Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Women's Soccer (Football) Thread Soccer • Page 5

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Meerkat, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

@Garrett L. That feature actually really soured me on her. The comments she and Hope made about Alex Morgan were completely unnecessary. Especially since Morgan filed the action for equal pay side by side with them.

morgantayler likes this.
  2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

@Meerkat I took it more of a critique on the fact the only reason Alex really got known at one point was her looks and that shouldn't be the case. I don't think her and Alex have any issues. And she didn't actually name her. She just said something she wouldn't do for recognition.

Anyone watching the game tonight?

3. Garrett

That Japan goal just now was gorgeous. Wow.

4. Garrett

Japan's second goal was just as pretty.

5. Garrett

Baby Horse! :heart:

6. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

ALEX. That was a great cross by Pugh.

7. Garrett

BABY HORSE FOR TWO! :heart: :heart:

8. Garrett

Horan!

Japan keeper had a nightmare of a game.

9. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Fuck yes, Horan! That was a nice ball by O'Hara.

10. Garrett

Hope could've done better, but Japan just did a straight Barcelona goal.

11. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

ughhhh

12. Meerkat

I would be inclined to agree and give them the benefit of the doubt if it were worded differently. To me, they made it sound like they didn't think Alex's game speaks for itself. If they were really trying to make it more of a commentary on how women athletes get noticed, I think it should've been brought up way differently. Something to the effect of "We rely heavily on sponsors to not only make money but get our name out there and even take advantage of photoshoot opportunities" it would've been one thing. But to me, this was clearly aimed at Alex.

morgantayler likes this.
  13. Garrett

I definitely get that. And I don't think Carli would ever say Alex's game doesn't stand on it's own merits. But there's also a bit of writing clickbait generating craft and authorial insertion at play.

14. StevenW92

Regular

Comfortable 7-0 win for England over Serbia tonight. We play them again midweek in Serbia so they might at least make effort to attack us.

A win would virtually seal qualification to the European Championships, which I think we've got a real chance of winning.

15. Garrett

Julie Johnston! Love her.

16. Garrett

Beautiful goal by Alex! Great work by Crystal there.

17. How did I only just find out that his game was in Cleveland?

I'm gonna divvy up the blame as 50% my fault, 40% on @Garrett L. and 10% to a certain @Meerkat

I guess I feel a little better with how the weather turned out but damn, still annoyed/disappointed with myself.

Garrett L. likes this.
  18. Garrett

It's not my fault you aren't up to snuff on your USWNT Twitter game, @gonz (Alex). But also surprised you weren't there.

19. I definitely feel like I've failed myself, and this thread, a bit. I am a little surprised you didn't ask me if I was going at some point this past week/weekend, though.

How was the crowd? Looked/sounded not too bad based on the highlights of the goals I just watched.

20. Garrett

I honestly didn't know it was in Cleveland until today. I just knew the one in Denver a few days ago.

23k and change I saw on Twitter, which is their largest showing in Ohio thus far so that's good!

gonz (Alex) likes this.
  21. Yay! I hope with the decent showing for the men's Belgium game before the last World Cup and now today's game means Cleveland's proven itself as a viable and regular host for both US teams, at least for friendlies.

22. Meerkat

23. Ugh, fine! What should I do with the adoption papers I had drawn up?

24. Meerkat

Send them to one of the lesbians on the USWNT

gonz (Alex) likes this.
  25. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Does anyone else watch the NWSL games or is just me and @Meerkat?

Meerkat likes this.