Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Women's Soccer (Football) Thread Soccer • Page 20

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Meerkat, Mar 7, 2016.

1. StevenW92

Regular

Wow. Was expecting a comfortable win but that was something else. Ruthless from the start right up until the last touch of the game. Always special to see England beat Scotland.

Because of the rivalry between the two nations it would be foolish to get carried away by the result. We were always going to try and do some damage. We still have much better teams to face if we're going to win the whole thing.

2. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Finally the roster is released. Tobin, Ashlyn Harris, and Rose Lavelle are still out with injuries (RIP Tobin's back) and honestly Morgan Brian shouldn't be on this roster either imo. She's had lingering hamstring issues and they just need to let her get healthy. I hope Campbell and Smith get actual opportunities in goal, they've both done well this season. Also, I'm very surprised Margaret Purce made this roster but I'll be interested to see how she does if she's given the chance.

The biggest news for me (which is not included in the screenshot) is that Sofia Huerta is going to be training with the team and USSF is going to be working to switch her association as she previously played with Mexico. She has the potential to be very good and I think definitely deserves a shot.

allibecc_2017-Jul-20.jpg

3. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Yikes Norway....Belgium's first goal was definitely offside but the second was just absolutely terrible defending.

4. StevenW92

Regular

Great result for Austria drawing 1-1 with France. Leaves France needing to get a result in their final game vs Switzerland. Would be quite a boost for one of the tournament favourites to crash out so early.

England in action vs Spain tomorrow. Will be our toughest group game but I'm very confident we can win this one. Scotland need a result vs Portugal or they're as good as out.

5. StevenW92

Regular

Very difficult night for England vs Spain. Dream start with the early goal from Kirby. Then minutes later Bright goal was wrongly ruled out for offside which killed the momentum for us. Spain controlled the game pretty much for the next 70 minutes after that. We were very lucky with Spain being awarded a penalty for a blatant handball, then the decision being bizarrely reversed. But that just evened the bad luck we had with Bright goal being ruled out. Really cool finish from Taylor to seal it. Our superior fitness helped us regain control in the closing stages to secure a very impressive win.

Think Spain will be far to strong for Scotland in the final game. Thought Scotland were very unlucky in the earlier game vs Portugal. Had most chances but a poor mistake and throwing to many players forward cost them.

6. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

The sideline ref apparently was saying no PK from the beginning but also I don't know if you saw but there was a tweet that the ref reversed the PK call after Lucy Bronze started reciting the rule book to them, which is amazing lol.

I didn't get to watch the game unfortunately though and just kept up with it on twitter.

7. StevenW92

Regular

England vs France On Sunday. I'm confident but still nervous as our record vs France is appalling.

We looked very disjointed tonight at times. The 10 changes were a bit of a risk which almost backfired on Sampson. Great finish from Duggan and great persistence from Paris to create her goal. Surprised by how of the lace the likes of Williams and Greenwood looked.

8. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

USA-Australia is my most anticipated Tournament of Nations matchup and I'm not sure if I'll get to watch it tonight :upside:

9. morgantayler Jul 27, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 27, 2017)
    morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Starting lineup is interesting but I don't hate it. I hope both Press and Pinoe can see the back of the net tonight, they've been on fire this NWSL season. Also I hope Sam Kerr puts on a show tonight for Australia, she's been lights out for Sky Blue.

10. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I really hope Jill makes some line up changes at the start of the second half *cough*put in Morgan and Lloyd*cough*

Edit: nope, she didn't. Jill pls

11. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Mewis-Long is a horrible center mid pairing.

12. Garrett

If we keep playing like this, we won't be in the top five in the world here soon. This is abysmal, even if it's experimenting at times.

13. morgantayler Jul 27, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 27, 2017)
    morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

There was just too long of a stretch where they weren't making anything happen offensively. Alex and Crystal should have absolutely finished their chances leading up to the end, Pinoe and Kelley gifted them balls on a platter. I thought the defense Was decent other than that horrendous attempt at a clearance on the set piece that lead to the goal.

@Garrett L. Jill has a bevy of CM choices in the NWSL that could be promising but continues to call up the same 3-4 every time. It's so dumb. Also JJ has been killing it as a 6 for the Chicago Red Stars this season and I don't know why Jill isn't giving it chance. I get that Rose Lavelle and Andi Sullivan are great upcoming players at CM but they are both injured so she needs to fucking bring some other people in. It's so frustrating.

14. morgantayler Jul 27, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 28, 2017)
    morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

You should still be able to win with two players out, especially with one having less than 10 caps. God, she's awful. Part of me wants them to lose the tournament if that means she gets fired.

That second quote is ridiculous, that is what she has supposed to have been doing since the Olympics.

15. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Freaking embarrassing. Get rid of Jill.

16. Garrett

17. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Wow what a game by the Netherlands. Martens, Miedema, and van de Sanden have all had a hell of a tournament.

18. StevenW92

Regular

If England beat France we play the Netherlands. That'll be a hell of a game. That from three are devastating when on form.

19. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

WOW, Denmark ousted Germany in the Euro quarterfinals today 2-1.

20. StevenW92

Regular

England in to the semi finals. Have to say we look to be favourites now. Hope we can manage the expectations and bring home the trophy.

21. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Sam Kerr is going to be the best player in the world one day, she's insanely good. Two goals against Japan in 16 minutes.

22. morgantayler Jul 30, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 30, 2017)
    morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Andddddd now she has a hat trick lol

23. Garrett

I turn the game on two minutes later and we're already down, cool.

And that high boot should be a red and a penalty if she blew the play dead...

24. Garrett

And per fifa rules, that wall was too close. wtf

25. Garrett

Thanks for the gift goal back, Brazil. Good power on that shot to make something happen.