Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

World/Independent Cinema Discussion Thread • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by brandon_260, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Post the list of everything you're seeing!

2. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

TIFF17 / TIFFR

The one I didn't get tickets to was the new Hirokazu Koreeda.

3. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Awesome, lots of interesting stuff that I of course haven't heard of. Occidental and Caniba both sound very much up my alley, excited to hear your recommendations coming out of the fest - pretty intense schedule you got there haha

4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

5. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I'm so glad that film is still happening. I thought it got shelved when the new film was announced for Cannes this year.

6. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Did some shuffling and additions to my TIFF schedule and now I'm having a mini Cannes today with The Killing of a Sacred Deer, BPM, and Happy End.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  7. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

My two most anticipated films for the rest of the year. My jealousy can't go unmentioned

8. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

If the two you're talking abt are Happy End and Sacred Deer, I am sorry to say that they're both probably my least favorite from their directors. If one is BPM, then I am happy to report that it's incredible. Best film I've seen at the fest so far by a decent amount.

9. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

The new Bruno Dumont film is insane. I think it might be his masterpiece.

10. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Has anyone seen anything by Kornél Mundruczó? I just saw Jupiter's Moon and I think it's the worst thing I've seen this year.

11. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I loved White God but heard this one is a mess, still gonna check it out

brandon_260 likes this.
  12. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I still haven't seen anything else, so I'm kind of curious if everything is like this. But on the other hand, I don't really want to see anything else by this guy after that lol.

13. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Is Daphne supposed to be good? Been curious about watching it

14. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

One of my absolute favorite films this year is streaming for free on Festival Scope right now! It's called Maison du Bonheur by a local Toronto film maker Sofia Bohdanowicz. Her style is somewhere between Chantal Akerman and Agnes Varda. This film absolutely floored me when I saw it at Hot Docs and has stuck with me all year. It's only an hour long and this opportunity to stream maybe be the only chance to see it. It'll likely never get distribution which could lead to it never really ending up online again. I would love if someone checked this out on my recommendation. I think Sofia is the most talented film maker working in Canada right now and every one of her films has moved me deeply. Anyways, you can check the film at this link: Maison du bonheur | Festival Scope

algae likes this.
  15. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

16. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Joel likes this.
  17. algae

Regular Prestigious

Did I miss the opportunity to watch this?

18. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

It seems so, but check yr inbox

19. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Saw Thelma without knowing anything about it with MoviePass. Quite enjoyed it.

There's a spanish language movie (not sure the country) called "Oro" that I'm thinking about using MoviePass to check out, but I can't seem to find much info on it.

20. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

woah, I'd never heard of Thelma but I adore his other movies. Very excited to see it.

Just looked up Oro and, while the scene was cut, will not be watching it due to the animal cruelty

21. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I feel like I've seen Oslo August 31st before, but I don't remember it, really. Thelma was really good though. If you get a chance to see it, let me know what you think.

That's fucked up about Oro. Where'd you find info on it? I had a tough time finding much.

22. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I definitely will! Louder Than Bombs is great too.

I just looked at the wiki page for it, they killed and disemboweled a dog on set and cut the scene after outrage

23. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

what in the fuck?!?!

24. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Thelma is waaaaaaaaaaaack. Didn't like Louder than Bombs either. Oslo, August 31st still a masterpiece.

25. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

pfttttttt