Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Writing • Page 17

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by WordsfromaSong, Apr 7, 2016.

1. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I've got about one scene left to write for my story... and it's the last scene :cringe::verysad:

I can't help but feel bittersweet about this 4-5 year experience (of writing the actual story) coming to a close. Does anyone have any general "what now" suggestions if I want to publish this thing in the hopes anyone wants to read it?

theagentcoma and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  2. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Have people whose opinions you trust read it first

3. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Besides that! I've already chosen my select few to read it. I'm also part of a workshop group so I'll be printing copies and sharing it with them if/when we ever get more than 1-2 people to join the group. So I'm mostly asking beyond the editing and revision process, how does one begin the publication process for a story about 100 pages long (on Word)?

4. cheese_pizza

A year ago I was able to write poems. Unfortunately, I've lost that talent and miss that very much.

5. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Idk if this belongs in here per se but
    For class we had to give a presentation about something personal to our identity and include a creative representation of it such as a song or comic or zine or poem etc etc

So I talked about body positivity and performed a slam poem bc it’s the only thing I can remotely do creatively
    It was my first time ‘performing’ a poem though so that was interesting

I got a lot of really positive feedback which made me very happy

theagentcoma likes this.
  6. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I finished my story.

What a surreal feeling.

theagentcoma and StormAndTheSun like this.
  7. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I have 65 named characters for my first book so far and I haven't started writing. It will probably be closer to 90 when it's done :teethsmile:

8. theagentcoma

Thinking of purchasing this software to make a map for my world, thoughts?

Wonderdraft

9. theagentcoma

starting point for the world my story takes place in

Capture.PNG

10. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Anyone listen to any good writing podcasts?

11. theagentcoma

interested to know this too.

Also, what do you guys use to write? Word? Google docs? Typewriter?

I'm thinking of using Google docs so I can easily access it from work.

12. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Word since it’s industry standard

theagentcoma and OotyPa like this.
  13. theagentcoma

Managed the first 1,450 words today. What a rush. Haven't written anything like this in years.

Garrett L. likes this.
  14. Garrett

Been planning out a series of novellas and short stories that all connect around one moment in time, but are otherwise disconnected. Just wrote the opening little section (~4 pages) that each of them will begin with to show that they're connected.

theagentcoma likes this.
  15. OotyPa Feb 7, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 7, 2019)
    OotyPa

fall away Supporter

so who here has a writing blog?

I have a tumblr, had it for over a decade now lol, but i'm uninterested in continuing it. I actually made a wordpress today hoping to consolidate the excess shit and revised a couple poems and posted them on there if anyone is interested. I'll be trying to update it fairly regularly with a new poem/prose piece bc i eventually want to delete my tumblr for good and switch over to this

One Bird Speaks

stonecoldnimrod likes this.
  16. PureBlueSF

Regular Supporter

Well I guess I might as well post here. It's been a dream of mine for years to be a novelist but for one reason or another I never end up finishing anything. But I'm determined to actually have something to show you guys by either the middle of this year or the end of the year. I don't have enough confidence to share the idea I have in this thread, but if anyone's interested I can PM some of the details to you.

In the meantime, I'll share this. This was an assignment I did for a creative writing class the one semester I actually went to college. The class was honestly fucking stupid (it was just the professor talking about the famous people he knew for 3 hours) but it's whatever. I did get enjoyment out of these assignments called word salons where you're given one word and you have to make a story using it only once. The word for this one was "wind". Now, bear in mind that I almost never write in 3rd person because for me, writing is a very personal thing and 3rd person feels, well, too impersonal. But I'm still very happy with how this came out.

"Clein stands at the edge of a cliff with the city below. "Is this it?", he inquires. "No, the journey has just begun", Lanneya responds with a melodic quality to her voice. Keeping a placid smile, she says "Your journey is not straightforward. View it like the wind. A continuous current that carries you along." "Yeah, I guess so. And we're all like fish, swimming down that continuous current." Clein is almost dumbfounded by his own words, but he has gained a new confidence. Lanneya smiles back, and they're ready to start the next chapter."

It's not something I plan on expanding at all, but I have used variations of the scene in other things I've written. A sort of signature thing of mine, if you will.

17. OotyPa Feb 12, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 12, 2019)
    OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Don’t tell me not a single one of you poor souls is daring enough to share your creative writing blog? Must I beg, so as to better develop ourselves as a tiny writing community? Friends, I want to read your innermost thoughts and I want you to read mine!

theagentcoma likes this.
  18. PureBlueSF

Regular Supporter

I used to track my progress on my old Tumblr but I don't use Tumblr anymore. I've considered making a WordPress or something, but I dunno. Still undecided.

Raku and OotyPa like this.
  19. Garrett

I have a wordpress but I don’t post anything other than old pieces from college and random free writing blogs. I don’t put anything up I may eventually want to sell.

garrettmlemons.wordpress.com

Raku, Ken and OotyPa like this.
  20. theagentcoma

managed to finish the prologue. Sitting at 6,687 words and 10 pages. Only 33 chapters and an epilogue left to go.

this might take some time..

OotyPa, Garrett L. and Raku like this.
  21. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Hi guys, I attend a weekly group in Washington DC for a 2-hour writing workshop. I recently became organizer and it made me think to suggest it to you guys in case you live in the area. We write whatever we want for one hour, then read (if we want)/politely listen and share feedback. It's super informal and it's a small group, but it's been incredibly helpful in keeping me actively writing and meeting other budding authors. It's also just fun and something to look forward to every week.

Here's the meetup page on the off-chance you guys live near DC and are interested: DC Creative Writing Read & Critique (Washington, DC)

22. theagentcoma

Writers, how do you describe the characters of your stories, appearance-wise, without it being too clunky? I don't want to just dump a host of details like complexion, body type, posture, etc on a reader. But I also don't want to leave them in the dark.

23. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

What I'd do is probably introduce the character in the midst of an action, but carefully describe how they're doing it. And when I say "an action," I mean something that gives them a sense of identity. Give small details that deal with the character's physical appearance. In my opinion, you should be able to capture a character's identity by gently revealing smaller details of their appearance, rather than bluntly summarizing. Here's an example from Murakami, an author I respect a lot:

24. Garrett

is it first, second, or third POV? Close or omniscient?

25. theagentcoma

Third, omniscient. Kinda like Game of Thrones or Malazan.