Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Writing • Page 18

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by WordsfromaSong, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Ah. Then you can do it a myriad of ways. But little things like “her hair, the color of the night sky, only made the silver crown more pronounced” or “his skin was so dark it made his white tunic almost seem to glow” etc

theagentcoma likes this.
  2. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

How are your loved ones when it comes to your writing? Friends/family? Anyone have the experience where a loved one says they support and want to read, but never actually invest time in reading? Just curious as to other people’s experiences with this kind of thing. In a perfect world, my art resonates with the people i love, but i often find they simply dont connect to some pieces as much as strangers do. I also have noticed my grandparents prefer the stuff I made when i was a kid, for some reason. Guess its nostalgic for them.

3. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I realize I'm kinda just talking to myself at this point, but I've been getting some good feedback from beta-readers recently. I've made a solid amount of edits and I'm feeling pretty confident in my story again. Some time away has also helped me "kill my darlings." Hope everyone else is keeping up with their writing too!

4. Garrett

I meant to come back and respond to this.

My parents are super supportive of my writing, but they’ve yet to actually read any of my fiction. Which is partly on me.

Same with all of my friends, except the few I have tapped as betas.

Kinda realizing I hold on to my stories potentially too tight. But I’m also a perfectionist.

5. elwayinthe4th

pop-drunk.com

does anyone know a good blog site/platform that isn't tumblr? I need to start writing regularly again.

6. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

WordPress is one I've played around with but I can't speak on it too much.

7. elwayinthe4th

pop-drunk.com

Hmm I'll look into it .Thanks!

K0ta likes this.
  8. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I have a wordpress that I find easy to use, plus some of their site layout designs are nice and sleek which is good for writers. I unfortunately only post once in awhile, like once a month, but I still think its a good alternative to the tumblr I’ve been letting collect rust for years.

elwayinthe4th likes this.
  9. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

ECV likes this.
  10. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

The only good blogging platforms are blogger Wordpress and squarespace
    Or at least it’s understood in blogger land that those are the big 3

11. elwayinthe4th

pop-drunk.com

[​IMG]

I DIDN'T STUDY FOR THIS TEST

supernovagirl likes this.
  12. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

whew, just finished my first chapter. Sitting at 16,258 words. Cranked out maybe 1,500 yesterday but it was a very difficult process. I went to the bookstore down the street because I thought getting out and writing might help my creativity.

I was wrong. So distracted. Today I was much more at peace and in the zone in my home office. Felt good.

13. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I'm so bummed my work life has been so hectic since Christmas. I've been sitting on the same 6K words forever and I feel like the longer I don't have any time or energy to write, the worse it will be when I finally have time to sit with it again. I need to find a way to balance my "real" job so that I can do what I like.

StormAndTheSun likes this.
  14. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Any of you have experience actually submitting to agents or publishers? My beta-readers have been enjoying my story a lot and I’ve been getting positive feedback reading excerpts at workshops. I feel like the time is approaching... i’ve never done this kind of thing yall. I got a book on how to write queries and i’m doing a lot of research on making sure i send to the right person, but how do I remain calm in the midst of this emotional hurricane???

15. Garrett

I submitted to 87 agents and got rejected by all of them haha

16. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Damn-sorry to hear. Any advice you have that you might have learned from that?

17. Garrett

Do your homework on agents. Really figure out what they like and want. Manuscript Wish List either the website or twitter hashtag help a lot with this. Helps you tailor your query (just like a resume) to them individually, too.

18. chriscameronwrites

I've felt this way, too, a fuck of a lot. I hope that you get past your block soon. In my experience, just writing something every day helps. Most of the time it's usually complaining that I don't have time to write (productively, with substance) every day. But now I have stacks of notebooks and it feels good to see that they are all full.

19. chriscameronwrites

Personally, I've been less productive than I want to be. I have ideas and images in my head, but the writing comes infrequently. Right now I am trying to figure out how to write, not just journal, even when I feel uninspired, useless, apathetic, etc. If I want to write seriously, I have to write.

I've found that working on different forms of writing (and reading different mediums) is a helpful tool to battle the rut of sameness. I have a standing list-making exercise with a friend and I suggested it as a writing project (Top 10 Closing Tracks) that, surprisingly, turned into a personal essay, of sorts. Afterwards, I've been much more inspired and willing to work, even when it feels dumb or difficult or flat. Just because I like writng, and I do what I please.

20. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Chapter 2/32 done. 20,621 words so far. This is by far the most work I've ever put into a project.

21. elwayinthe4th

pop-drunk.com

whats the best way to promote my writing?

22. elwayinthe4th

pop-drunk.com

I'm looking for more people to write for my blog. anyone interested?

LAKES

23. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Hi guys, I recently moved from DC to Philly and am desperately looking for other creatives willing to meet, chat, write, and share feedback as part of a weekly workshop--so I decided to create a Meetup group specifically for that purpose! Please be my friend!!! Join and feel free to share with anyone you think might be interested :)

Philadelphia Creative Writing Read & Critique Meetup (Philadelphia, PA)

theagentcoma likes this.
  24. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

25. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Update on this!

I'm super excited to announce that I'm partnering with Toho Publishing, a Philadelphia micro press, to get this group the hookup into the local literary community. We'll be announcing a lot of cool things soon, like more feedback-centric workshops, open mics, and even opening up submissions for a collaborative literary journal. Join this group to stay updated on the latest events if you're in the area/are interested in joining our community! And please share the group link with your writer friends if you think they'd be interested.

Also, if you can make it, come to the creative writing workshop I'm hosting tomorrow evening (6:00-8:30pm) at the Parkway Central Library (1901 Vine St, Room 108)! The plan is to write for one hour and then read/workshop together. The link to the event page is below :)

https://www.meetup.com/Toho-Creative-Writing-Workshop/events/jtbwzqyzjbqb/?fbclid=IwAR1MTrn8P0pg-lQpC3jb7dYuRSb69GC7OGhWg_blQc7W43SrI4QaebvStfU