Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

World/Independent Cinema Discussion Thread • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by brandon_260, Jul 27, 2017.

1. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Idk. I liked it.

2. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

has anybody seen The Untamed? been curious about it and it just hit the usual spots a few days ago, probably going to watch it on my day off Thursday

3. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

It’s pretty good. Nothing mind blowing but it’s quite visceral. It takes pretty heavy influence from Possesion (one of the greatest films ever made!), if you’ve seen that. I much prefer the director’s previous film Heli though. I think you’ll like The Untamed.

4. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Possession (1981)? I'll add both to the list

5. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

That’s the one! It’s such a wild trip. I think you would love it.

6. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Grasshopper are streaming Straub-Huillet's brilliant 8 minute short En Rachachant for free right now. One of my favorites works from one of the greatest duos in film making history. It's significantly more playful and comedic than most of their work. Based on a Marguerite Duras story and originally played as a prelude to Rohmer's Pauline on the Beach. Highly recommended.

Short Film: “En rachâchant” by Jean-Marie Straub & Danièle Huillet

7. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

The Breadwinner was real good. Beautifully animated.

Joel likes this.
  8. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

woah yeah that art style looks really nice

@brandon_260 did you see Rat Film on KG or something? It's not in the usual spots

suicidesaints likes this.
  9. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

ayyyy thanks! I'll let you know if I come across it sooner, I'm only on IPT

10. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

If you wind up putting it on Google Drive, and don't mind, please hook me up too. I can't find Rat Film anywhere either.

11. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

The story was good too, but slightly confusing at parts. The animation was awesome though, but I'm kind of a sucker for various animation styles, so...

12. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I got you guys, I’ll be home in a few hours so I’ll see what I can do. Just gonna delete that post now in case I get in troubs.

suicidesaints likes this.
  13. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I wear my infractions like a badge of honour

brandon_260 likes this.
  14. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I saw the new Philippe Garrel film while in Lisbon the other day and I can't get it out of my head. The mood of the film is very similar to Hong Sang-soo's The Day After (my favorite of 2017). It's probably my favorite of the 6-7 Garrel films I've seen to date. We've got a month long retrospective of his work beginning on the 25th, excited to see as much of his work as I can. Definitely a film to watch out for (it has since leaked, but there's no subs yet.)

15. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Hey friends. I wrote this piece on some of the incredible Canadian films that premiered last year. Just wanted to share it because I think there’s something really special happening right now and I know a lot of you would appreciate the films I’m trying to shine a light on.

Bad Film Students

16. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I can't open it at work but I'll read it ASAP!

Also, Lover for a Day sounds great. Always meant to check out In the Shadow of Women and just never got around to it

17. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

:heart:

Joel likes this.
  18. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Brando this is incredible, you are clearly so knowledgable and passionate about this stuff. Can't wait to dive in and watch whatever I can find.

19. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Awww, thanks so much, seriously. I put a lot into this and the reception and kind words I've gotten from people (including many of the directors) has been heartwarming. I'll definitely keep an eye out and let you know when stuff pops up. As of now, I think only Maison du Bonheur is "out there." But others should be popping up throughout the year, I would hope.

20. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

21. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Would it be split up into multiple nights or is this a "make a day of it" sort of thing?

22. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Probably one day. They screened Lav Diaz’s 10.5 hour Evolution of a Filipino Family over one day last year.

23. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

During the recent Karagarga freeleech period, I managed to grab the majority of the filmographies of Ozu, Kurosawa, Bergman, Godard, Melville, Tarkovsky, and Fellini. Going to be a good year.

24. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

A co-worker just brought up the movie, Wild Tales, which I loved, so it made me Google, Damian Szifron to see what he was up to... I'm not seeing much. Anyone know if he's working on another film? Or any recommendations for stuff similar to Wild Tales?

25. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Oh wow, I had forgotten about this film. No clue what he is up to. But if you're looking for similar stuff (as far as I can remember of the film), have you watched any Pedro Almodovar?