Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Writing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by WordsfromaSong, Apr 7, 2016.

1. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Thread for anything having to do with writing. Fiction, non-fiction, poetry, screenplay, etc. Anybody working on anything cool?

2. I wish I had more time to write for fun.

cut!print likes this.
  3. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

My friend and I have been working on a screenplay for the last two years. It's been a huge learning experience--it's pretty crazy how structured and formulaic movies are, and it's always a challenge to be creative within those confines. We're working on the sixth draft now.

JRGComedy likes this.
  4. RyanNevill

Graphic Designer

I want to write more and have been trying, writing more blog posts and more in depth site updates. I read so much, it makes me wish I had a more fluent writing language and style.

5. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I'm working on a novel. I finished the first draft in early 2014, got it nice and shiny by summer, only to have my editor rip it to shreds so I'm basically starting over at square one in the second draft. But it is a much stronger story.

For the first time, I've got a lot of ideas for stories, too, so that gives me a little hope that there is more in there if I can make this a career.

I used to love writing creative nonfiction, and I'm in the process of searching for my voice again in that.

jorbjorb likes this.
  6. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Im working on a sci-fi novel. Still fleshing out the plot points storyboard style. But the concept is great and original. Its going to be very grounded, not like jupiter ascending or crazy futuristic.

I also am trying to bring a skillful poetic prose style back in to literature. Everything nowadays reads like a movie script. I love poetry so im incorporating that into my fiction style.

RileyWitiw and Garrett L. like this.
  7. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

I'm a sports reporter for a paper in Missouri (for now, I'm looking to move on to somewhere else). But I also just started working on a fiction novel that I've wanted to write for YEARS. Only a few chapters in but I'm excited about it.

demo likes this.
  8. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I've had an entire fantasy world plotted out and jotted down with notes/maps/character arcs for a few years. I keep putting off starting it, which is not good - but on the other hand it's given me time to rethink some of the plot and cut out some characters entirely - so it's been evolving at the very least.

I do have a blog I update every so often. Currently I'm focused on the Harry Potter series since I'm reading it for the first time. I just finished it and I'm actually going to post my final thoughts today, maybe I'll post a link here.

demo and Garrett L. like this.
  9. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I write copy in my spare time. Not artistically fulfilling, but it pays bills well enough.

10. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Heres a poem I wrote a few weeks ago:

For watersake petals pose
    like a curves forme to beauty
    An ideal built to spill
    out forth froth foam love enchanted
    I can be everything still calm and sedated

Elixer
    Over and over again

Still-framed between the transitions
    A fixed fissure upon spectation
    I alone could color her ion change
    like a lite-brite skylit reception

Elixer
    Extraction

HerrulMous and sunshift like this.
  11. Jose

weightless in the valley

I songwrite everyday, but I've split days up between a solo project I've got going on and writing songs for my band. Usually the solo project songs are more straightforward and the band songs are more imagery and metaphor based (think Hands Like Houses or mewithoutYou).

12. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

Getting the balance of characters right is always a struggle. Like I said above, I'm on the sixth draft of my project now and by this point, characters have come and gone. Sometimes it feels like you're killing your babies.

13. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I wrote a horror novel and I've been editing it for way too long. Really a sit on my hands sort of thing.

14. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

15. Ainsley&MyWhetstone

Regular

I love how creative people in these forums are.

I started writing a zine over the summer, lost it all when I accidentally broke my laptop (I never back things up like I should :-/). I'm about to start working on a new zine soon, I probably won't publish it any form I really just want to make something for myself and have an outlet for my thoughts.

16. Have some writing at my personal site aav.works.

Also working on longer form stuff, but I'm undisciplined.

17. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

I'm writing scripts for an ex-Mormon podcast im doing. A lot of stuff about history and giving all the information about what actually happened.

I write posts for a small rap blog sometimes.

And then lyrics.

18. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Been writing comedy since 2010. Sketches are my favorite, but I write songs, article, movies, you name it. It's lots of fun!

19. Lindsay M

drunk on the radio waves

I used to write way more than I do now, but I think working on a phd and having to write manuscripts/book chapters for my job kinda made writing for fun seem less appealing. I started up a new blog a few months ago to try to remedy that, it's in my profile if any of yall are interested. Just some heartfelt music writing.

20. drstrong

I'm Back.

I've written a few (unproduced) short films, one of which is about to go into production later this month. Also has brought home one award at a festival last year, and possibly another one shortly!

21. Dean

Trusted Prestigious

I write for my stand-up, basically. My big aspiration creatively was always to write but at the moment that's all I'm really committed to.

JRGComedy likes this.
  22. inspectorkemp

a literal succubitch

I do plenty of lyric writing myself as well as occasionally just straight writing (you know, as opposed to homosexual writing). If it counts, I've also been setting out the plot for a webcomic I plan to begin working on... sometime in the future. My art skills aren't where I want them to do to do this project justice yet and it doesn't help that my tablet either doesn't like my new computer or has borked. Thus, I need a new one and I'm due for an upgrade anyway.

Regardless, the amount of worldbuilding and planning that's gone into this project already is enormous. It doesn't help I stopped thinking about it for a while so I've had to re-learn my own material. Either way, yeah, I've done a lot of writing and hope to only do more as time goes on.

23. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

I write songs and comics. Can relate to people about the whole world building thing. The main story I'm working on was initially developed in 2010 and I just finished writing the first run of short comics last year. So it's going to be a long process, but a really fun one.

24. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I've been writing monologues for fun. And lyrics obviously when I'm at home but when I'm bored at work mostly monologues I throw away.

25. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

probably doesn't count, but i really enjoy writing research papers and science writing is one of the things i'm looking forward to a lot career-wise. i also love writing math proofs, even though it gets frustrating at times. it's an art more than a science imo and different people have their own proof styles.

other than that i used to write poems pretty often, now i've channeled that into songwriting.