Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Writing • Page 19

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by WordsfromaSong, Apr 7, 2016.

1. LWS likes this.
  2. OotyPa Jul 3, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 3, 2019)
    OotyPa

fall away

Wrote a new poem for the first time since February and it feels fucking great. It was tough transitioning from writing prose for my story, but I actually think this poem isn't bad. I spent a few days working on it. Feel free to check it out, y'all. Let me know what you think. If you wanna check out the rest of the blog too, feel free.

To Hold Every Flying and Falling

3. StormAndTheSun

insects come to life Supporter

A couple weeks ago, I finished my first book. A few people close to me are reading it now, then I plan to take their edits and start sending it out to writing agents and what not. Currently, Im still kind of burnt out by it and kind of hate it, but I think that'll go away in a couple weeks, haha. Feels cool to have something done, though.

OotyPa and theagentcoma like this.
  4. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I’m signing up for a writing class online. Not going into it with any major expectations or ideas. I just wanted to try something to spark creativity.

theagentcoma likes this.
  5. OotyPa

fall away

Lots has happened since I begun setting up creative writing workshop events here in Philly. I partnered with a local micro-press and became their official workshop organizer, and then stepped in to become their fiction editor when their last guy left. I’m guaranteed a published piece in the next issue which is sick. I wanted to share the submission link here. Acceptance rate is VERY high so if you have a poem/prose piece (or even artwork) that fits the theme, please submit!

Toho Journal Submission Manager

I also want to plug their short story publication service! They are trying to expand their short story catalogue so if you submit the story and they like it, you can get it published online for free. They’ll do a cover for it, text layout, etc, but royalties split 50/50. I personally think its a great deal if you’ve written short stories and want to be published. I’m doing it myself with one I wrote a few years ago that ive been revising.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScncfs8AIVELSQFKAfTcklvs1vwB86dFEwBuPT7Pqaw5DSM5A/viewform

6. Raku

Regular

I like this...

Might just give this a whirl sometime in the future and see what happens.

OotyPa likes this.
  7. Raku

Regular

As for my own stuff... I have three poetry books up on Amazon, and a fourth one being worked on. Besides that I'm planning on going around my town, taking some pictures and publishing that through Amazon as not only a tour guide thing, but also to see how well that will sell. Seeing as how my poetry books aren't selling. I've pushed them, even created my own author page, and still people don't buy them so I'm hoping this picture book does well.

I'm still dragging my feet on this book series I thought of back in 2015... The first book was finished back in 2018, and the second book was started then stalled that same year. I need to get the other planned books finished eventually, and look for a publisher for this book series.

One day, I would love to team up with an illustrator and make a story book. Would be fun to do that, but that's also currently a pipe dream.

Outside of this I've been looking for ways to make money (still unemployed), and signed up on Fiverr as a poet with no bites (other than a scammer wanting to use my ID for Upwork)... Might see what Upwork might offer as a ghostwriter, or whatever freelance work they need.

8. OotyPa

fall away

If you dont mind editing work, check out the website Critique Connect and the Goodreads forums for beta-reading. You can advertise yourself as a freelance professional editor (that is if you have the experience) and setup a Paypal to charge fees by word count

Raku likes this.
  9. Raku

Regular

I've honestly never edited professionally for others before, but I might have to take a look at this and consider my options.

10. elwayinthe4th

pop-drunk.com

I started writing for a music website lately and I've done a few reviews so far.

Music In Minnesota

theagentcoma likes this.
  11. elwayinthe4th

pop-drunk.com

i might have asked this before but has/does anyone here do any freelance writing? I've been thinking about giving it a shot while i'm in college.

12. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I tried. Hard market to break into.

13. OotyPa

fall away

Woke up this morning to an email that said two of my poems were accepted and are going to be published in a lit journal. Very happy about it.

14. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

hell yeah that's lit

but seriously, congrats!

OotyPa likes this.
  15. OotyPa

fall away

Anyone thinking of participating in NaNoWriMo this year? Think I’m gonna go for it. I’ve stuck to revising old short stories recently but I want to start my next big project. I’ve been quietly brainstorming though they’re super rough ideas.

Been tossing around the idea of writing about a family in different POVs, exploring their conceptions of spirituality, purpose, and higher power (maybe atheist mother, agnostic father, spiritually hungry child). I want the story to take place over a short period of time and each character gives their perspective of the events. That’s all I have so far, but I feel like it could turn into something. I also really dont want this one to be terribly dark- I’d like to go light for once lol.

16. Garrett

I’m debating doing it. Potentially as fuel for a rewrite of one of mine.

17. Garrett

NaNo Day 1 writing goal met!

aoftbsten likes this.
  18. theagentcoma

I'm just planning on going extra hard on what I've already been working on. I'm up to 60,000 words and 95 pages in Word

19. OotyPa

fall away

Wish I had planned in advance for this month. Had a couple ideas but didn't outline or prepare. Oh well-- super busy these days anyway. I've been freelance editing novels lately as a side gig and I have a few lined-up this month, so that will keep me busy (one is a nonfiction business book, and another that's a fiction translated from Afrikaans).

That said, (shameless self-plug) if anyone needs a comprehensive beta-reader/line-editor/proofreader for their manuscript once it's complete, feel free to hit me up. Here's my profile with a few testimonials (wish I had more but clients forget/aren't v generous lol).

Critique Connect

List of things I look at in my read:
    • Beginning hook--does it draw the reader in?
    • Are the characters believable/complex people? Can the reader connect with them?
    • Dialogue and dialogue tags
    • Showing vs. telling
    • Exposition dumps
    • Sense of setting
    • Plot: I will look for conflict, obstacles, motivations; and gauge my own interest in the events of your story
    • Pacing, flow, and structure
    • Language: Descriptive detail, atmosphere, lyricism, author's style, etc...
    • Syntax / word choice
    • Passive vs. active voice
    • Readability
    • POV and head-hopping
    • Sensitivity read--is there anything that may offend, alienate, or turn away potential readers?

20. Garrett

Did anyone else end up doing NaNo?

I'm on track, but I'd like to finish by Wednesday.

21. theagentcoma

Just doing my regular writing, but I'm up to around 64,000 words.

According to my outline, that's 1/4 of the way there :-|

Garrett L. likes this.
  22. Garrett

64k is great! 1/4 of the way there though is a bit daunting. If I recall, you're writing a fantasy, correct?

23. theagentcoma

Thanks! Yep, that's the goal haha. I have a faint idea about target audience, but publishing and editing and all that stuff is a mystery to me. That stuff is at least a few years away anyways, so I'm trying not to think about it too much right now.

Garrett L. likes this.
  24. Garrett

I’ve spent years trying to get published and a friend has been published so I’m always down to talk shop when you need to.

theagentcoma likes this.
  25. PureBlueSF

Regular Supporter

One of these days I'll finish the novel I've been working on. I think my problem is that I try way too hard to get everything perfect the first time around and that prevents me from ever actually getting anything done. But I've been trying to be better about that.

theagentcoma likes this.