Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Women's Soccer (Football) Thread Soccer • Page 50

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Meerkat, Mar 7, 2016.

1. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I’m looking forward to the inevitable USA v Canada/Mexico in the knockout bracket

morgantayler likes this.
  2. orangehorizon

Trusted

I don't even know if it is actually a goal because the ball might just go out as well. Either way, there is absolutely nothing nasty about it.

3. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

CHRISTEN PRESS

4. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

This whole equal pay is getting really gross.

But isn't the Women's World Cup the prime tournament/event in women's soccer whereas the mens would probably be UEFA CL?

5. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

That's a really good question. It would be really interesting to see what the advertisement and sponsorship revenue is between those two competitions.

6. DerekIsAGooner

I just did a quick Google search. I don't have hard evidence or sources to back this up, but the 2018 World Cup generated around $6.11 billion (5.42 billion Euros) in revenue. The 2017/18 UEFA Champions League generated $2.28 billion (2.11 billion Euros) in revenue. If you multiply that by 4 years to account for 1 world cup cycle (and round the numbers a bit), that's...

$6.11B World Cup revenue v $10B UEFA Champions League revenue every 4 years.

Your argument is spot on, @bobby_runs

7. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

World Cup + Qualifying + Regional (euros/gold cup/etc) is probably higher.

orangehorizon and DerekIsAGooner like this.
  8. DerekIsAGooner

That's true. You can't compare the two without counting in the qualifiers and respective tournaments. I guess for me I never realized just how financially lucrative the Champions League is. I know how important it's been for the club I support, but over $2B annually in revenue is astounding.

9. morgantayler likes this.
  10. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

After a terrible few days for the federation, Carlos Cordeiro has stepped down as president of US Soccer.

11. wleslein Apr 2, 2020
    (Last edited: Apr 3, 2020)
    wleslein

Pretty cool.

12. Henry

Moderator Moderator

13. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I’ve been rewatching highlights of the USWNT from last year’s World Cup. Still bummed they won’t have any matches until the fall at the earliest.

14. morgantayler May 27, 2020
    (Last edited: May 27, 2020)
    morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

This will be a lot of fun.

Also the NWSLPA was involved in this and worked to guaranteed contracts and health insurance so it sounds like they will all be on board. Not sure about the USWNT players though. There was a report the other day that said they may not participate but then the USWNTPA Twitter account said the report was not true. So we’ll see.

oakhurst likes this.
  15. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

I’ve not been able to read this yet but I’m looking forward to it

16. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

NWSL season starts tomorrow, right?

17. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

The tournament starts on Saturday. I would post the schedule but the Orlando Pride just dropped out because 10 players/staff tested positive for coronavirus so they’re going to have to alter the schedule. They’ve not yet decided if they will play games after the tournament is over.

oakhurst likes this.
  18. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Here’s the updated schedule as well as full rosters for all participating teams

19. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Australia and New Zealand won the bid to host the 2023 World Cup. Time to start saving up now lol

Garrett and oakhurst like this.
  20. DerekIsAGooner

Australia/New Zealand will be the official 2023 WWC hosts.

As cool as it would have been to see the first WWC given to a South American nation (Colombia, the other host in the running) everything I've seen has made it clear that Australia/NZ was by far the best choice to host the tournament.

21. DerekIsAGooner

22. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

If travel is cool by then I'd be interested in attending.

orangehorizon likes this.
  23. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Yeah for some reason the UEFA voting block decided to vote for Columbia even though the Aus/NZ was the better one by far.

24. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Those time zones will be wack to watch the games in America but I’m ready to watch USA get their 5th star

25. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

i was reading about this yesterday. Historically UeFA and CONMEBOL apparently like to form an alliance because they’re the two powerhouses (of the men’s game).