Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

World/Independent Cinema Discussion Thread • Page 9

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by brandon_260, Jul 27, 2017.

1. username

hey you lil piss baby

2. username

hey you lil piss baby

Berlinale awards:

Golden Bear
    Synonyms (Nadav Lapid)
    Silver Bear — Grand Jury Prize
    By the Grace of God (François Ozon)
    Silver Bear — Alfred Bauer Prize
    System Crasher (Nora Fingscheidt)
    Silver Bear for Best Director
    Angela Schanelec (I Was At Home, But)
    Silver Bear for Best Actor
    Wang Jingchun (So Long, My Son)
    Silver Bear for Best Actress
    Yong Mei (So Long, My Son)
    Silver Bear for Best Screenplay
    Maurizio Barucci, Claudio Giovannesi, Roberto Saviano (Piranhas)
    Silver Bear for Outstanding Artistic Contribution
    Rasmus Videbæk (Out Stealing Horses)

So glad to see Schanelec and Lapid get this level of recognition. Two of the best and most underseen directors working right now.

3. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Doing 30 movies from 30 different countries this month, no rewatches. Saw Birds of Passage today and really enjoyed it.

gonz (Alex) and angrycandy like this.
  4. username

hey you lil piss baby

Trying to catch that one this week if I can escape my unending stream of assignments for a couple hours

5. username

hey you lil piss baby

gonz (Alex) likes this.
  6. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Finally saw Shoplifters and goddamn was it ever worth the wait

jkauf and username like this.
  7. The only showing of Shoplifters around here (as far as I know of, might have missed it somewhere else) was last night the same night I was seeing Better Oblivion

In better news of actually getting to see a film, I got tickets for both Transit and Asako for Sunday @username

8. username

hey you lil piss baby

Definitely post what you think after you see them! I've been thinking of Transit pretty much daily since I saw it in September.

9. username

hey you lil piss baby

Some relevant stuff:

I guess Kent Jones' (NYC critic/film programmer) directorial debut is coming to VOD this weekend. Been curious about this for a while, he was one of the first critics I really took notice of when I started reading film criticism. Plus, it had a spot in last year's Locarno competition, which is, for my money, the most exciting film festival competition happening these days.

Also, Cinema Scope (Canadian film publication, imo one of maybe two English language print publications worth paying attention to) finally released their best of 2018.

1. An Elephant Sitting Still (Hu Bo)
    2. The Image Book (Jean-Luc Godard)
    3. La flor (Mariano Llinas)
    4. Transit (Christian Petzold)
    5. What You Gonna Do When the World's On Fire? (Roberto Minervini)
    6. Long Day's Journey Into Night (Bi Gan)
    7. Happy as Lazzaro (Alice Rohrwacher)
    8. Burning (Lee-chang Dong)
    9. The Other Side of the Wind (Orson Welles)
    10. High Life (Claire Denis)

HM: Asako I & II, Ash is Purest White, The Grand Bizarre, In My Room, L. Cohen

coleslawed and yung_ting like this.
  10. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Out of curiosity, what would you say are the other best English language film pubs, print or online? Most of the popular ones are pretty limited when it comes to lesser known stuff.

11. username

hey you lil piss baby

My favourties are Cinema Scope, Film Comment, and Reverse Shot. They're all review/feature/interview based, not doing any news reporting (idk if this is something you're seeking).

Cinema Scope shapes most of its issues around major festivals (Berlin, Cannes, Locarno, Venice) and publishes quarterly. Cinema Scope | Expanding the Frame on International Cinema
    Film Comment covers films more in line with their American release dates, but also does festival/rep. coverage. They publish in print every 2 months, though I'm not really familiar with their online content. Film Comment Magazine
    Reverse Shot is online only and pretty much only does reviews in line with their NY release dates. Reverse Shot

There's a lot of overlap between who writes where, both within these publications and outside. So, outside of following these three publications pretty closely, I think finding the writers you like and following them is most useful, since they're almost always publishing in different places.

WordsfromaSong likes this.
  12. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Watched Capernaum sand After the Storm today, loved both

13. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Awesome, thanks. I mostly use indiewire for news but they've gotten a little click-baity. I follow a few critics but I've been looking for a way to keep up with more of the foreign films that don't crossover as much. I mostly just wish the Dissolve was still around haha.

14. username

hey you lil piss baby

15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

coleslawed and SpyKi like this.
  16. Well those were definitely two very different films involving pretty complex romances lol

I really enjoyed both of them. Looking forward to reading some reviews next time I have some time

17. username

hey you lil piss baby

Cannes line up coming in a couple weeks. Some heavily rumored films:

A Hidden Life (Terrence Malick)
    The Dead Don't Die (Jim Jarmusch)
    Pain and Glory (Pedro Almodovar)
    Portrait of a Lady on Fire (Celine Sciamma)
    Ahmed (Dardennes)
    Sorry We Missed You (Ken Loach)
    The Passenger (Corneliu Porumboiu)
    Beanpole (Kantemir Balagov)
    The Fire Next Time (Mati Diop)
    The Truth (Hirokazu Kore-eda)

coleslawed and WordsfromaSong like this.
  18. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Didn’t know Dardennes had something ready, hell yes

19. username

hey you lil piss baby

20. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

An Elephant Sitting Still is out, gonna watch it on Thursday

21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

22. username

hey you lil piss baby

Did you end up checking it?

23. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Unfortunately not, a friend ended up swinging by but it’s lined up for my next day off. I’m a little intimidated by the length but very excited to see it!

24. username

hey you lil piss baby

True! It's definitely a daunting commitment when it comes to approaching something that long, but in my experience with the film, I definitely didn't feel the length.