Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Wonderstruck (Todd Haynes; October 20, 2017) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joe, May 12, 2017.

1. Directed by Todd Haynes and written by Brian Selznick, whose book the film is based on. Starring Oakes Fegley, Julianne Moore, Michelle Williams, and introducing Millicent Simmonds.

No trailer yet, but here's a clip.

Poster

[​IMG]

2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

So, so here for it.

3. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

always todd haynes

forever todd haynes

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  4. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Most anticipated of the year. Holy shit. Todd Haynes top 10 living filmmakers.

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen May 12, 2017
    (Last edited: May 12, 2017)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I've somehow only seen Velvet Goldmine and Carol, I know seeing more of his work is on my list

6. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Holy fucking shit I'm Not There and Far from Heaven are both masterpieces.

coleslawed and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  7. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I rewatched Safe recently and I think it might be even better than Carol, which I think is one of the very best films ever made. Everything from Velvet Goldmine to now is varying degrees of incredible though.

8. Dog with a Blog

This looks cool

9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Joe likes this.
  10. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

This is incredible. So deeply felt and impeccably crafted. He plays with many different forms here which is super exciting. It’s not as immediate as Carol or Safe, but few films are. This totally solidifies Todd Haynes as my favorite working American director. I absolutely loved this film.

11. Morrissey

Trusted

I always get Alexander Payne and Todd Haynes mixed up. I would have been looking forward to this sooner if not for that. It feels like it has been a barren year so far, but I am sure I have missed a lot.

12. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

What have you liked this year? I’ll admit, the year felt very dry until the fall festivals came through here. I’ve since seen at least 20 good to great films in the past month.

13. Morrissey

Trusted

I have only seen 14 films this year. Either Personal Shopper or Song to Song is my favorite so far.

14. Anthony_

This has been near the top of my most anticipated films of the year list ever since I first heard about it. Can't wait until it opens near me.

15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

OMG he calls Julianne Moore Julie

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

God this was gorgeous
    Obviously a movie where Julianne Moore plays an old Hollywood starlet is very much my jam
    seeing Michelle Williams with long hair felt so weird

Anthony_ and Bloodsucker II like this.
  17. Dog with a Blog

Totally forgot about this! I need to see it

18. Anthony_

Goddamn it's actually playing near me and I can't go tomorrow because I'm moving into my new house.

Ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  19. Dog with a Blog

Somehow, this is playing nowhere near me

20. Dog with a Blog

Thought this was really good, not great. The lack of a conventional story seems to be the general complaint amongst average viewers, but that didn’t really bother me as everything surrounding it was absolutely gorgeous. With that said, I couldn’t help but roll my eyes at the end of the second act when Ben and Jamie had their falling out. It was just so predicable and really silly, I thought. Plus you know for a fact that Jamie was going to come back and everything would be okay. It just felt like a garbage move you’d see in a rom-com.

I’m bummed because on the whole the score was really good and there was one track that was absolutely amazing, it had hints of jazz fusion and it’s not on the score. as soon as the movie was over I scoured the score on Apple Music and they reduced this piece to like a 50 second track that barely touches what it was in the movie.

21. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Kinda let down by this but has its moments. The score is so good, though.

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  22. This was beautiful. I was taken with the score. Hell of a debut performance from Millicent Simmonds. Only thing I didn't really get was why Ben was never told about his dad in the first place. Did I miss something?

23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

free streaming on Prime now

24. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

oh fuck boutta watch this ASAP

brandon_260 likes this.
  25. This was even better for me on second viewing. Everything hit as hard or harder and the last act didn't feel as clumsy this go around. Todd freakin Haynes man