Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

World/Independent Cinema Discussion Thread • Page 11

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by brandon_260, Jul 27, 2017.

1. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

oh fuck, I’m so excited

2. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

3. username

hey you lil piss baby

Seems like Beanpole is up on Mubi in the UK and, as a result, also "out there." Saw it at TIFF last month and was one of my favorites of the festival. Won the Best Director prize in the UCR section at Cannes this year. (The whole awards slate for that section is insane this year, probably the best of any section at any intl fest this year)

4. username

hey you lil piss baby

@yung_ting I feel like you were asking me about the new Bonello at some point? (maybe I'm wrong)

But it's streaming on MUBI UK now if you have a VPN or can find a rip.

5. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Zombi Child? Loved Nocturama and definitely want to see that too. Beanpole too!

6. username

hey you lil piss baby

Yeah, Zombi Child! I haven't seen a rip yet but it's up for the next month.

7. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Awesome, I have a VPN and I’m pretty sure my Mubi sub is still active, will watch this week and let ya know

username likes this.
  8. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Anyone heard any updates on Damian Szifron's Misanthrope? It's been 5 years since Wild Tales and I need something new.

9. username

hey you lil piss baby

I saw Young Ahmed last night. The whole “this was made by two WHITE MEN... in EUROPE.... in 2019?!?!” that people were shouting out before it premiered and into the reviews (especially on Letterboxd) feels so disingenuous after having seen it. Like no one that watched the film did any work to look beyond the logline. It’s hardly about Islam, or even radicalization. These ideas are present, obviously, but the whole film is just another one of the stories of a child in crisis. I can see people taking issue with using these as vessels to explore a character, but that doesn’t read as inherently problematic to me and doesn’t seem to be the main concern people are raising (from what I’ve seen at least). It’s not as rewarding as their best works, but it’s very affecting and one of my favourites of the year.

10. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

That’s really heartening, I was apprehensive from the initial wave of reviews but they are such empathetic filmmakers that I had trouble believing they mishandled the subject matter to the degree that some made it seem, can’t wait to see it

11. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Has anyone seen Pain and Glory yet?

12. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Tomorrow afternoon for me!

riotspray likes this.
  13. username

hey you lil piss baby

It's really good! I had relatively low expectations (Almodovar's output this decade has been pretty spotty) but I found this pretty moving and his best in at least 10 years. It's clearly Almodovar's work - both in form and content - but it's got a relaxed tone that's pretty far from the eccentricities of his early works. Definitely feels like his first film as an old man (I mean this as a positive).

riotspray and yung_ting like this.
  14. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Thanks. May try to catch it this weekend.

15. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Pain and Glory was fantastic, absolutely loved it and feel very lucky to have caught it on a screen

Watched Dogman last night and thought it was great despite the lukewarm reception. Haven’t watched anything Garrone has done since Gomorrah but gonna change that now

riotspray and SpyKi like this.
  16. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

watched An Elephant Sitting Still this morning and I am deeply moved

17. username

hey you lil piss baby

It's a masterpiece

yung_ting likes this.
  18. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

I have so many thoughts and feelings but I don’t want to sound like an idiot working through them in real time. This will be sticking with me for a long time, but the one thing I feel confident about is that reducing this opus to a bleak suicide note seems totally reductive. From the opening moments we’re told about something completely still - something that all four are drawn to yet contrasted by how we follow in long shots of consistent, rhythmic movement. I think they may have eventually found that stillness, whatever that means

19. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

y'all should rec me some films

20. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

of my recent watches (all from this year)
    An Elephant Sitting Still
    Our Time
    Bacurau
    Ash Is Purest White
    Knife + Heart
    Atlantics
    Diamantino

angrycandy likes this.
  21. angrycandy

thank you. I'll check em out

yung_ting likes this.
  22. username

hey you lil piss baby

A lot of the conversation around it has been so reductive, only talking about it as bleak/with regard to suicide. I think there’s hope or solance buried in the film though and that’s why it resonated to strongly. It is really overwhelming but I felt so secure after watching it.

Tell me what you like I cannot blind rec films to most people lol

yung_ting likes this.
  23. angrycandy

cult films, horror films, surreal films, foreign films, idk...stuff like that

24. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

For surreal, just watched and really enjoyed Syndromes and a Century and Cemetery of Splendour.

angrycandy likes this.
  25. angrycandy

nice. thank you

jkauf likes this.