Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Writing • Page 2

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by WordsfromaSong, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Dean

Trusted Prestigious

There's definitely a knack to writing academic stuff. Not something I've ever really gotten the hang of unfortunately.

Raku likes this.
  2. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I released a book of poetry last year if anyone is interested. It's called Doom Riddles and you can buy it on Amazon. While it can be picked up and read like any book of poetry, it also tells a story that you can piece together from bits and pieces of the poems and the 13 "Doom Riddles" sections that make up the spine of the story. You can read some of the book by using the "look inside" feature, here's an additional poem

OotyPa, nl5011 and Raku like this.
  3. Raku

Regular

That's actually very clever, I wish I thought of that =/

Anyway, I've been thinking of putting out three books myself (One book a compilation of Short stories I wrote over the years (possibly going all the way back to elementary school, but that stuff would have to be rewritten and changed), one a compilation of Poems I did over the years (unfortunately it wasn't till college I was smart enough to start saving my work), and my first ever long story (Originally a creepypasta/short story kind of deal, but I feel like I want to really flesh this story out).

We'll have to see though, after my last semester of college I've been a little burnt out and have been on a creative hiatus. Which also include this anime inspired adult/teen aimed cartoon series I've been working on since summer of 2015. This show is my first ever world building experience (still at the throwing stuff into the pot phase) which is different for me because I'm usually a 'discovery writer' (the extreme version (meaning I don't plan anything out. I just come up with a plot/premise and just write whatever comes out).

4. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

I love that line "I can be everything still calm and sedated." That's a gem.

5. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Just got a gig writing the opening sketch for the local Fringe Festival. Kind of a tall order, haha. I hope I do it justice!

6. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I wish I was good at creative writing. Writing a screenplay or writing sketches would be a blast.

JRGComedy likes this.
  7. demo

i said dont @ me

reading through this thread makes me wanna write something. i know one day i'll make music that calls for lyrics so i'll be forced to, i should start practicing now for when that day comes

Garrett L. likes this.
  8. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Even if you never use it for anything, you should just write down your thoughts once a day. You'd be surprised how much inspiration you'll find.

9. Raku

Regular

What do you mean by this? Like keep a daily journal, or maybe a notebook to write random junk down? Would it even be beneficial to keep a dream journal type of thing?

10. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Personally, I usually take ten to twenty minutes every day and write anything that comes to my mind on a notebook page. Kind of a weird journal/mind dump hybrid. But other people like it their brainstorming to be more structured. Maybe each day has a theme? Maybe a dream journal would be cool! Doesn't really matter how, as long as the writing gets done!

Chase Tremaine and Raku like this.
  11. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Thanks man!

12. Ben Lee

Can you explain it to me? Like, I really like it. I also want to steal it (I won't, but I want to.)

13. Raku

Regular

Ah, so basically you do the 'stream of conscious' or 'automatic writing' as a daily exercise.

Yeah, I could possibly give this a type of exorcise a try. Maybe doing this will help me gain more confidence in my work, and loosen up my filter (I love creative writing, but I'm a very harsh critic on myself sometimes).

JRGComedy likes this.
  14. Ben Lee

I have a sticker right on the inside of my journal that reads "THE FIRST DRAFT OF ANYTHING IS SHIT." It reminds me not to be so critical when I'm writing.

15. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

I wish I was good at writing, like, at all. haha

16. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

The poem as a whole is about recognizing the energy and essence of the feminine.

Relating curves to flower petals, and how they guide the flow of water, which in itself has feminine symbolism. That leads to this image of Aphrodite rising out of foam. And that line you like is pretty much the male response to Beauty. All we can do is try to bargain with it. "I can be everything still calm and sedated"

If the female is the universe, then I want to be the still calm creative energy with which she builds existence.

17. Lindsay M Apr 12, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 12, 2016)
    Lindsay M

drunk on the radio waves

I like this. I'm WAY too concerned with the formality of putting things on paper... Like I have this notion that everything should be polished up on my head before I put out somewhere where people could see it, which isn't fair to me. Need to keep this idea in mind.

18. Ben Lee

That's awesome! Thank you for taking the time to explain that. I hope you keep posting stuff around here!

19. heartbeatsbrain

Regular

20. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

That moment you find papers about feminism you wrote seven years ago for school

Hilarious and sad

21. Ben Lee

National poetry month!

Here's an excerpt from one I recently wrote about my lovely wife.

"I'll come back cedar.
    You, a flower, wild.
    Tangle our roots together.
    Collected by our children's child."

22. Ben Lee

Not poetry, but something I penned on my blog about the great weekend I had.

“Wildflowers” by Tom Petty played in the late morning. Everything was gold and the air was just the perfect amount of cool crisp yet. My wife sat in a chair on the patio and nursed our youngest while the boys and I played in the back yard. As if that song couldn’t crush me any more than it already does, it goes and does it again. As she sat there in the shade, everything around her was bright, and her body was soil helping our youngest grow, so that one day he can join us in our back yard play. Her body has been a vessel of survival for our two youngest for the last two years. There are no words to explain that kind of beauty. There are no words to explain that kind of appreciation. She gave me weekends like these. She is the center of our family web. I’ll forever spend my life trying to show her how much she means to all of us. Together we'll raise our boys to appreciate and love their partners with the same fervor.

Mokena likes this.
  23. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I have to write an essay tonight about privacy in the 21st century. Had a week to do it, didn't write it in my planner the moment it was assigned, so I forgot about it until tonight.

24. Raku

Regular

Going through old unfinished poems hoping I can get them to an acceptable level.

At the same time I find myself coming up with new ones lately.

25. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

I'm not a Wisconsinite, but after living here for 4 years, I knew you were from Wisconsin immediately because of your usage of yet. It's such an interesting linguistic feature to me of (middle/northern) Wisconsin.

Always baffles me how subtle uses of language can help shed a lot of light about where someone is from, which can unsheathe even more knowledge about a person.

Also, really liked what you wrote there!