Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

World/Independent Cinema Discussion Thread • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by brandon_260, Jul 27, 2017.

1. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

It's a lot more lifeless. But I guess it is "better".

2. Morrissey

Trusted

The Bling Ring was my least favorite Sofia Coppola film, but I have been meaning to watch it again to see if I missed something.

3. Morrissey

Trusted

I am worried that the diminishing critical praise and financial success since she peaked with Lost in Translation might have broken her. Marie Antoinette and Somewhere are amazing films, but the lack of recognition compared to Lost in Translation might have been what led to more mainstream efforts like The Bling Ring and The Beguiled. Even A Very Murray Christmas, which was so fun, is a sort of mailing it in approach.

4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Dunkirk took place in another country, right? That's world cinema

5. Morrissey

Trusted

You should be threadbanned.

brandon_260 likes this.
  6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I've resigned myself to the fact that unless I'm going to see a new independent movie in theaters, it's going to be a long, long time before I watch it at home. I have so much trouble sitting down and focusing on a film if I'm watching it by myself.

Being such an asshole, I made it about 3/4 of the way through In the Mood For Love before something came up and I had to turn it off. I never returned to it. I enjoyed what I saw but seemed to be missing some of the brilliance since so many people praise it highly.

7. Morrissey

Trusted

I was underwhelmed by In the Mood for Love the first time I saw it, but the second time it really moved me. One of the best uses of colors in modern cinema.

8. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I really struggled with that film the first time, but every subsequent viewing has made it open up more and more. I think on top of being this complex study of human emotions and relationships, it's also maybe the most beautiful looking film ever made. I would now consider it one of my two favorite films.

9. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Yeah it'd help for me to actually finish it.

Do you know how many times I've had Seven Samurai in my BD player before taking it out and putting something shorter in? Over 10, probably

10. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Locarno started yesterday. Usually a hotbed for under the radar films. For anyone unaware, prior winners of their top prize include films by Lav Diaz, Hong Sang-soo, Albert Serra, Claire Denis, and Jafar Panahi.

Really looking forward to reports on the new films from Denis Cote, Wang Bing, Ben Russell, and Serge Bozon. One of my favorite Toronto film makers, Kazik Radwanski, has his new short playing there too.

11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

This is Not a Film was fascinating, I need to get more into his filmography. Same with Leos Carax. There was a solid period where I delved deep into world cinema for the first time. I need to get back into my groove.

12. Morrissey

Trusted

Jafar Panahi's Offside is a masterpiece. It is a rare film that blends a political statement with a strong and moving narrative.

13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I'll buy the first 3 Criterion recs I get that I don't already have. Go

14. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Revanche

OhTheWater likes this.
  15. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Two Days One Night, M

OhTheWater likes this.
  16. Morrissey

Trusted

Top of the Lake is out there now. It will be on Sundance later this year.

17. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

The Other Side of Hope is out there now also

18. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

The Other Side of Hope is great, Kaurismaki is far too overlooked.

Looking forward to catching up with new Top of the Lake, but I think I'm going to set aside time to watch it all in one day like I did with the first season.

Joel likes this.
  19. Morrissey

Trusted

I am three episodes into Top of the Lake so far. It suffers from having to wrap up the remaining threads of the first season, but so far it has been very similar to the first. The inexperienced cop has been too much of a stereotype so far, but there is half a season to redeem her.

20. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

While making Good Time, Safdie wanted Pattinson to jerk off a dog for a shot that didn't make the final cut and told him to "not be a pussy" but he refused. Kind of fucked up.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  21. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

23. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

24. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Festival Scope is streaming films from Locarno's Filmmakers of the Present section for free the next two weeks. Checking out Scary Mother this morning. Locarno Festival 2017 | Festival Scope

25. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Wow, Scary Mother was absolutely incredible. The second best film I've seen this year and easily the best debut feature I've seen in a year or two. It's available via that link I posted above, but you'll need to set a proxy to Switzerland to watch it. I urge you guys to check it out, especially since it's not likely to pop up online again any time soon, as these Locarno films can typically go well beyond a year between premiere and when they end up on torrent sites. If anyone is interested and needs a hand with figuring out a proxy, feel free to DM me cause the one I use is so simple and works perfectly with FS every time.