Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Words We’re Watching: “Padawan”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Merriam-Webster:

Padawan is a word that is being used more and more in a generic way to refer to learners, followers, or anyone just starting out. It was used in Star Wars: Episode I, the first of the prequels made by George Lucas and released in 1999, and refers to aspiring Jedi knights whose education is overseen by a Jedi master. […]

At any rate, what’s notable is that they are creating a new category of skilled pre-professional positions, and have found a word that corresponds to it. Whether or not the name sticks is a good question: it will take several years of gathering evidence to see whether or not this is the word we’re looking for.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  2. tomtom94

Trusted

Huh. I didn't realise it was coined in Phantom Menace. I assumed it was always a part of lore.

But then that makes sense if the people who saw Phantom Menace in cinemas are adults now.

3. SPine

Trusted

I have used the word Padawan the most in December now that I think about it