Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

World/Independent Cinema Discussion Thread • Page 7

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by brandon_260, Jul 27, 2017.

1. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

I really loved Loveless, think I'm going to check out Leviathan on my next day off.

I'm going to start going through and watching major works from directors I've never delved into (out of laziness mind you, not disinterest) and thinking of starting with Bergman. Have only seen The Seventh Seal so I was thinking of rewatching that along with Wild Strawberries, Persona and Hour of the Wolf. Anybody got a couple other recommendations of his? (paging @Swae Lee)

2. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

The tv version fanny and Alexander is one of the ten best films I’ve ever seen, full stop.

3. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Good to know, quite a time commitment so I'll probably knock the others out and come back to that.

TJ Wells likes this.
  4. username

hey you lil piss baby

Shame!!!!

5. username

hey you lil piss baby

I ride hard for 60s Bergman from The Silence forward.

6. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

U got it! That will round out my marathon.

7. username

hey you lil piss baby

Caught Burning yesterday which is absolutely incredible. I was worried it wouldn't live up to the insane hype or Lee Chang-dong's other films, but it easily ranks among his best. The wait it subtly shifts from unassuming drama to thriller is kind of insane. Definitely will be one of the key films of 2018.

8. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

omg, a Murakami adaptation? sign me up

9. username

hey you lil piss baby

Yeah! I haven’t actually read the short story, but Murakami is my fave writer. I was pretty excited to see one of my favourite directors adapt my favourite writer and the end result is pretty stunning.

(I think the film is already online w/ subs)

10. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

I didn't know you could read!
    unsurprisingly great taste, my guy. Colorless Tsukuru fucked me right up, I gotta dive into more of his stuff. Also, that is v exciting and I am watching this first thing on my next day off and will report back

11. username

hey you lil piss baby

Gee, thanks!

That's the novel that got me into him, picked it up on a whim when I saw the fantastic book design (the OG hardcover) and read the first sentence lol. I've probably read 5-6 of his novels since then, but Colorless Tsukuru remains the favourite. Can't wait to pick up his latest on Tuesday.

12. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

I had no idea about this so you just made my day

Swae Lee likes this.
  13. username

hey you lil piss baby

One of the new shorts from my favourite Canadian director is streaming for free on Festival Scope until October 28. Beautiful, quietly devastating work shot on stunning b&w 16mm. It's only like 9 minutes, so I hope some of you give it a chance. Sofia is genuinely one of the best working directors at the moment and this short work might honestly be her greatest film yet.

Veslemøy's Song | Festival Scope

algae likes this.
  14. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

has anyone seen Transit yet? I haven't watched any Petzold yet but it's playing here soon and I'm thinking of trying to catch it

15. username

hey you lil piss baby

Yes, it’s fucking unbelievably good. Currently number 4 on my best of 2018 list. I ride hard for Petzold (I’d say he’s one of the 3-4 best working directors right now) and this is probably his best.

16. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Holy shit, okay! I'm gonna watch Phoenix this week and then catch that when it plays next week.

17. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Got Mubi so I can watch some films at work on slow days. Started my day with Like Father, Like Son and it's phenomenal, can't wait to see Shoplifters

Swae Lee likes this.
  18. username

hey you lil piss baby

Honestly, Like Father, Like Son is low tier Koreeda for me. Still Walking is the one that fucked me up the most.

19. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

This is my first exposure to him but I'm pretty deeply moved by it. If that's the case, I'm very excited to see more

20. username

hey you lil piss baby

New Nuri Bilge Ceylan is out there with English subs for anyone not getting it close to them.

21. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Everything I’ve read about this sounds incredible

22. username

hey you lil piss baby

His track record is pretty exceptional, I’m very excited to see it. It opened here yesterday so hopefully this week.

23. username

hey you lil piss baby

Whooaaa, Milla is finally out there, so I assume it is also available legally somehow. I genuinely think this is one of the 5 best films to come out this decade. I highly urge anyone that reads to this to give it a chance. It very much falls under the umbrella of "slow cinema," but its also one of the most tender films I've seen that could be classified as such. If anyone is genuinely interested in seeing it and can't find it, feel free to PM me for help.

yung_ting likes this.
  24. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Got some catching up to do (finally set aside time for Burning tomorrow) but I’ll definitely be watching it

25. username

hey you lil piss baby

Also, I think Happy as Lazzaro is coming to Netlflix this weekend. I heard Netflix has distribution and its opening here on Friday. Trying to catch that, The Wild Pear Tree, and At Eternity's Gate. Big weekend.