Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Writing • Page 20

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by WordsfromaSong, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Finished beats perfect 100 times out of 100. That helped me get over that.

theagentcoma likes this.
  2. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Yeah as I continue to write I can already see how much is going to need to be rewritten. But it doesn't freak me out, it helps me realize that I know I can do better.

3. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Been doing some freelance editing for authors lately, and I finished my first Fiverr order a couple weeks ago. Had no idea they take such a large portion of your earnings, and that it takes 3+ weeks for funds to transfer into your account. Total bullshit.

4. Garrett

big reason I had to stop freelancing after about six months a few years back. And I’ve heard the fees went up for all the platforms I used at the time

5. Garrett

I hit 50k!

Mr. Serotonin and theagentcoma like this.
  6. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Man, I submitted to 62 lit magazines and journals in the last few months and I got 30 rejections. Its not like im submitting the same piece either. Granted i got accepted back in July by one journal, but all these recent rejections are making me lose faith. Massive bummer.

7. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Not even kidding, I got a poem accepted today--less than 24 hours after that whiny ass post. You can't make this shit up lmao.

8. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Congrats!

9. StormAndTheSun

insects come to life Supporter

For people who do things like nano, is writing your full time job? Trying to figure out how bad I should feel about myself for not feeling like Im able to write that much.

10. Garrett

I work in marketing at a law firm. On a day where words are flowing, the 1667 words/day pace of NaNo is less than 45 minutes of writing.

11. Garrett

Never feel bad about the pace you write. But making it a daily habit will eventually lead to more speed. Speed doesn’t denote quality.

supernovagirl likes this.
  12. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Guys!! It feels so damn good to hold this bad boy in print. Since moving to Philadelphia and organizing bi-weekly creative writing workshops, I got more involved as an editor with a small lovely group of writers and artists. After months of work, we created an actual (beautiful) literary journal. It features poetry, short fiction, artwork, and photography; and an excerpt of my novel is featured in it(!!!). Please support by purchasing a copy here... would mean the world.

https://www.tohopub.com/product-page/toho-journal-place-vol-1-no-2

IMG_0662 (1).jpg
    IMG_0664.jpg

theagentcoma and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  13. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Hi writer friends! I recently submitted a flash-fiction piece to this publisher. I need 50 or more votes for them to strongly consider it to be featured in their next anthology. It takes about twenty seconds to vote, so please help me by voting on this page. Happy to repay the favor however I can!

‘The White Wolf Dreams’ By Jonathan Koven

aoftbsten and theagentcoma like this.
  14. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

gonna fuck around and try to adapt one of my favorite books, which has never been adapted. who the fuck cares. if nothing happens from it, which is probably likely, it will cost me nothing.

theagentcoma and Deanna like this.
  15. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

done. took me FIFTEEN seconds even. good luck!

OotyPa likes this.
  16. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

thanks brotha. means a lot.

only need 4 votes left!!! plz support guys!

theagentcoma likes this.
  17. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Voted!

18. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

we did it!!! will let you guys know if they decide to feature me

theagentcoma likes this.
  19. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

It was accepted and im being featured in their anthology!!! I’m gonna fucking cream my pants

20. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I recently finished my query letter and sent out ten emails tonight for my debut novel. Holding off on including any sample pages to see if the query itself is working to draw interest. Let's goooooo.

aoftbsten and theagentcoma like this.
  21. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Hi guys, so I figured I should promote the journal I've been a part of.

We are currently open for submissions for our Spring issue and the theme is "duality." 500 words or less. We accept fiction, nonfiction, poetry, art, and photography. FYI I'm one of the fiction editors :teethsmile:

Toho Journal Submission Manager

Garrett L. and Deanna like this.
  22. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Bumping this post because we need all the submissions we can get! So please, even if you've never submitted your work before, send us your best stuff! Tons of the submissions we published in our last issue were from first-timers. Even if your piece isn't accepted for the print version, we have an online version that publishes our runner-up submissions, so your chances of being accepted are HELLA high!

23. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

I'll do some digging through my poetry and see if I have anything to submit. 500 words for fiction too short :/ may see if I have anything in the vault that fits.

OotyPa likes this.
  24. Garrett

I don’t have anything that fits thematically.

OotyPa likes this.
  25. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

The word count is definitely tight, for sure. Makes for a good flash-fiction prompt though.