Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Wrestling Thread 5: FKA The Viking Experience • Page 657

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Apr 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. preppyak

Elite Supporter

Yeah, from a WWE perspective, it's 100% Becky. Main evented two of the big 4 PPVs (and should have main evented the Rumble)...and but for a Shield reunion would have main evented Fastlane. Main evented Extreme Rules. Still a chance she'll main event TLC; but even if now, main eventing half the big PPVs may well not be something we see again until Charlotte is going for #16 and #17. Kofi's story started well after Becky's, and he's an afterthought already.

Cody is interesting from a symbolic side of things, but I think Ospreay is probably the right call overall. Will had two seperate times where he wrestled 3 consecutive 4.75* matches in under a week...just an unreal year that even Cole, etc cant touch.

2. bones

#HEEL

Dolph Ziggler

3. Mick

FKA tell that mick Prestigious

I think my top 5, when factoring in overall impact, in-ring performance, and everything else in between would probably have to look like:

1.) Becky Lynch
    2.) Chris Jericho
    3.) Johnny Gargano
    4.) Cody & the Bucks (lumped together because they make it on for the simple creation of AEW)
    5.) Will Ospreay

And then Kofi and Bray Wyatt just missing out, due to the shortness of their runs (Kofi ending too soon, Bray's starting too recently and already having some hiccups)

bigmike likes this.
  4. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

Osprey/Cole (BAY BAY)

5. domotime2 Dec 11, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 11, 2019)
    domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Becky
    Jericho
    Cody
    The fiend
    Mjf

6. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

Dan has yet again ducked me
    120CD78E-7110-42F3-9A30-2B925EEBDC08.jpeg

7. Ruethless

King of Europe

What a terrible tag team name

Groogz likes this.
  8. Ruethless

King of Europe

Oddpac87, bigmike and GrantCloud like this.
  9. Groogz

Tranquilo Prestigious

Seriously. "Joe Hendry & Dalton Castle". That's all they could come up with?

10. Ruethless

King of Europe

[​IMG]

Joe4th and Groogz like this.
  11. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

12. stonecoldnimrod Dec 11, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 11, 2019)
    stonecoldnimrod

roamer. wanderer. nomad. vagabond.

i'll be recording my end of the year episode of houston wrestling radio in a few weeks. these are our categories and my picks. runner ups are in the parenthesis.

male of the year: chris jericho (adam cole, will ospreay)
    female of the year: becky lynch (tessa blanchard)
    tag team of the year: undisputed era (lucha bros)
    breakout star of the year: the fiend (darby allin)
    moment of the year: balor's heel turn (pco powerbombed from the ring to the floor at g1 supercard)
    disappointment of the year: idiot tackling bret hart at hall of fame (roh's spiral downward)
    brand of the year: aew
    event of the year: aew double or nothing (roh/njpw g1 supercard, wwe survivor series, nxt takeover: new york)

match of the year candidates:
    styles/rollins from wwe money in the bank
    cody/dustin from aew double or nothing
    lucha bros/young bucks from aew double or nothing
    (ospreay/takagi from njpw best of super jr's final)
    ishii/takagi from njpw g1 climax
    lee/dijakovic 3 from nxt tv
    liger/suzuki from njpw king of wrestling

Shrek likes this.
  13. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

I don't even know what my favorite match of the year is. It's either Io/Candice or the Bucks/Lucha Bros ladder match.

bigmike likes this.
  15. 8F65D7F5-39DB-4E15-BDDB-045240DE9545.png

What a piece of shit

16. preppyak

Elite Supporter

17. stonecoldnimrod

roamer. wanderer. nomad. vagabond.

that's odd.
    i thought jake hager only spoke in apologies.

18. preppyak

Elite Supporter

Its tough for NJPW guys, because their crux of work is first half of the year and there's always a big lull in the fall before WK, while WWE is usually terrible all summer but starts building in the fall, but man, Ospreay's year is insane.

He averaged 4.3* over 38 rated matches in 2019. Get rid of tag matches and its 4.51* (4.65* if you get rid of Fale matches as well). Ospreay in singles matches averaged better than the best rated main roster WWE match this year (several at 4.5*), and he beat out the average of Takeover matches this year (4.2* if we leave out the Baszler/Yim dumpster fire). Ospreay was basically his own NXT. Im not sure we'll ever see anyone match that

Groogz likes this.
  19. Love to be offended by a word that means “girl” but not the currently storyline

20. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

I knew there had to be a pro-wres thread here!

Hi folks!

Been a pro-wrestling fan my entire life. Grew up a Hulkamaniac, came of age in the Monday Night Wars, spent the early 2000's going to NJ/PA/NY area indie shows (Ring of Honor, CZW, CHIKARA, et al), and did quite a bit of tape/DVD trading (focusing on Toryumon/Dragon Gate in Japan). Fell off shortly after the Benoit situation, somehow came back in to watching regularly by the time the Network came out.

Now, I co-host a wrestling podcast, have a WWE Network and NJPW World subscription, and I had the pleasure of going to three NJPW US shows this year (MSG, Fighting Spirit Unleashed NYC and Philly), and was at both the first episode of AEW Dynamite and the Full Gear PPV.

While I keep up with RAW and Smackdown for podcasting purposes, I really only care about the Wednesday Night Wars, and whatever NJPW show is next. Keep thinking about getting back into Dragon Gate, but the higher cost/weird VOD system of their Network holds me back.

Either way, hello, and I look forward to dropping into this thread moving forward.

Shrek, Henry, oldjersey and 5 others like this.
  21. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Love to tell a woman how to feel when a noted asshole paid to talk about the product publicly demeans her.

22. That’s fair - bad post by me

bigmike likes this.
  23. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

Man, Jake Hager sucks.

24. Groogz

Tranquilo Prestigious

Yeah ever since he left WWE, he's really lost his Swagger. ;-)

blast0rama likes this.
  25. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I plead the fifth

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.