Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

World Air Guitar Championships

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

NPR:

Great rock guitarists need great nicknames. There’s Slash, Slowhand and The Edge.

Meet a new one: Airistotle. No, that’s not a misspelling. The nom de rock belongs to Matt Burns, a waiter and world-class competitive air guitarist living in New York City. He decided to try air-rocking almost a decade ago when he saw the documentary Air Guitar Nation.

And:

But his creative niche is air guitar. Competitors generally use the same routine for a year, then create a new one in time for the start of a new air guitar season.

Burns’ creative process involves a couple of months of listening to pop-punk songs — he grew up with Green Day and Sum 41, he says — and narrowing it down to a song he likes. Then he crystallizes his performance routines with the help of a few friends.

You can watch all of the performances here. Today is better because I learned this exists.

2. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

so I just watched the video.............what differentiates someone that is good at this and someone that is terrible?

Raku, morken and CMilliken like this.
  3. jorbjorb

7 rings

this is amazing

4. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

A guy I do improv with does this, he prepares, practices, and has training sessions all year for it.

5. kielhauck

itsalldead.com @kielhauck

I can't read this and not picture Turk and The Cool Cats from Scrubs.

SmithBerryCrunch and Jason Tate like this.
  6. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

The guy who won a few years ago lives in my town and Matt Pryor had him on his podcast. I was surprised at how interesting the whole thing is and how serious people take it.

7. EarthShifts

Trusted

A couple guys from my hometown were heavily involved in this for a few years and I believe both went to the worlds at some point.

8. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

Wow, I thought everyone knew about this! I might blow your minds here but there is a world championship of Corn Hole that brings out a ton of people. God, ESPN 8 should be a real channel!