Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Women's Soccer (Football) Thread Soccer • Page 47

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Meerkat, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Only for the national team players. US soccer subsidizes their pay. Otherwise some work two-three other jobs.

But! Budweiser became an official corporate sponsor of the league today and ESPN bought the rights to the second half of the season so this World Cup has brought some great changes and I expect more to follow.

fowruok, Drew Beringer, Nick and 2 others like this.
  2. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

FULL COURT PRESS TIME

3. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Heathhhhh

4. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

Heath must have told her friends to bet their life savings on it being 2-0.

5. Garrett

Carli :hearteyes:

6. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Are the clubs aligned with MLS sides? A cursory wikipedia search makes a couple of the teams look similar to MLS sides in the areas. Houston, Utah and Orlando to be specific.

7. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Can argue England had a better performance against the US than this Dutch side; either that or the US just stepped it up a gear this game

8. Garrett

Portland, Houston, and Orlando are connected, iirc. Not sure all of them are, though. Portland is the most equal of all of them/should hopefully become the basis going forward.

9. clucky

Trusted Supporter

some of them have the same ownership, but not all do. i don't think there is any offical alignment other than owners/locations

10. Garrett

I’d say any of the US last two opponents could’ve won the Cup easily. Brutal stretch of matches.

orangehorizon and Mrplum5089 like this.
  11. Garrett

WORLD CHAMPS BAYBAY

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  12. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

BACK TO BACK WORLD CUP CHAMPS

13. Garrett

I love this

14. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

love my arrogant national team :heart::heart::heart:

15. Garrett

Nike knows how to do a damn commercial. People are crying in this bar :crylaugh:

16. StevenW92

Regular

Good game to watch. US clearly still a class above. Really do have some class players, that’s the standard that teams should be aspiring to. The Dutch were decent in the game but lacked cutting edge and were too reluctant to get shots off.

The standard of football across the whole tournament has massively improved from 4 years back. Most games have been competitive and some thrilling to watch. It’s a shame we’ve left the tournament empty handed. It’ll be interesting to see the impact this has in viewing figures for the WSL next season. England’s next game vs Germany has already sold more than 20000 tickets so the interest is there at the moment and hopefully it can be sustained and the interest in the game will transition in to more top class players coming through the regional training centres.

17. Could do with less Macron on my screen

18. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

Don't like the tie breaker for the golden boot being assists and then who's played less minutes. Should be the number of different games scored in and open play goals count for more than pens. (Basically just give it to Ellen White dammit!)

StevenW92 and Garrett L. like this.
  19. orangehorizon

Trusted

Am I the only one that thinks Lavelle deserved the Golden Ball more than Rapinoe? At least based on the games I have watched.

Preserved Moose likes this.
  20. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

The baby king desperately wants to be cool

21. clucky

Trusted Supporter

yes this is peak #wokebrands but its also a really well done commercial

bobby_runs, Mrplum5089 and Garrett L. like this.
  22. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

Dunn and Ertz probably played better overall too.

orangehorizon likes this.
  23. Garrett

Mewis and Ertz will be the unsung heroes of this World Cup. Essential players. Mewis to the point she kept arguably the best US player on the bench when it mattered.

orangehorizon likes this.
  24. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Sports are fun sometimes

25. Garrett

Hopefully this motivates the men versus Mexico tonight.

bobby_runs, justin. and Mrplum5089 like this.