Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Wrestling Thread 3: Dan vs. Cam • Page 1215

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Oct 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

*can

Shrek likes this.
  2. preppyak

Elite Supporter

Weirdly, this is the part that bothers me the most. WWE loses a lot of high ground because of how they present women, the story lines they give them, the way they rebrand talented women into lame Diva characters, etc...but when they put on something genuinely great, Dave still under rates it. There's no world in which this G1 had a dozen+ matches better than Sasha/Bayley. A 5* womens match would be a big F'in deal, and I cant see Dave giving them one anytime soon.

That Bayley tweet is especially gross.

3. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

ehh..... well I don't think ya'll are gonna like this response but some of these are 'stretches'. The only thing on that list that made me go "oof Dave no!" was his response to that Japanese wresteler domestic abuse.

The rest? The blurb about Bayley was about her character and not a comment in regards to her age. Banana in her gf's hair? huh?

This list puts him on a list of "questionable" at worst in my opinion. The part about him not being a diligent journalist made me lol though...I mean come on. Who thinks he's a real journalist haha

4. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Abort domo

Henry likes this.
  5. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

ABORT

Henry likes this.
  6. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Part of the reason I don't go around policing people who still hold shitty opinions like Meltzer is that even when there is evidence to the contrary, people pop up and go "ehh, this will be unpopular but I don't think it's that bad that he smashed a banana in his ex's hair as retribution for being dumped" or "he didn't mean what he implied about Bayley."

It's tiring and exhausting and it's just easier to write people off as pieces of garbage when they continually act like pieces of garbage without even pretending they want to learn.

I'll talk with you all day, Dan, about social justice stuff because you have the perfect mentality for it. "How can I be better?" Dave doesn't. I don't have the time or energy or interest in banging my head against the wall with someone who doesn't want to be better.

tucah, Joe4th, Mick and 4 others like this.
  7. domotime2

but that's sad though... it's easier to write people off as garbage instead of actually talking it out?

8. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Unfortunately, in my experience, yes.

9. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

Dave fucked up and it’s not the first time. it’s strange, because he is ssssooo in love with joshi... more specifically joshi from a period in time where it was truly the most niche thing in all of wrestling outside of your backwoods deep south fed. i reallly expected him to feel differently on these topics as a result.

i hate Meltzer’s influence over the wrestling hive mind, it’s so weird to me that the dude’s opinion has such a place in the mind of the average “smart” fan in a world where anyone with a cellphone can join the conversation. there is no successor to his throne as far as i can see. we lament the 72 year old man that’s in charge of the product we consume, but put on a pedestal the 58 year old man that served as the counterculture wrestling needed 25 years ago and are surprised when he comes out with his own prehistoric rhetoric.

Dave suffers from a mindset i think too many folks do: he hasn’t adjusted his sense of responsibility against the inflation of his influence. he can’t treat podcasts and WOR like shoot-the-shit sessions anymore. he is the largest unofficial voice in a medium that is largely consumed by young people who know better.

even his apology trails off into “i know my fans know what i meant”. he still didn’t take his foot off the pedal. an apology and a compromise are two separate things.

tucah, Joe4th, PauLo and 6 others like this.
  10. domotime2

i'll switch to shitting on the WWE

No worries about Bayley's big sister character having a shelf-life due to her age...they decided to portray her like a 8yo instead. No shelf-life because her career was shortened in the process anyways.

11. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I am so unbelieveably jacked up about going to takeover

Shrek likes this.
  12. Henry

Moderator Moderator

nailed it

Shrek likes this.
  13. Shrek

don’t forget the awful way he handled the Mike Elgin situation. he has fucked up a whole bunch. that doesn’t make you a bad person for enjoying his analysis or respecting the star ratings, etc. but don’t let those things skew your perception of him as a man in other areas. it’s bad for everybody.

for an example, and i’m gonna vomit saying this, but seeing how @oldjersey has shifted in his views in certain departments makes me love the guy even more. i’ve seen him get called out on shit and own up to it 100x better than Meltzer did here to .0000001% of the audience that Meltz did. hold the idols to the same standard you’d hold yourself and all that.

Joe4th, bigmike, oldjersey and 2 others like this.
  14. Mick

FKA tell that mick Prestigious

I agree with that, to an extent. At what point can you keep having the convo with someone? Meltzer is getting closer and closer to that line.

15. Shrek

anyways Dain’s gonna get bad diaper rash from that singlet unless he’s next up for a Brazilian

Joe4th and ghostedaway like this.
  16. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Cam is better at this than me.

17. domotime2

Does Meltzer still have a following? I feel like his clout over the wrestling fan has fallen tremendously over the past few years with other youtube-wrestling sites taking over. Like, I honestly dont' know the last time I went out of my way in hearing what Meltzer's opinion on something was

18. preppyak

Elite Supporter

And its even worse than that; he's working in a product that has a major issue with misogyny already (spend 5mins in a reddit live thread during a womens match...or got to a live event and hear the douches during a womens match). He has a huge ability to influence people's opinions on more than just mat ability.

His issue with Peyton Royce should be that came back to TV on the main roster as a mean girls jobber, rather than being in the spot Carmella occupies despite being significantly more talented. And that it fits a pattern of wasting female talent (see: Emma)

Mick, Shrek and Oddpac87 like this.
  19. Shrek

nah anger is a valid thing! haha
    wasn’t there some report that they moved a ton of merch or spiked a big quarter hour rating after their debut? i know it was one of the two but don’t remember the source. i’m hoping they’re in a holding pattern until we get tag belts and then they’ll be better positioned to take off.

Oddpac87 likes this.
  20. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I like Bryan Alvarez alot. MELTZER happens to be the most resourceful guy in Wrestling so I watch/read. Lol my phone autocorrected meltzer to MELTZER.

But yeah show me a person who covers wrestling as good as Meltzer and I'll go check it out. It doesn't exist. I wish Shoemaker could just jump into Meltzs shoes.

21. Shrek

you don’t have to find a new source for wrestling stuff, i just don’t think his doing a good job covering wrestling should grant him a pass in... literallly any other department

22. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Thanks for the permission lol

23. Shrek

lol stop. don’t twist this to be condescending. i was responding to your own challenge.

24. Shrek

EA9898E1-6142-4C9B-8961-CA5B865CA4C3.jpeg

Joe4th, Oddpac87 and PeacefulOrca like this.
  25. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Just building some more heat bruh

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.