Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Women's Soccer (Football) Thread Soccer • Page 48

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Meerkat, Mar 7, 2016.

1. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

To add to this the Utah Royals are connected to Real Salt Lake and North Carolina Courage are connected to the USL team North Carolina FC.

Nick and Garrett L. like this.
  2. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

LFG

I’m so fucking happy for Rose Lavelle, her goal was so good.

3. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

morgantayler and Garrett L. like this.
  4. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Lots of feels.

6. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

If anyone wants to buy cheap jerseys from China let me know. I’ve got a great site hook up. Very close to the $90 jerseys they are selling. I’ve got a #13 white and a blank red.

Will likely be buying a #16 with the fourth star.

I love midfielders who can create in little space. AND score goals. (My favorite men’s player is KDB)

7. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

Appreciation post for Crystal Dunn. No one on the team improved from match to match quite like she did.

8. Garrett

why aren’t you out partying

9. Garrett

(Wrong thread, valid statement)

cryates likes this.
  10. DerekIsAGooner

I partied. I promise. I’ve done enough partying this trip to take a little break from partying when we fly home tomorrow.

Garrett L. likes this.
  11. Garrett

13. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

The entire team has been drunk since Sunday, it’s been amazing to witness lol.

bobby_runs likes this.
  14. orangehorizon

Trusted

I don't even know where to start with this one. And you Americans still wonder why you are viewed as absolutely arrogant by other nations...

Btw, standing up for other people includes granting them healthcare if they themselves can't afford it...

15. (I don’t think she’d disagree with that.)

Mrplum5089, Garrett L. and Zoshchenko like this.
  16. Garrett

i see Orange is back on his bullshit again

Zoshchenko and morgantayler like this.
  17. DerekIsAGooner

Portland v Orlando on ESPNEWS right now... so many goals.

18. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

It hurts my soul that is Orlando is so bad defensively. I can't even say I'll feel better when Harris, Krieger, and Zadorsky come back because they were still giving up the most goals in the league when the whole team was here. I'm just glad they're actually able to score goals now though because it was rough in the first half of the season.

19. orangehorizon

Trusted

So you agree that Americans are the only ones who take care of other people that are not able to take care of themselves? Could you please explain why you think so? I am really curious.

20. Garrett

Every native speaker understood she wasn’t saying we do it exclusively because uniquely doesn’t just have that one meaning that you latched onto. She’s quite eloquent, and to call her arrogant when that statement was not said with an ounce of it.

There’s a whole level of internal discourse in the United States right now on what it “means to be an American” because of the dumbass in the White House and her phrasing is taking place in that larger context. He says we shouldn’t help people. She saying helping people is vital.

I just don’t get why, of all people, of all statements, that bothered you. especially enough to come rant about it to a thread full of Americans.

morgantayler likes this.
  21. orangehorizon Jul 15, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 15, 2019)
    orangehorizon

Trusted

If "uniquely" does not mean what I thought it meant then you might have a point, but for me, in that quote it sounds exactly like that. Maybe you can help me out and teach me what it means in this case.

Edit: And I know that she is absolutely Anti-Trump. That especially made that quote so weird for me to begin with. But then again, the whole team has acted in a way throughout this whole WC that made them look quite arrogant. I never had bad feelings about the US team until their game against Thailand. And from then on it just went downhill.

22. Garrett

It basically is saying, “The only thing that should define you as an American is your willingness to help others.” It’s a counter-argument to race, birth, citizenship, etc. being the determining factors that make up the cacophony coming from the White House these days.

Do I think America (as a country) takes care of its citizens or the world in the best ways? Absolutely not.

Do I think Americans (as individuals) by and large care for others around them? I’d say a majority do. No other country in the world matches our personal charitable giving—and it’s not even close. I live in the deeply racist Deep South where many people around me are rightfully vilified, and yet every day I see those same people going out of their way constantly to help others (sadly with the clause of “who looks like they do”).

Rapinoe is referring to “American” as an individual identity—not a national one. We have no national identity—we’re far too young and segmented historically for that to exist. I’ve stood in hundreds of buildings throughout Italy older than our country.

But we do have an individual identity that permeates the national landscape. And that identity is wildly under attack by white supremacists right now.

The messaging off the field post-WC has nothing to do with what happened on the field. Don’t conflate the two.

orangehorizon likes this.
  23. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

24. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

It’ll be interesting to see how this works out. Brazil has the talent to be a great team but have never had enough support by the federation. I wonder if this hire means that’s going to be changing.

25. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Well I’m not surprised that this happened but I didn’t think it would happen so soon. I figured she’d stick around for the Olympic next year.