Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Wrestling Thread 4: The Ruethless Aggression Era • Page 424

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Aug 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

gotta give them credit. Clearly it's not about money at this point for the Bucks and Cody. They're all set for life and with that WWE offer... it would've completely locked them up financically.

but it seems like they're more interested in "changing the world". respect

2. Ruethless

King of Europe

3. Fixed Glitch

AP Attitude Era Superstar Supporter

What if AEW fails... Such a big risk for these guys if they really are turning down big money offers. If AEW fails, then Vince will hold all the power. I'd be nervous to take that chance.

4. Ruethless

King of Europe

I'm sure ROH and NJPW would welcome the bucks back no problem, probably Cody too

Joe4th likes this.
  5. preppyak

Elite Supporter

I guess define failure. If AEW becomes ROH with a better TV deal...a distant #2 but still cycling talent and putting on shows...and they have management jobs in the process...that feels like a bigger win than being a cog in the WWE machine.

Just on merch alone they can make a solid living. And the schedule is so much better (likely only working 1 show a week + PPVs...presumably with some house shows or NJPW dates sprinkled in). The Bucks worked 75 matches between WK12 and WK13. Seth Rollins has worked 75 matches since July 1st...158 matches since this time last year.

Honestly, I see NJPW allowing AEW to be their american wing and dumping ROH longer term.

Joe4th likes this.
  6. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Then they continue having the top merch lines in independent wrestling and go back to ROH and NJPW. They're at a point, in my opinion, where they can basically do no wrong and will be able to draw on the indies until they choose to retire.

Joe4th likes this.
  7. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Yeah ROH is fucked

Joe4th likes this.
  8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'm not sure there is an end date to ROH's relationship with NJPW. I think I remember something about it potentially ending after Supercard.

9. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Everyone is talking like it's over soon after the MSG show.

Can't ROH just partner up with AEW too? Just everyone combine forces against WWE.

Shrek likes this.
  10. Ruethless

King of Europe

No, keep Matt Taven away from AEW

Joe4th, Oddpac87 and Henry like this.
  11. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

ROH is on television. Doubtful they'd want to team up with another promotion that is also going to be on television.

Joe4th, Shrek and preppyak like this.
  12. AEW wanted Bandido supposedly and ROH wasted no time signing him to an exclusive deal. Along with Brody King.

Doubt we'll see ROH + AEW working together at all.

Joe4th likes this.
  13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

This is important.

Joe4th, Shrek, oldjersey and 2 others like this.
  14. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

They are gonna get desperate. What they want ain't gonna matter.

15. Henry

Moderator Moderator

loooooool

[​IMG]

Joe4th, oldjersey and slowheart like this.
  16. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Fuck that

17. Ruethless

King of Europe

I'd rather them bring back Meat or any of the other shitty characters they introduced in some of the earlier games than her

slowheart likes this.
  18. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

i think the thing i am most insterested in with AEW is the “wins and losses will matter” bit. it’s especially a little funny because Jericho has shouted that wins and losses don’t matter from a mountain top for forever.

it’s going to be really hard to make that happen for any product with weekly TV without devolving into 50/50 booking or a plethora of distraction roll ups. we’ve seen companies try, as recently as that like week long “Smackdown Top Five” concept or whatever. Impact did a similar ranking system. it is often antithetical to telling multiple stories up and down the roster consistently

i feel like we see the return of the time limit draw, and i’d be all kinds of down for that.

Nick, bigmike and oldjersey like this.
  19. Ruethless

King of Europe

They should adopt Chikara's model and give the winner of 3 matches in a row a title shot.

Shrek likes this.
  20. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I think we see lots of NJPW style tag wrestling, but even with that it's tough. New Japan doesn't have that much TV.

Shrek likes this.
  21. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

the concern there is weekly tag mish mosh is what WWE fans are already tired of

22. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Something similar to the Chikara points system is an easy way to implement wins and losses matter.

EDIT: Of all people to get ninja'd by....

Joe4th, Ruethless and Shrek like this.
  23. Ruethless

King of Europe

[​IMG]

24. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

That's true. The terrible redundant booking is what kills it for WWE though. As well as lack of variety, who knows how wide the spectrum will be for wrestlers in AEW , I feel like they will have a lot of talent involved. They also won't have to be featured every week.

Shrek likes this.
  25. Khan being the head of creative is interesting.

Hope he puts good people around him. He’s gonna need it.

I also laughed way too hard when Meltzer made a point to note that Khan had been a subscriber for 22 years

Joe4th and Shrek like this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.