Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Wrestling Thread 5: FKA The Viking Experience • Page 202

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Apr 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. [​IMG]

Mick likes this.
  2. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Shoutouts to Naito

3. Ruethless

King of Europe

I expect you to ban Dan now

GrantCloud likes this.
  4. Mick

FKA tell that mick Prestigious

You guys know that you can really upset the internet by saying you eat chicken a lot?

5. lmao - hope you're doing okay man.

Mick likes this.
  6. Mick

I'm good, I promise. Mostly been hard not to respond to some of the folks out there, which I know is exactly what they want. Especially the ones who DMed me the day the article went up but then are pandering for likes by pedaling whatever other narrative. I won't name names, but I keep receipts. Honestly, I'm more upset by the fact that I ordered a bookcase from Ikea and they delivered me a twin bed instead. And now I just have a fucking twin bed sitting in the middle of our living room while I sit on hold for an hour with customer service...

But for those concerned, I had a steak salad for lunch.

bigmike likes this.
  7. I saw the discussion about the article on twitter but didn't think any of it until I read the Deadspin piece on it and I was like shit I "know" that guy what the fuck

the internet is wild and I hate it most days.

8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Wait, there is a deadspin article about Mick?

9. Mick

Yeah, Splinter did a piece on it that Deadspin shared, and then The Cut did a piece on Monday, too. Which is fine. I get it, we're all in the business of content. The thing with that Splinter/Deadspin article, at least from my point of view, is at the root of it all we're talking about the same thing at the end of the day. I had an unhealthy relationship with food at one point in my life, primarily because I was totally uninformed on smart eating habits as an 18 year old college student (and no, I won't call it an eating disorder because I never sought out professional help and was never diagnosed by an actual expert, though obviously there are many experts on the internet who have now diagnosed me) and this guy also had an unhealthy relationship with food. We're just on opposite ends of the spectrum—me under-eating, him over-eating. But we're both at a place where we feel happy and healthy about our choices, so not sure why he felt the need to attack me personally? Was really sort of bizarre.

bigmike likes this.
  10. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Wow, I didn’t think the first real thread meetup would happen because we had to get together to kick someone’s ass for going after Mick, but here we are.

Nick, devenstonow, bigmike and 2 others like this.
  11. Mick

I really loved that the writer of the piece wrote this:

but used this quote from me as a way to illuminate that point (emphasis mine):

12. yeah I found this weird "GQ (and other men’s magazines) should stop doing this. There’s got to be a better way to both gas up your buddy and offer advice to your readers on how to eat and exercise without glorifying malnourishment and exercise to the point of overexertion."

it didn't come across as glorifying anything - you specifically said you don't recommend it.

Ruethless and Mick like this.
  13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

That was a dumb read

Mick likes this.
  14. Mick

We may all hate each other, but no one else is allowed to talk shit about any of us. Even Dan.

(They can talk shit about Dan.)

15. unfortunately that's just how Deadspin/Jezebel/all the ex-gawker sites are now

16. Mick

Yeah, the overarching theme of every criticism is men's publications don't know how to talk about mens bodies. But here I was, as a man talking to another male coworker of mine, about a problematic relationship with food that I clearly disavow and know was unhealthy. So, like, are we not talking about the exact thing you wish we were talking about more? I don't really get that part of the criticism. If we had put out a piece where I was like, I GOT THIS ROCKING BOD BY GOING TO THE GYM FOR 6 HOURS A DAY AND EATING NOTHING BUT OATMEAL AND GRAINS OF RICE AND YOU CAN DO IT TOO! then yes. Fucking come at us, we deserve it. But to read the article we posted in that way requires one to just actively ignore full statements made in the story.

For the record, I have not received a single fact-checking call or email from anyone who has since written about it.

Ruethless and bigmike like this.
  17. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

As a fat dude, that’s a bad article. I understand what the author is trying to say but I feel like he’s picked a poor way to go about it. To be honest, is anyone looking to live a healthier lifestyle and shed excess weight looking at GQ for tips? I know I wouldn’t. I view GQ as a place for people already in shape looking to get even more in shape. Maybe my impression of GQ is off base, but still, that dudes article kinda sucks.

Ruethless likes this.
  18. Ruethless

King of Europe

That dude is clearly jealous that 1) He hasn't gotten to hang out with Mick and 2) isn't the fittest guy at...Splinter or Deadspin or whatever site he works at.

19. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

I eat pizza and Mexican food and burgers several times a week. Fight me internet! (I’ve also lost 20 pounds the past few months)

M.Lee, GrantCloud, Mick and 1 other person like this.
  20. my weight fluctuates a ton but obviously that happens when I'm not eating right and not working out at all. the biggest killer is soda - I'm addicted to Diet Coke and I need to just kick that habit.

21. Ruethless

King of Europe

Gatorade and goldfish crackers are the only things I consume, besides pizza

GrantCloud likes this.
  22. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Seems healthy to me

Ruethless likes this.
  23. Ruethless

King of Europe

I mean, I'm still here, aren't I?

Oddpac87 and GrantCloud like this.
  24. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I thought GQ was just a magazine where Mick talks about wrestling

bigmike, Mick and Ruethless like this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.