overlooked.

5. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Idk if any of you have the time, but I NEED feedback on my finished story (14k words) and I’m utilizing all my options. Willing to swap feedback for a work of a similar or shorter length.

This time-bending story asks an essential question, to both sides of an international tragedy: what does it mean to survive? Lyrical and epic, The Bridge, is a literary fiction with a Modernist-edge (think Virginia Woolf/Clarice Lispector). The story spans over half-a-century, following an elderly Japanese woman who survived the atomic bomb, and a sensitive American teenager at the precipice of her youth.

Really proud of this one :) If you're interested, please lemme know!

6. stonecoldnimrod

roamer. wanderer. nomad. vagabond.

-Santa Monica-

A picture worth a thousand words
    This moment so peaceful, it hurts
    As the sun continues to descend
    A crisp September breeze
    Slides the tears away from my cheeks
    Another day has come to an end

Another day that I chose to attend

Chasing the sun until I can no longer
    Though distance makes the heart grow fonder
    Or so I’ve heard
    The Pacific Coast Highway, this tightrope
    A view that last long after these eyes close
    A view like her

A picture worth a thousand words
    Your face before the breaking surf
    Soon after the sun took its ascent
    Threading along the shore
    With you, I asked for nothing more
    It’s moments like these when I reflect

Often enough to become obsessed

Or so I'm told
    Like the Ferris wheel spinning beside me
    I struggle to leave our past behind me

Before the last hue
    Escapes my peripheral view
    I stare into the edge of the world once more
    To memorize every feature
    As the ocean bleeds
    Into the sky, I willingly
    Let that image seep into every pore
    Of this lonely creature
    If I were the sea
    Would you be the sky above me?
    A dusk and dawn I would forever adore

Or so I’ve heard
    Until the day her and I do return
    Until the day, I’ll continue to yearn.

-ironically, the woman i wrote this about broke up with me a few weeks ago. doesn't change the past, or how i feel about her.

OotyPa and aoftbsten like this.
  7. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

That second to last stanza (verse?) is great vivid stuff. Awesome job, and thanks for sharing.

8. theagentcoma

I completely rearranged my book structure. I was approaching 130K words and wasn't even halfway done so I decided to cut it in half. Apparently fantasy novels typically sit anywhere from 90K-120K words so I didn't want to bloat the thing.

Now that I've done that, I'm pretty close to finishing the first draft, if you can even call it that. I'll immediately start a much needed rewrite.

Garrett and OotyPa like this.
  9. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Always hurts to cut. I hope you saved the material to be used later, or for something else.

I really have to cut my current project, a 14K short story (that I'm super proud of), to its essence. Receiving feedback from my beta-readers now and it's always interesting to see reactions. Oftentimes, the same paragraph one reader suggests to cut is the same paragraph that another reader loves :upside:

10. theagentcoma

Oh for sure, definitely gonna be a part 2. And 3-5 probably. Might just pull a Robert Jordan and stop writing only when they nail my coffin shut!

OotyPa likes this.
  11. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

So I haven't really shared this info yet because it's still swirling around in my brain but I received a contract offer for my novella from two places--Atmosphere Press and World Castle Publishing.

Atmosphere is a hybrid publisher who seems very legit--their whole model looks amazing if you give non-traditional publishing a chance (author retains rights, final cover and edit approval, AND receive 100% royalties). The only thing is it's expensive AF... upwards of five-grand if I want to include the publicist. I told them I'd have to think on it.

As for World Castle, I received the offer yesterday. They're a traditional publisher but I looked them up and their website and covers look like shit, and they don't really have a social media presence AT ALL. I asked about the covers and the founder told me I could always have my own cover made, which is good... contract suggests authors only make 40% royalties. I'm very curious about their marketing and distribution, so I asked to speak on the phone with them. We'll see.

Two weird options. Not sure what to do.

jordalsh, Barresi and phaynes12 like this.
  12. started my newsletter today and the first one has a lot about creativity and daily writing and stuff like that! you can read/subscribe here if you're interested in that kind of thing: #1: Warming Up

13. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

To follow up on this, World Castle has zero marketing whatsoever—completely leaves it to the author. Most of the money they make is from one author that has over 200 books with them + a movie deal, which is likely how they’re able to survive without any kind of online presence. Some places are like that, and leave it completely to the author to spread the word. Obviously not preferable. I did contact a couple of their authors who each shared a bit of info that I found surprising, also the same advice I received from authors from Atmosphere Press when I spoke with them. There’s a common suggestion that a publisher is a publisher, and everything else that comes along with them is just extra stuff. Most of the time, it’s left to the author to promote and get it “out there” ... obviously there are levels to this, though, comparing a press with literally zero online presence and one that is active and has an email list, etc.

I came to the decision that I’ll wait a few more weeks or months, see if anything else comes to fruition. They’re not pressing me with a deadline. I know I have to work within my options but it’s not like I don’t have time and more submissions awaiting replies.

jordalsh and aoftbsten like this.
  14. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Also this is sweet as hell, definitely subscribing

15. ah thank you so much!

16. What a pleasant, inspiring read. Subscribed and can't wait to start writing once I'm home from work!

jordalsh likes this.
  17. I love to hear this!!! thanks so much for reading and subbing

18. stonecoldnimrod

roamer. wanderer. nomad. vagabond.

-over you- (work in progress)

this is an attempt at getting over you

i reconnect with a familiar face
    who sees a reflection in this wretched place
    i open my door and guide her in
    an open invitation to each other’s skin
    while she repeatedly reaches the summit
    each passing minute i continue to plummet
    my feet are still planted upon sea level
    with the bed back to myself, i settled
    for someone like you

protective seal broken on another bottle
    a race with myself to the bottom
    the glass is the needle, the fluid is the thread
    stitching myself back together again
    ignoring blueprints, following muscle memory
    this isn’t the first time i feel i’ve lost everything
    sorting through each lego piece by color
    before erecting myself again for another
    for someone like you

is imitation the sincerest form of flattery
    when all i want to leave behind continues after me?
    a test of strength between myself and the hands of time
    whether to fast forward or rewind

i can’t
    make
    up
    my
    mind

work in progress: over you

19. I've been writing and have some stories and poems in the works, but what I realized I'm lacking this year is the communal aspect of writing. I really miss having the roundtables where peers and I would critique one another's work, and that lack of accountability (i.e., having to produce something for someone else to read, and it better be as good as you can make it) has set me up for failure with my writing the last few years. This year, I'd like that to change.

Does anyone have anything they're working on? I'd love to take a read and offer thoughts on whatever you're curious about! :)

OotyPa likes this.
  20. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I run some workshops for Toho where we do exactly that! We also have other courses and open mics you can participate in. Check out the events page and sign up for a workshop (they’re free). Would be cool if someone from this site actually joined our community.

https://www.tohopub.com/events

21. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I’m also open to being a critique partner if you’re not yet ready for a workshop. I need feedback for my (long) short story I’m editing down to 10K.

22. The idea of reading a story aloud and then being critiqued sounds terrifying and exhilarating, especially over Zoom. I'll aim to finish a shorter piece for that 2/10 meeting!

Awesome! Totally down to read and offer thoughts. Feel free to DM to figure out how to proceed!

23. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

We only share 750 words and there are PLENTY of beginners! Some people share poetry, nonfiction, screenplays, etc... it's super informal and very constructive. I think you'll enjoy it!

I'll also DM you now to discuss critiquing each other. Yay!

24. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

25. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Jbent likes this.