Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Write Better Songs (Encore Episode 144) Podcast

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

On this week’s episode of Encore I am joined by special guest Jesse Cannon. Jesse has credits on albums from The Menzingers, to Man Overboard, to The Cure. He has managed bands, produced bands, and has written multiple books about the music industry and navigating the current realities of being a musician and a songwriter in the internet era. He joins the show to talk about everything from authentic creativity when writing songs, to originality in music, to the biggest mistakes bands make when recording. We talk about sophomore slumps, how being emotionally aware leads to better music, and the entire idea behind bands writing albums for themselves versus for the fans. There’s a lot here, but it’s a fun one.

Hosts

Show Notes

Subscribe

You can subscribe to this podcast in iTunes, via any podcast player using our RSS feed, on SoundCloud, via Overcast, in Google Play, or on Stitcher. You can also find all of our previous episodes archived on our podcast page, iTunes, or on SoundCloud.

If you have any follow-up, questions, or a topic you’d like us to cover on a future episode, please send a tweet using the hashtag #askEncore. If you’d like to follow this podcast on Twitter we are at @encorepodcast. We love hearing from listeners and are always looking for topics both big and small to tackle. So, let us know!

If you like the podcast, could you please rate and review us on iTunes? It really does help. If you’re using the great podcast player Overcast, please hit the “recommended” button on the episodes you like. And if you have any friends that you think would like our podcast, please let them know! Word of mouth and telling people about this podcast will always be the best thing you can do to help us out. We really appreciate it.

Information about sponsoring our podcast can be found on this page, and if you become a member you get episodes a day early along with a bunch of other perks.

2. SoundInTheSignals

@Bake_Wear / soundinthesignals.com

When I think of albums that artists did as their experimental album that ended up missing the mark and hurting them a lot I always think of The Ataris 'Welcome The Night'. I really like a lot of that album, but when it came out it was met with such a huge disappointment in almost every way. Also that A Static Lullaby album Faso Latido is another that comes to mind.

Side-note: I really want Jesse to produce another Man Overboard album. If that band ever does another album I hope it is with him.

3. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Yeah 'Welcome The Night' pretty much ruined The Ataris career for the most part. They were huge with 'So Long Astoria' and the drastic change to 'Welcome The Night' just wasn't what fan wanted to hear from them I guess. I agree, it had some good songs though. I saw them a few years ago at a tiny venue in Salt Lake, like this place is basically a shed converted into a venue. Talking to Kris he seemed pretty bummed about the reception of that album, and they didn't play any songs from it at all.

SoundInTheSignals likes this.
  4. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Going to be my first Encore episode in a while. Really interested to hear you guys talk about Based on a True Story. That album should have been huge

5. bodkins

Trusted

Jesse always has some great insight, enjoy the Noise Creators podcast. I had some dealings with Johnny while booking some time through them for my band, he's a great guy as well.

6. Sander

kflkmflkm

man this makes me miss Off The Record Podcast

7. This was a fun one. Hope you all enjoy!

8. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Sick Cute Is What We Aim For burn haha.

Jason Tate and fenway89 like this.
  9. LiveFast_DieOld

Regular

Really enjoyed this conversation. Great episode

Jason Tate likes this.
  10. Incredible. Love seeing (hearing?) two of my favorite podcast hosts converge.

Jason Tate likes this.
  11. colemanbright

Now I'm curious... which FOB/TBS/RJA songs have the same chorus?

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  12. LiveFast_DieOld

Regular

I tried searching this too! haha, someone plz help

13. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Never listened to RJA, so can't help there, but the choruses of FOB's "Patron Saint of Liars and Fakes" and TBS's "Cute Without the 'E'" have a very similar melody.

14. LiveFast_DieOld Mar 3, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 6, 2017)
    LiveFast_DieOld

Regular

Guessing it's face down by RJA

fenway89 likes this.
  15. Jesse Cannon

Newbie Verified

Those are the correct songs.

Thanks for all the kind words yall, this was super fun!

16. Michael Schmidt

Hey, Jesse is in the house! Found some time away from recording/mixing for us.

Jason, have you considered doing any sort of badge/banner for certain official accounts on here? I suppose there is nothing stopping anyone from creating a profile as someone that could confuse folks. Just a thought now that I see Jesse's post.

17. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

Loved this one, really insightful. Any scene bands could really benefit from this ep. Usually not a book reader but I may give this one a shot!

Jason Tate likes this.
  18. Michael Schmidt

This was a good episode don't get me wrong. However, this is yet another reminder for band's and music creators to take their work/craft seriously. Really working to write good songs and to listen and learn from folks in the industry when the opportunities present themselves. In a way, it's kind of sad that people need to still be reminded, but it is what it is. The idea of going to work with someone to produce/mix your record and proceed to not listen or be open to suggestions is mind blowing to me. I'm sure there are discussions of the expectations of both sides so when a suggestion or new idea to try comes up it should not be an insult. I don't know, I'm done ranting haha.

Jason Tate likes this.
  19. Yeah there's a verified profile option. I'll add it to Jesse. Thanks!

20. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

This is a great episode, my favourite in a while. Loved to hear the insight Jesse brought, and I liked that it made this episode a little different.

Also, after researching, it turns out Jesse worked on of my favourite records, I Wish I Could Stay Here. So that's really cool. Gonna go check out the podcasts he presents too.

Jesse Cannon and Jason Tate like this.
  21. I'll definitely try and make sure to have @Jesse Cannon on again in the future if he'd like. It was a blast.

LiveFast_DieOld likes this.
  22. jorbjorb

7 rings

my favourite episode in a while. awesome to switch it up

23. Jesse Cannon

Newbie Verified

Always down!

24. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

I absolutely despised it for about 5 years and now I come back to it all the time.

fenway89 likes this.