Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Worst Mass Shooting in U.S. History in Orlando • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Mike

A terrorist group can and will claim responsibility for terrorist acts, even if it wasn’t linked to them at all. It furthers their goals.

That is not logic. I should not have to point this out but inanimate objects are not people. Guns should be heavily restricted, if not outright eliminated. There is NO reason for a citizen to own an assault weapon, the only thing that weapon is used for is to kill people. Efficiently.

I refuse to get into a long winded argument about this, so don't bother. Battling hatred with hatred does not work. As a homosexual my heart aches for the families, friends and our community. My sadness will not be manipulated into furthering hatred for a different minority group. I will practice love and compassion because I am still alive to do so.

2. Tomozaurus

Regular

Compounded by the fact that this will not be the first time ISIS has claimed involvement in a terrorist attack they were not actually involved in.

3. jrock920

Regular

r.i.p to all the families who affected very sad

4. pocketwriter

Avoiding any political ties to the incident, or about the man himself, I'm just sad. I feel empty. I don't have any real connection to it, but I'm still destroyed.

5. GameOfThrones

Regular

a sad thing about this is that it's so easy for something like this to happen. Guns aren't expensive or hard to get. And the time it takes for such a thing...it takes minutes. The US has mass killings seemingly all the time, but I'm surprised it doesn't have more. It just takes one "crazy" person or "extremist" to cause such carnage.

Raku and Kizwiz like this.
  6. simonthm

Yea it absolutely is.

Not only is banning guns a futile exercise (Paris, 9/11, Brussels), it in no way addresses the root cause: a flawed cancerous ideology.

No culture has done more for women or the LGBT community then the western democratic capitalist society, warts and all. That progress is being threatened by the same cancerous ideology.

I'm sure you saw the video of the gay man being thrown off a building to his death just for being gay.

Guns aren't the main issue here.

7. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

This man insults my family and my heritage.

8. armistice Jun 12, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 12, 2016)
    armistice

Captain Vietnam: Bestower of Tumors

That's actually their MO. Rukmini's Twitter today does a good job at explaining it.

Yea they absolutely are.

Not a single person that I have seen, read, or heard about (with the exception of those legally bound to not comment one way or another) has denied his pledged subscription to ISIS.

This was a shooting. It happened because the shooter wanted to kill people, bought guns to kill people, and then killed people.

And with absolutely no intention of interrupting the grief for this tragic event, you'd do well to realise 10 other people were killed today by guns, 25 others wounded. ~6000 dead this year, and >12,000 wounded. So fuck off with your ridiculous continued ignorance. The ease of obtaining guns is unequivocally related to the number of people killed and wounded by guns in this country.

9. Mike

Thank you, armistice, for your post as it sums up my feelings. As I stated before, there is no reason to purchase an assault weapon other than to kill people.

10. simonthm

Very mature. Getting angry and then telling someone else how they should feel. Hmm.

You can save the murder stats you quickly googled- I live in Chicago. Here the violence is also correlated to the culture that perpetuates it. Guns are merely a means to an end.

Not all Muslims are extreme. Only 10% of 1.6 billion. That's at 160 million people on this planet that want all homosexuals dead. Period.

According to your stats and the 14 million gun owners in this country, 0.0008% of those gun owners will murder someone.

IMO radical ideology is a bigger issue. But I'm not gonna tell someone to fuck off over it. Lame.

11. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

fuck off with any rhetoric that pits to minority groups against each other. hint: yours
    here's you radical ideology, homophobia.

DarkHotline, Raku and armistice like this.
  12. Expanse

I feel so empty after this.

Nothing will change. Muslims will be blamed. I will hear that the LGBTQ community deserved it. None of this will be true. But nothing will be done about it. Donald Trump will still be the nominee.

I am straight and an atheist. But I am so sorry about all of this.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  13. armistice

Here you go, dipshit:

And I didn't even include the ones that were still unconfirmed. So to reiterate, "Fuck off."

Carmensaopaulo, DarkHotline and Raku like this.
  14. armistice

Hit me up with your "10% of Muslims are extreme" (which you implied to mean would love to murder all of us) source though.

Penguin, DarkHotline and Raku like this.
  15. Jonesy

Be my alibi?

I really hate how desensitized to news like this I've become. Don't get me wrong as I'm saddened by the news. But nothing will change except for those immediately impacted by the events.

While much, if not all, the focus will be on guns and it's definitely hard to ignore the correlation between a gun and it's main purpose; to kill. The bigger issue which isn't being addressed enough is the ideology which encourages hatred, violence, and harm which are things that are nearly impossible to predict or stop.

Ban guns, gun violence will decrease. That's just logic. Ban cars and there will be less car accidents. Same logic follows. The biggest difference is that guns are a tool used in violence and anger. Removing a tool doesn't remove the anger and a tool can be supplemented by something else in which that anger can be released.

While doing a little research I came across this statistic comparing vehicle deaths to gun violence:
    Gun Deaths Compared to Motor Vehicle Deaths

something I find extremely interesting is that is not noted is that since the explosion of the internet and technological age vehicle deaths have been declining while gun violence has slowly increasing every year. The internet and technological growth has allowed for better safety testing and measurements while at the same time the internet is a new platform for communication and hatred, many could argue that bullying increased exponentially with the arrival of social media, which means individuals who are angry have an easier time finding other like minding individuals or individuals capable of convincing them to do horrendous things.

16. armistice

Here's my issue with this argument...."Ban guns, gun violence will decrease."

17. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

armistice forever got a free pass out of whatever he/she posts from here on out for what's been said, you're the best.

18. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

See, banning guns is basically impossible in this country. You can't just take away that right after hundreds of years of that being a right because of gun violence, that would cause more problems than it's worth. Violence in American culture is very much engrained, our society revolves around it. Guns are a symptom of a much larger problem than banning won't fix, you literally have to change an entire culture that thrives on getting even and giving people what's coming to them to make that work. Restriction is the only realistic way for this to go, banning outright would turn this cesspool into something worse. That and a better education system on violence in society and why it's wrong, that's the only realistic way to deal with this issue. Or make a box of shells $100 a pop, whatever works.

supernovagirl and coleslawed like this.
  19. Jonesy

Be my alibi?

care to elaborate?

20. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

In a perfect world, all the different groups that you feel the need to protect (because of their minority status) would never clash. But here we are, and you should take a side on this. Islam needs to be reformed. Just like the other major religions had to in the past. A large chunk of Muslims worldwide believe in honor killings, murdering gays, enacting Sharia law, murdering non-Muslims, murdering former Muslims, spousal abuse, suicide bombing, etc. You can deflect and point out that other religions have had these violent beliefs too. But, right now, it's radicalism within Islam that carries the torch for religious violence in the 21st century. I have no problem with those that bring up the gun aspect, even if I disagree with them. But to deny that radical Islam is the catalyst for this attack is intellectually dishonest. It's an attack against the gay community, which happens to fit within the ideology of radical Islam.

21. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

Violent crime in the US has been steadily declining for many years.

22. jorbjorb

7 rings

good luck to my american friends. this is fucked.

23. jorbjorb

7 rings

It needs to, but it wont. I don't see it happening. They love their damn guns down there.

Raku likes this.
  24. simonthm

What did I say that was homophobic?

Please provide an example.

I'll wait.

25. simonthm

Thank you. You put this more eloquently than I could have. What's frightens me isn't the extremist. It's the silent moderate majority who don't condemn these attacks.