Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Women's Soccer (Football) Thread Soccer • Page 28

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Meerkat, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

It's not the scoring that's disrespectful. It's the over celebrating.

3. preppyak

Elite Supporter

Drew Beringer likes this.
  4. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Reigning world champs, #1 in the rankings... not exactly a disservice to any of the other top 8 to say they’re the best.

5. clucky

Trusted Supporter

imagine getting upset at someone because they scored a goal on a big international stage and that made them happy so they wanted to celebrate.

6. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

Come on. You can't seriously see why it's disrespectful? The USA are elite level players ranked number one in the world and are rubbing double figure goals in the face of women from the lower divisions of Thailand. Absolutely score as many as you can but there's no need to humiliate them afterwards too once the win is obviously in the bag.

orangehorizon likes this.
  7. clucky

Trusted Supporter

they weren't taunting the players. they were just celebrating their performance. Would be far ruder and more condescending to not celebrate.

9. orangehorizon

Trusted

Maybe I am misunderstanding something here but comparing a 13-0 win of the US against Thailand with a 7-1 humiliation from Germany against Brazil is absolutely laughable.

10. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

I've seen USA smash plenty of teams by ridiculous margins and there comes a point where they just calmly hug and high five etc and jog back to their half without going overboard. When Germany set the old record of 11-0 they didn't go nuts after a point.

All of this is from the USA perspective. How about some respect for the Thai women "doing their best" and who also worked their asses off to qualify too despite having this huge disparity in resources etc and end up getting annihilated in front of the world and standing there waiting for their opponents to stop dancing so they can restart the game at 13 nil.

11. orangehorizon

Trusted

The last WC was 4 years ago, the last Olympics were 3 years ago.
    But my actual point was that once the World Cup starts you should never make such a statement. The World Cup was exactly invented to decide who is the number 1 in the world.

12. clucky

Trusted Supporter

its a game. they are having fun. really don't get the problem

13. Garrett

(If This were the men’s tournament no one would be saying shit)

14. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

That's fine but it's just an unwritten rule about this kind of thing in sport when there's such a huge disparity in quality between teams/players. If they beat Germany 10-0 in the final then dance away but it just seemed harsh here..

15. Garrett

Regularly scheduled post

16. Garrett

Spain put 11 past Tahiti in an official tournament at the peak of their golden generation and none of these arguments were had.

It’s the World Cup. Fuckin celebrate.

clucky likes this.
  17. clucky

Trusted Supporter

so they should go "haha you suck so bad we're not even gonna celebrate"?

yeah that is gonna be a no from me

18. orangehorizon Jun 11, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 11, 2019)
    orangehorizon

Trusted

Germany actually were instructed to go easy on Brazil after the half time, because Löw didn't want to humiliate the home team. If you have seen the game, and I think you did, then you probably realized it.

Edit:And it is really disappointing that you pull the gender card here. There are so many issue that could be discussed about the differences between the mens and womens game. But this is certainly not one.

19. Going easy on a team is even more humiliating

20. orangehorizon

Trusted

In the moment it might seem humiliating but when looking back (and people mostly remember scorelines) then it is way less humiliating.

21. Preserved Moose Jun 11, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 11, 2019)
    Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

Nobody would say shit because it wouldn't happen. When Germany beat Saudi Arabia 8-0 in 2002 they didn't go over the top. When Spain beat Tahiti 10-0 did they go ballistic running around or did they calmly slap hands and smile and walk back? When USA women beat Dominican Republic 14-0 they didn't go crazy. Even if you don't mean it you at least PRETEND you're being respectful and keep it low key haha.

Pretty much yeah. I'm not trying to be a dick (so sorry in advance!) but do you watch football regularly? It's just not done. I don't wanna be the "fun police" but here's the old record of Germany destroying Argentina 11-0. Like I say it's just smilez n hugz. Again I'm not saying USA should have started apologising and scored a few own goals to even it out but you can be happy and celebrate without rubbing it in.

22. Garrett

Four of the seven goal scorers were playing their first ever World Cup game yeah tell me you wouldn’t celebrate your first World Cup goal gtfo

bobby_runs and morgantayler like this.
  23. Garrett

Tbh I would’ve rather seems germany score more

The gender card is 100% an issue in women’s soccer. It’s not an excuse. It dominates every discussion of the sport in the US top to bottom. Hope Solo isn’t on this team/playing the sport because she was treated far more harshly than any men’s player was ever treated for similar/worse things by the US media.

There are a myriad discussions to have about the differences between the men’s and women’s game. But to remove gender from it, uh...nah. It’s central to it.

24. doesn't matter what the public thinks - taking it easy on a team is incredibly humiliating to the team you're taking it easy on - it means you view them as less than and you don't even need to try hard anymore. That sucks - I'd rather a team keep playing hard even if they're kicking my ass.