Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Writing • Page 24

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by WordsfromaSong, Apr 7, 2016.

1. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Hi friends. Hopefully, the creative juices are flowing for all of you.

Excited to share that my first-ever-published book Palm Lines, a poetry collection, is releasing this November. Taking preorders for signed author copies now (the best way to directly support me- only 45 are left). They are only $15 ($12+$3 shipping) and I've spilled my entire dang soul into this one. Here's an image of the cover art as a teaser. Please DM if you're interested.

Palm Lines - Cover.png

jordalsh, theagentcoma and phaynes12 like this.
  2. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Y'all, Toho is open for submissions again. No theme in particular for this issue, so hopefully that's more doable than duality. Let me read your stuff!

Toho Journal Submission Manager

3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i didn’t realize the word limit was so short. was holding a piece for whenever submissions opened up. maybe i’ll throw something separate together.

OotyPa likes this.
  4. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Dang yeah, the word count is 500. Maybe in the future we’ll push it further for prose (I’d personally appreciate that too). Hopefully you can figure something out :worried:

phaynes12 likes this.
  5. stonecoldnimrod

roamer. wanderer. nomad. vagabond.

my homework for the weekend is to narrow down the three poems i want to submit to this contest.

cut!print likes this.
  6. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

what contest?

7. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

If by any chance you live in Philly or the Greater Philly area, Toho is accepting (free) submissions for short stories up to 3,000 words for an anthology. I'm not involved in the selection process at all for this one and I just submitted one of mine. Deadline is 9/30. Published pieces are allowed if you retain rights. Submit here.

Also, deadline for the journal (500 words or less, $3, photo/art/poetry/fic/nonfic) is also 9/30 so get that ish in so I can publish your ass. Submit here.

8. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Just in case any of you didn't get a chance to submit by 9/30, submissions are open again for fiction and non-fiction until tomorrow. Submit here.

9. fastlife

Regular Supporter

Anyone have any recs for a consolidated list of places accepting submissions or hosting contests? Especially for creative nonfiction, essay kinds of things?

10. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I think getting a Submittable account is your best bet.

fastlife and phaynes12 like this.
  11. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Anyone interested in ordering my poetry book, preorder page is up.

I worked my ass off on this and I really think y'all would dig it :)

12. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Attended Philadelphia’s virtual PushToPublish conference on Saturday and paid to meet with two lit agents through a speed dating event. I’ve never attended a writers conference before and also have never directly conversed with a lit agent so I was pretty nervous, especially knowing I was pitching my fiction novella to them (the one ive been querying around for about a year now).

I made a PowerPoint presentation for my pitch with a cover (that’ll inevitably be changed) along with my book description, bio, and credits ive gotten along the way of this book’s journey. Super easy to make- took me maybe 10 minutes because i already had the materials for the slides.

The first agent told me she was only seeking childrens and middle grade for now (diff than what her online description said) but was impressed, asked me to send my ms to her to send to her colleague. Her colleague ended up passing on it (she doesnt take novellas and only wants commercial- not literary) but the agent i met with told me my work deserves to be published, but shes out of options to help me.

The other agent i met with, zoom shut down participant ability to share screens, so i had to nix out my PowerPoint presentation. I had the positive exp with the other agent earlier so i was feeling less nervous at this point, so talking with her was smoother. She asked for my ms and im currently waiting for her to read and give me her thoughts!!! Wish me luck yall, ive never been this close!

tl;dr waiting to hear back from an agent after she requested full manuscript of my fiction novella

jordalsh and a_cuppa_joe like this.
  13. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

have any of you struggled to find your "writing voice?" I find myself struggling to find a consistent style. It tends to follow the patterns of whatever I'm reading lately, which I know isn't a great habit. I'm probably being too hard on myself, because I've not even finished my first book, but it's something I've noticed lately

14. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I think thats a common fear people share, and really all writers are growing and constantly developing their voice as they go on in their careers, picking up on things they read, experience, etc—even while working on single projects. I personally feel like confidence and consistency is key. As long as you feel like what youre doing is right for the project youre working on now, and you can make it all work as one coherent whole at the end-point, i think thats whats most important. Sometimes diversifying the style a bit, while sustaining a narrative voice, is a sign of writerly strength and not weakness.

theagentcoma likes this.
  15. stonecoldnimrod

roamer. wanderer. nomad. vagabond.

ISHINOMAKI

The earth began to tremble
    Raining sheet rock and metal
    Before my feet could settle
    The waves did crawl
    The race to higher ground
    Began with a screeching sound
    And before I was knocked down
    I turned and saw

An undertow
    High above me
    This overflow
    Has undone me

A new door slides open
    I can see through
    While thousands were chosen
    Cannot see you
    This is not
    My right of way
    Too scared to go to where I now belong
    I want to stay

Where the rivers met the sea
    Now a painful memory
    This is the way it must now be

I have become a lost soul
    Longing for a place to go
    One I used to call my home
    Now desolate
    My future was stolen
    Left countless hearts broken
    Here I stand out in the open
    Nonexistent

I feel you
    I hear you
    I need you
    To hear me

If I could wash away
    Your misery
    Like the ocean waves
    That ended me
    I would not
    I would refuse
    Know that each moment you wish you were with me
    I am with you.

guys, the new episode of unsolved mysteries on netflix about the tsunami spirits, for whatever reason, WRECKED ME. that's where the inspiration for this piece comes from. i think it's finished.

jcv8481.wordpress.com

OotyPa and aoftbsten like this.
  16. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

If anyone wants to come to the Toho/Green Street Poetry virtual open mic, it's tonight 7-9pm EST. rsvp here

we typically have anywhere between 15-40 people attend, and people sign up for reading slots at the start. you're also welcome to just observe. tonight, if you want to share, you're encouraged to bring a spooky piece :pumpkin: (not mandatory, obvs)

17. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I've just started keeping a daily journal to encourage me to actually write more. I fell off for a few months there.

theagentcoma likes this.
  18. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Anyone do freelance stuff? A site called Fiverr.com came across my radar lately and it seems like a good way to pick up some work. I might look into it.

19. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I used to do a lot of freelance editing. I technically still do, but haven't had an assignment in ages lol. Picked up some Fiverr jobs last year though. Cool app for finding assignments. Payment is processed directly through them, and they have some service fees / pick up on a hefty royalty, which is my biggest complaint. They also don't allow you to communicate with clients outside of the Fiverr app itself (if you ask for an email address/paypal, you get flagged). There's also a bit of a beginner's curve, as clients typically select popular services with lots of testimonials over new ones.

My suggestion is to avoid all apps or sites and just build your business yourself. A lot more work, but I think it's way more worthwhile. Build your own profile and promote your service through forums and groups (you'd be surprised how many authors are looking for editors in groups/pages on facebook, linkedin, goodreads, etc...) Set your own rates, be hyper-specific about service details, provide testimonials, etc... When scouting, individually email potential clients instead of publicly posting about it.

Good luck!

theagentcoma likes this.
  20. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Holding the real life proof copy in my hands. Humbling. This is a moment to remember.

A011F7F5-6DA0-4B93-964D-031B1B59AD7F.jpeg

21. looks so cool!! big congratulations!!!

OotyPa likes this.
  22. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Friend and i collabed to create a lil promo video for my book. Check it out (his website if interested)

theagentcoma likes this.
  23. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

hi friends, how's the writing coming along? i want to hear about what y'all have in the works.

24. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I set a goal to write 90 poems for NaNoWriMo. I’m doing alright. I need today’s 3.

otherwise every writing goal this year will be missed in a major way.

OotyPa likes this.
  25. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

90 poems in a month is amazing.