Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Women's Soccer (Football) Thread Soccer • Page 4

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Meerkat, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Ideally I want both. I'd be willing to just get an Alex Morgan USWNT kit, but it'll probably be more expensive. Also, Orlando Pride is my only shot at a Harris kit. My best friend lives in Orlando right now so I'm going to try and put together a visit to see him because 1. seeing my best friend 2. Free Disney World 3. I can probably convince him to go to a game with me

morgantayler likes this.
  2. Meerkat

"I hope winter's not coming that quickly, I'm gonna need to get a bigger jacket"

Cola. likes this.
  3. Meerkat

Sorry not sorry for the triple post, but apparently a USWNT fan had had some injuries and was trying to get back into soccer and needed $120 to go to rehab and Stephanie McCaffery donated the $120
    [​IMG]

gonz (Alex), Nick and Garrett L. like this.
  4. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Women's national team files wage-discrimination action vs. US Soccer Federation

I'm sure there's a ton of economic principals at play (especially in FIFA's trickle down money spreading and focusing more on the men's side of the game economy), but the difference in these numbers is STARK, and quite frankly, wildly unacceptable.

5. falafelmywaffle

Without music, life would be a mistake. Supporter

Those were my favorite! Wish I could find one somewhere out there without paying too much

6. Meerkat

It also doesn't help when players have been injured playing on unfit fields. Rapinoe would probably be on the Olympic roster of it wasn't for playing on a dangerous ground.

7. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

8. Cola.

I was such a looker in the old days Prestigious

Word. A team that has won 3 world cups for this country should be paid the same.

9. Garrett

10. Garrett

Abby :(

11. so stupid

12. Garrett

As Ed said in the other thread: "how hard is it to call a taxi/Uber?"

13. Meerkat

Glad no one got hurt

14. Meerkat

Would love one of these jackets

15. TotesAndGoats

Bear

16. Meerkat

I'm pretty sure a few of the players (90% sure Hope Solo) has said they would seriously consider not going if they can't come up with a solid plan surrounding Zika virus

17. Not sure how boycotting for wage equality would be a bad look for America.

Obviously the men's failures when it comes to the Olympics are embarrassing but its own separate issue.

18. TotesAndGoats

Bear

One of the wealthiest nations in the world with an absolutely dominant women's team misses out on the world stage because no one thinks it a good idea to pay the women's team a fair salary.

The men's team not making it looks worse since they are (for the most part) paid a substantial amount more and aren't even among the top 16 teams in the world.

I guess it really all comes down to how it's spun, but I could see it easily being spun as a mark against the whole country in the global scope.

19. Rereading my post I think I should clarify that obviously it's a bad look for America that there is a wage gap, guess I meant rather it wouldn't/shouldn't reflect negatively on the team if they do boycott (not that anyone was necessarily saying otherwise).

20. Mr. Dennis

On the Free from PSG

For the men, does the U-23 team get paid?

21. TotesAndGoats

Bear

I've spent the last little while trying to find sources, but there's not a lot of info about the USMNT salaries.

What I can guess is that at least most of the U-23 squad is getting paid for their time. If for no other reason than the fact that a bulk of that club is on USMNT duty when there isn't a schedule conflict. Deandre Yedlin and Jordan Morris are the first two that come to mind. I'll keep poking around for sources to substantiate that.

I'm also now curious as to how this pay structure is setup. Comparing the salaries of male players to female players on a club level is one thing, comparing the national teams is another. Some of the numbers I've seen make me wonder if they're basing this off the club level and not the national team level, which I don't think is the correct way to do it.

22. Garrett

Mallory Pugh turns 18 today. Christian Pulisic just tweeted her happy birthday. I've never been a "shipper"... but I ship this so hard.

23. Meerkat

Meghan Klingenberg started a YouTube channel and so far it has been A+ for completely bizarre and amazing content

morgantayler likes this.
  24. Meerkat

Caroline Stanley has had some great saves for Sky Blue FC tonight

25. Garrett