Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Wonder Woman (Patty Jenkins, June 2, 2017) Movie • Page 33

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Eric Wilson, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Also after Wonder Woman 2 how about Disney gives Patty Jenkins a goddman Star War already

2. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

I was just surprised by it. I really hope she nails this.

3. Is our future only super hero and Star Wars movies?

4. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

The concept of fans being angry because they want a super serious version of an archeologist turned human-Cheetah hybrid is classic.

Jason Tate and Anthony_ like this.
  5. Anthony_

I, for one, welcome our new mouse-eared overlords.

Greg likes this.
  6. Jenkins and Wiig deserve more credit for knowing what they're doing. This casting backlash is stupid.

Jason Tate likes this.
  7. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Do you watch the Red Letter Media guys? They are always talking about how everything that isn't Disney/Warner goes right to Netflix. Theaters will just be run by Disney. lol

8. 2015 me: This is awesome, Netflix is just letting creators be creators and do what they do, this is the future of cinema! Bring on the awesome films!

2018 me: *Bright, Mute, Cloverfield Paradox have been released.*

Shit.

9. Never underestimate male internet anger.

scottlechowicz and Joe like this.
  10. Davjs

Trusted

Their latest review of Annihilation had some good conversation of how no one went to see this original, female lead movie that got really good reviews because the majority of people only care about going and re-seeing the Disney movies again.

Anthony_ and Makoto like this.
  11. A Wrinkle in Time is tracking at a $35 million opening. That's not exactly lighting the room on fire.

I think the R rating made Annihilation a tough sell in theaters for families and such. I've read the book and love Alex Garland and I'm waiting to rent it, so I'm not exactly helping.

12. Anthony_

Just like in the theaters, you gotta take the bad with the good, sadly.

Mudbound, Icarus, The Meyerowitz Stories, I Don't Feel At Home in This World Anymore, Mascots, etc. are all great

coleslawed likes this.
  13. Makoto

Monafide bonafide

The R rating really killed Deadpool amirite

14. I turned a some of those off too.

15. Anthony_

upload_2018-3-9_14-54-13.jpeg

ugh I hate that I remember this reference

16. Yes, because Deadpool, widely known as the outlier that made people re-think what an R rated movie could do if it's funny and appeals to the "take your teenage kid to a movie night" and yet still R, was successful that means that all R rated movies will also be successful.

If you don't think the R rating at this point in time hurt Annihilation's chances of finding legs ... fine, make that argument, but "well Deadpool made money" is not convincing.

farva2 likes this.
  17. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Annihilation is definitely a theater movie

18. I'm kinda surprised you liked The Meyerowitz Stories to be honest. That was a pretty insufferable watch. I liked Mascots, but it was definitely one of the weaker Christopher Guest movies.

19. And yet basically no one's going to see it.

20. Anthony_

I have no taste, Jason, have you never seen my convos with the true film fans on this site I'm like a philistine I just made a Goldmember reference ffs

21. Anthony_

In all seriousness, actually, I really should strike Meyerowitz Stories from that list considering Dustin Hoffman was revealed to be a massive pos.

22. Haha. I think the filmerati liked that movie. Got pretty good reviews.

I'm still angry Duncan Jones and David Ayers can't make good movies anymore, they started so strong.

23. Anthony_

You and me both. I had such high hopes for Mute, especially, just because I felt like it would be more in Jones' wheelhouse than Warcraft.

24. Makoto

Monafide bonafide

The R hurt some sure. But its not the whole story. Original films struggle to get attention. Deadpool's R was irrelevant because of a multitude of factors but most notably being a superhero movie and part of an existing media franchise. The R only hurts Annihilation as much BECAUSE it is original and not part of the blockbuster trend.

25. Anthony_

It's based on a (very, very good) novel