Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Worst Mass Shooting in U.S. History in Orlando • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 12, 2016.

1. simonthm

2. simonthm

3. lolfpcmlol Jun 13, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 13, 2016)
    lolfpcmlol

Regular

Your argument is flawed in so many ways. You don't have to eliminate something entirely for it to be considered effective, and just because there is a second option available, that doesn't mean doing something to make the first option less appealing is futile. Yes, guns were used in Paris but you will find they have less mass shootings than we do. Yes, 9/11 was a horrible attack involving planes and by bringing that up I assuming you are trying to say 'look! guns aren't the problem! you can kill with airplanes!' does not mean we should ignore the issues surrounding guns and mass shootings.

Why is it that those that are pro-gun refuse to allow even the smallest baby steps towards a safer world? Every single other problem that claims the lives of the innocent is incrementally attacked until if at all possible it can be eradicated. With guns, so many people just say 'I didn't kill anyone and they could kill in other ways so fuck it'.

Raku likes this.
  4. Peachfuzz

I'll be with you the whole way.

I am French, and I spent the weekend in Paris to attend the Download Festival. This was my first *big* concert here since the Bataclan attacks. It felt very special. Learning this during the event was really, really terrible, and so sad. Trivium played on Sunday (they are from Orlando), and shared some words about it. Heartbreaking. People who just want to have fun, celebrate, live their life the way they want to, feel pleasure, joy, and above all, love. I have no words.

All my thoughts, all my prayers go to the victims' families, friends, and relatives, as well as with you all in the States, and especially in Florida, right now.

PS: I am an atheist, but please, never forget that religions were never meant to spread anger, and that ISIS and homophobic extremists are fanatics. They don't reflect in any way the millions of people who believe in love through religion, notably Islam. Love is All.

Aaron Mook and PandaBear! like this.
  5. GameOfThrones

Regular

i don't think banning guns is a solution. Other first world countries allow guns, they just don't use it to cause harm on the scale of Americans. I think what's needed is to fix the culture. One thing I've noticed is government officials are jackasses in America compared to other countries. Whether it's cops, tsa, border patrol, immigration officials, hell, anyone with power. What you have is a culture making people have complexes and hate in simple everyday situations. If your daily life introduces you to jerks and assholes constantly you become one yourself. It's the reason why other countries are said to be so much kinder.

6. Fuckkmerunning

I'm a gay 20 year old women born and raised in Florida. The fact that in 2016 it is still brave to be out or brave to go to a pride is so disheartening.

7. jorbjorb

7 rings

yeah other countries that allow guns do shootings as well. we just don't hear about them.

Raku likes this.
  8. GameOfThrones

Regular

fortunately for other industrialized "first world" countries they don't do mass shootings on the scale of America.

jorbjorb likes this.
  9. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

St. Nate wasn't saying you are homophobic (I don't think), rather that homophobia is the real radical ideology in this case.

10. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

It never ceases to amaze me how the gun-crazy nutjobs in this country are so adept at plugging their ears and saying "nuh-uh!" when presented with hard, concrete proof that heavily restricting (or outright banning) guns leads to a sharp and rapid decline in gun violence. Australia and England are the two most prominent examples. It works.

Then I just remember that some people just feel the need to compensate for one thing or another, and guns are way less expensive than buying a fancy sports car when it comes to making people (mostly men, really) feel better about themselves and what they may be lacking in other areas. Never doubt the capacity of people to maintain self-delusion in order to insulate themselves from reality.

Raku and NewSurrender like this.
  11. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

How do I report half a thread

12. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I thought this write up from the band 'Last Call' was a nice read and I had no idea about the meaning behind the song.

13. Janine

A foolish wanderer

Eleanor Roosevelt was completely wrong to say that little soundbite about great minds thinking of ideas and small minds thinking of people. Let's put ideology aside. This is a deeply personal matter. These are people massacred for being the people that they are. People. Not political vehicles.

I must say, I'm still reeling from all this. Hit me hard.

14. simonthm

Your whole argument is predicated on curing a symptom and not the cause. Its just so ironic watching progressives, who vehemently fight against the oppression of LGBT people, defend Islam. It's pure fucking insanity.

15. simonthm

Homophobia isn't a strong enough word to quantify Islam's stance toward homosexuals. It is by far the most oppressive. By far.

16. GameOfThrones

Regular

I hate reading texts to loved ones prior to tragedy. News is coming out that he was simply a troubled man regardless of Isis staking claim. Mental health...fix it.

17. simonthm Jun 13, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 13, 2016)
    simonthm

Dont try and shift the argument.

I am not talking about Islam's attitude of ISIS, which is simply a manifestation of one instance of extremism. Straw man's argument that I won't engage you in. Shame on you.

I'm talking about Sharia law. A law that dictates, among other stone age beliefs, that homosexuals should die. The very fucking core of their entire twisted belief structure.

The numbers on how many Muslims believe Sharia should be the supreme law are staggering. Globally, it's more than half of the 1.6 Billion Muslims. Its not even just the extreme sects that believe in Sharia. It's also the fastest growing religion on Earth.

Maybe it's just me but that's scarier than 14 million people legally owning guns in the country, the extreme majority of which are law-abiding citizens. For every gun owner in America, 0.0008% persons are killed by a gun each year.

18. lolfpcmlol

Regular

No, my whole argument is based on doing what we can as a country to make shootings like this happen less often. Radical Islam is not something that can be stopped by slapping a law on it. Preventing someone who exhibits signs of one day committing violent acts against others from obtaining a gun, is something we can do and should be doing. Also, doing that does not stop the fight against radicals and does not slow down the eventual goal of ridding the world from such violent ideals. Both can be done at once. It's pure fucking insanity to cling to a 300 year old document and your rights over the lives of innocents every time this happens. Hunting, protection against criminals, and heaven forbid, protection against the government should they turn tyrannical, hold no weight in my mind as reasons to keep things as they are and allow innocent people to be slaughtered by maniacs. We use one of these 3 reasons to justify a system that is obviously not working and it makes me sick.

Penguin, Mike, Raku and 2 others like this.
  19. jorbjorb

7 rings

gun violence is worst then knife/nunchuk violence imo

Raku likes this.
  20. GameOfThrones

Regular

If someone approached me with a knife or nunchucks id give it 50/50 that I win. If someone approached me with a gun, id give it 98% that I lose.

Penguin, PandaBear!, Raku and 3 others like this.
  21. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Where are you getting this information from? Based on my experience with Muslims in other countries, their beliefs about homosexuality aren't nearly as extreme as you make them out to be. I won't go into detail, but there are a lot of taboo things going on that are pretty questionable.

There isn't a single country that uses Sharia as law. Every country is governed using their own laws. Sure, there are people taking things into their own hands, but it isn't a prevalent as you seem to think.

I won't touch the gun stuff.

Raku likes this.
  22. Jacob Davidson

Regular

Doesn't seem like anyone who is pro gun has been even remotely affected by gun violence. That, or they are being blatantly obtuse.

Raku likes this.
  23. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

(Just posting two links, don't take this as me arguing anything please. Just answering what you're asking.)
    Chapter 3: Morality
    Application of sharia law by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

24. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

The excuses or reasons, are usually baffling, as well.

Raku and Jacob Davidson like this.
  25. simonthm

Wow. Wow. Wow.

You have confirmed my suspicion that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I mean it sincerely when I say I actually feel kind of bad for you.

Thank you for ending the argument for me.