Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Wrestling Thread 5: FKA The Viking Experience • Page 281

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Apr 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Stokely is the only reason that asshole showed up in my twitter feed and also the only thing in the history of Stoke’s twitter that hasn’t been pure comedy gold.

Ruethless likes this.
  2. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Even just Isaiah Scott is better. Something about the 3 names doesn’t flow as smooth. Whereas I thought Andrade Cien Almas went together pretty good. Also not a fan of the names Cameron Grimes or Jordan Myles. I guess to me they all just seem like names that would probably be changed anyway. I know it’s a weird thing to nitpick about.

3. iamNex

www.instagram.com/sadsongsalbumcovers

I really think AEW should go with Jericho as their first champion:
    1) it would instantly give meaning to the belt
    2) it would give further recognition to the promotion
    3) a heel champ this early could be a way to establish several storylines and new faces
    4) no matter how long Jericho sticks around, AEW would always have his name as their inaugural champ

M.Lee and Dirk Lyle like this.
  4. PauLo

43% Burnt

I'm in the opposite camp. Having Page as their first champ makes him an instant star. Being in a prolonged feud with Jericho will give them just as much attention IMO. Plus, they're a new company. Starting off with a guy as champ that wont be around as much as the others can attract unwanted comparisons from the very beginning, which they should be doing their best to avoid.

5. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

I'm really hoping it's Page.

Okada/Ospreay killed it just now btw

6. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

I honestly don't think either of them should be their first champion ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Page isn't ready for the spot, and I agree with the idea that they should avoid having an ex WWE guy be the first champion. That said, between the two, Jericho is the better option, BUT I do think Page will be getting the win with the idea that he'll be a star, they can give him the big babyface celebration at the end, and they won't have to deal with the criticism of having a former WWE guy be champ.

Shrek likes this.
  7. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

I'm actually not sure who I'd like to see as their first champion out of everyone. Originally thought it'd be cool if it was Omega, but then that's also like hey he's one of the bosses and that would be just like HHH winning the title in WWE.

8. iamNex

www.instagram.com/sadsongsalbumcovers

Dunno, I was just picturing this conversartion in my head:

Gary from work, at the office: u a wrestling fan, right? I haven't watched in years. Is Chris Jericho still around?
    Me: oh gary, he is champ at this new thing called aew on tnt
    Gary from work: interesting.

But then again, i live in Germany and the chances of getting a gary named co worker are low.

M.Lee, Contender and Oddpac87 like this.
  9. devenstonow

Noobie

I don't understand why Stokely Hathaway hasn't been on TV yet. Are they just waiting to find the "perfect" pairing?

10. Ruethless

King of Europe

Stokely should come on tv to try and usurp Regal's authority and power

11. preppyak

Elite Supporter

Conversely, Moxley being their first champ would actually be the opposite of a "WWE guy is the champ" narrative, since he left WWE because of creative reasons. Making him the champ and having him run a program WWE would never do is as clear a way to show how different you are (whereas Jericho is always gonna be Jericho).

Feels kind of like the CWC, where the idea that TJP won it is in retrospect hilarious...when Gargano, Ciampa, Cedric, Kendricks, Gallagher, etc were in the tourney.

But of the two, you have to go with Page because if he loses, you deflate him a lot. If you want him to be a "star", losing and then trying to chase for another 2-3 months is a good way to hurt your TV launch.

bigmike likes this.
  12. bones

#HEEL

The guy who beats the first champ is arguably more important than the guy who is the first champ

13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I thought he was going to be on tv with ACH

14. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Agreed. That's why I assumed they were going for. Jericho wins, Kenny beats him. Page after that.

bigmike likes this.
  15. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I disagree with @preppyak that page losing to Jericho would hurt page. It’s the first title match in the company lol a loss can’t hurt him right away. Especially to someone like Jericho.

M.Lee and amorningofsleep like this.
  16. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

I don't know about that. I only watch WWE so know nothing about Page. I'd rather see his story develop over the course of TV and follow his "journey" to the title and make it a satisfying conclusion. Everyone knows who Jericho is already so having him the champ at launch and seeing who's the one to dethrone him is more compelling than just giving Page the title off the rip. To me at least.

17. M.Lee

man, I'm pretty Prestigious

gee I wonder where this is going

preppyak likes this.
  18. Oh no

19. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

GCW has started to feel really choreographed.

20. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

The madman Janela pulled a Link's Awakening and the entire show was literally a dream. This stupid shit is why I love wrestling.

Oddpac87 likes this.
  21. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

yeah im not feeling great about either Jericho or Page as inaugural champ. i like Page but he would benefit from a prolonged build. it should have been Omega imo no matter how obvious. sometimes obvious is justified

22. Ruethless

King of Europe

lol the briscoes won the ROH tag titles again last night

23. Henry

Moderator Moderator

PAC dropped the Dragon Gate title.

Contender and bigmike like this.
  24. M.Lee

man, I'm pretty Prestigious

Jericho is an ex-everything guy to me. Give your biggest star the belt to open your first TV. Don't try to be too cute or overthink it. That's my take

Nick, iamNex, Contender and 1 other person like this.
  25. preppyak

Elite Supporter

LU is one of the few exceptions I can think of where they made their inaugural champ not their biggest guy (and Ricochet might well be a decent comparison for Page at the time)...but when you are pre-taping your entire show and running most of the story line through vignettes versus in-ring promos, you can get away with a lot.

And even then, Puma defended against Mundo, Cuerno, Fenix, and Cage right out of their bat, which was basically their top tier. I cant see Page going on a 6-month run over Omega/Jericho/Moxley/Cody/etc

amorningofsleep and bigmike like this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.