Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Women's Soccer (Football) Thread Soccer • Page 21

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Meerkat, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Brazil's #16 should be off the pitch by now. Absurd what she's getting away with.

2. Press killing it :hearteyes:

3. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

These last 10 minutes

4. Holy shit. Haha.

5. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

That miracle 3 point comeback in the last 10 minutes. Phew.

6. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I would be upset I didn't watch that second half if GoT hadn't been downright incredible tonight.

But damn, great to see some bite.

7. morgantayler Jul 30, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 30, 2017)
    morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

I still hate Jill but what a comeback.

JJ's goal legit put tears in my eyes. Also Christen Press is an angel and deserves the world.

8. morgantayler Jul 30, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 30, 2017)
    morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

A couple takeaways for me:

- Midfield was instantly better with JJ as the 6 and Jill should continue playing her there.
    - For me, Press should be the starter heading into the World Cup because she can consistently create chances whether she is sending balls in or facing up on goal. This assist was wild and her turn, cut, and shoot on her goal is just nasty.

- Our MVP is Dawn Scott because literally no other team in the world can match us when it comes to player fitness. That's 100% what kept us in this game.
    - Jill has a ton of things to fix because we were messy as hell through out most of this game.

9. StevenW92

Regular

Guttered doesn't even begin to describe it.

10. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Good win by the Nats against Japan. That Pinoe goal with hesitation was nasty.

But congrats to Australia on winning the tournament, they absolutely dismantled Brazil. They're definitely going to be a favorite of mine to contend for the 2019 World Cup.

11. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Lieke Martens is incredible. That stadium is going to erupt if the Netherlands can hold on to their lead.

12. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

....and then Pernille Harder levels for Denmark. This game is so good.

13. StevenW92

Regular

Holland got better as the tournament went on. Deserved winners. Their front 3 is unreal.

14. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

This pass from Steph Catley to Alex is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. Alex's finish was class as well.

gonz (Alex) likes this.
  15. wow. just brilliant skill all around there

16. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Steph is easily one of the best, if not these best, LB's in the world right now and she's only 23. I think she might be considering leaving Orlando next season but I really hope she sticks it out one more year because they really have the capability of winning the league.

And Alex Morgan is Alex Morgan lol. She's been in a bit of a lull recently but she's had goals in 3 straight games so hopefully things are turning around for her.

gonz (Alex) likes this.
  17. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Y I K E S at the FA for this one. They knew about the allegations before hiring Sampson and didn’t think it would be a problem? Good lord.

After this and the racism and bullying allegations against Sampson from last month, things aren’t looking too good for them.

Nick likes this.
  18. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

The FA have a horrendous track record when it come to dealing with mishandling issues. So the fact this is all coming to light doesn’t surprise me per say but it’s still horrible and I’m glad they’re finally doing something. Hopefully they’ll get a female coach in this time.

19. StevenW92

Regular

Sampson should have been sacked last year when the allegations were first made. Last nights attempt to sweep things under the carpet were pretty pathetic.

The women's game in this country has come on a lot under Sampson, but I see no reason why it can't continue to improve under new management.

Aluko is taking a lot of stick from fans online, but her lack of inclusion at the Euros was shocking considering she was the super leagues top scorer.

Disappointed by how the FA have handled this whole situation but it's hardly unexpected.

morgantayler, ugman_2000 and Nick like this.
  20. MrCon Sep 21, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 21, 2017)
    MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

Typical FA behaviour really. They do an investigation into misconduct shortly after hiring him and decide it's not an issue. 2-3 years later, they use that exact same investigation to sack him and (I believe) pay out his entire contract. Edit: Looks like it's a few months, not the whole thing.

I wonder if they'll use this to just sweep the bullying and racism allegations under the rug or whether they'll keep going with that.

21. StevenW92

Regular

I believe the bullying and racism claims are going above the FA's head and the governments sport and culture department will investigate to decide if the FA are fit to hold these types of investigations or not.

22. morgantayler Sep 24, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 24, 2017)
    morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

This probably won't get picked up anywhere but tonight several starters in the Seattle-Kansas City NWSL game stayed in the locker room during the anthem in solidarity with the protests by NFL players. They were Megan Rapinoe, Becky Sauerbrunn, Sydney Leroux, Yael Averbuch, and Desiree Scott, who is a Canadian national team member but she was also the only other black player on either team's roster besides Leroux. There were also a few other Seattle players that stayed in the locker room as well. I guess Scott may be one of the first non-American athletes to take part in the protests. Although, the WNBA had a lot players participate this and last season so there may be some from there that I'm not aware of.

This should get interesting considering next week Seattle is playing the Washington Spirit in DC, and last year the Spirit owner had the anthem played while the teams were in the locker rooms specifically so Rapinoe couldn't take a knee during it.

gonz (Alex) likes this.
  23. morgantayler Sep 24, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 25, 2017)
    morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

24. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Follow up on the Reign protest from last week. They participated in the on field anthem in DC tonight but some players linked arms and three of them did not face the flag. Rapinoe was suspended for yellow card accumulation so that’s why she’s not out there.

25. clucky

Trusted Supporter

What are people's thoughts on Gulati in regards to the USWNT?

Fans of the USMNT mostly universally want his head. But the thought occurs to me that he is in charge of more than just the men's team. Would his resigning have a negative impact on the women's team?