Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Women's Soccer (Football) Thread Soccer • Page 18

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Meerkat, Mar 7, 2016.

1. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

You seem to be really up to date in women's fifa. Is there going to be a summer tournament this year featuring the uswnt? I've tried to search to see if there is one but I can't find anything.

2. morgantayler Apr 7, 2017
    (Last edited: Apr 7, 2017)
    morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

There was a report that came out of Brazil that the US, Brazil, Australia, and Japan are going to do a friendly tournament that will be held in the US, similar to She Believes Cup, during the FIFA window for the women's Euros. It hasn't been confirmed but it seems it is happening. I've seen something about it on more than one occasion.

I'm headed to work but I'll try to find the article later.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that multiple media people confirmed that they heard something like it was in the works (but hadn't known any details at the time) and that it's likely this won't be a one-off thing and they'll probably do it again next summer.

oakhurst likes this.
  3. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

4. morgantayler Apr 9, 2017
    (Last edited: Apr 9, 2017)
    morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Rose Lavelle (aka Sweet Baby Rose, aka SBR)'s first goal for the national team was a beaut.

oakhurst likes this.
  5. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

It really makes no sense for Ellis to sub in Jane Campbell with 17 minutes left but then again nothing she does makes sense. But congrats to Jane on getting her first cap!

6. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I'm thinking that maybe it's time to switch Ellis out for another coach.

7. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

As much as I'd like to see them do well in the tournament in the summer, maybe another embarrassing loss like the France game will be enough to give her the boot.

8. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

the Irish women's team were threatening to go on strike last week about pay and professional conditions. they had 9 hours of talks and struck a deal for most if not all of their demands on Friday at 4am.

we played Slovakia today. this was in the crowd

orangehorizon and morgantayler like this.
  9. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Yeah, I saw that going down. The USWNT ratifying their new CBA kind of buried it but I'm really glad to see that they got it worked out. It was ridiculous that they were even having to ask for some of the stuff that they did. And them having to share kits with the youth teams? Good lord that's embarrassing.

10. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

BY THE WAY, the NWSL season starts Saturday! This year they're going to have one game a week broadcast on Lifetime at 4 pm EST (odd choice, I know but I'm cautiously optimistic about the deal) and then all of the other games will be streamed online (however, they haven't given any details on the how yet - I'll post it here when we know). It's a fun and super competitive league and you guys should check out it. And if any teams are near you, I definitely suggest trying to make it out to one.

Teams (and their respective USWNT players):
    Boston Breakers - Rose Lavelle
    Chicago Red Stars - Christen Press, Alyssa Naeher, Casey Short, and Julie Johnston (she'll now be going as Julie Ertz)
    FC Kansas City - Becky Sauerbrunn, Amy Rodriguez, Sydney Leroux
    Houston Dash - Morgan Brian, Carli Lloyd
    North Carolina Courage (formerly Western NY Flash) - Sam Lewis, Lynn Williams
    Orlando Pride - Alex Morgan, Ali Krieger, Ashlyn Harris
    Portland Thorns - Tobin Heath, Lindsey Horan, Emily Sonnett, Meghan Klingenberg, Allie Long
    Seattle Reign - Megan Rapinoe
    Sky Blue FC (New Jersey) - Kelley O'Hara
    Washington Spirit - N/A (they traded away Krieger for basically nothing so don't feel bad for them)

Plus some there are a lot of Canadian, Australian, and Brazilian internationals (Marta just signed with Orlando), also Amandine Henry from France is with Portland.

TL;DR - NWSL season starts this weekend, with game online and Lifetime. I'll post the website when we know more!

11. StevenW92

Regular

England beat Austria 3-0 last night. Goals from White, Bronze and Christianson. The line was a strange one. We went with 4 centre midfielders rather than playing Scott or Carney out wide. I think we struggled to keep possession as a result. It was ok last night but we lost the ball with full backs high up to make up for the narrow midfield. Teams like France and Germany will punish us in that situation.

12. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

So the Brazilian soccer federation confirmed the summer tournament between the US, Brazil, Australia, and Japan. It'll take place July 27th - Aug 3rd in the US, specific locations TBA.

13. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

So the streaming details came out yesterday, other than the game of the week which is on lifetime, to watch games live you have to use the go90 app, if you're out of the United States you can watch on NWSLsoccer.com. After 48 hours all of the games are archived on the NWSL website and are available for everyone to watch for free.

14. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Psst, watch the NWSL.

15. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Ugh, I'm so sad. FC Kansas City and Boston are playing right now, both Syd and ARod have scored in their first games back. Minutes after ARod's goal, she got injured and it appears she probably tore her left ACL. I'm so heartbroken for her.

16. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

The Leroux finish was fantastic. Glad she's back. Hope ARod is ok.

17. morgantayler Apr 17, 2017
    (Last edited: Apr 17, 2017)
    morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

I figured this was happening eventually but I thought she'd at least spend a year at UCLA. Now the question is if she's going to the NWSL or overseas.

18. Garrett

19. Garrett

20. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Can't say I'm surprised. I think I'd like to see her play somewhere in Europe, opposed to the States.

21. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

They officially announced the summer tournament with the Australia, Brazil, and Japan.

oakhurst likes this.
  22. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Yesssss. Even though it won't be playing anywhere near me

23. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Yeah, I'm excited for it, they should be some good games.

I really hope they schedule a game in Florida in the fall/winter, it's been over a year since they've been here. The last nearby game was Atlanta and I wasn't able to go to that either.

24. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Yeah it seems like they don't playing in the southeast, I blame the humidity. I'm just ready for the USA/Japan game as they are the biggest rivalry art right now.

25. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

If this is true, I guess her desire to want to stay in the US plus possible additional incentives from whatever shoe company she decided to sign with was enough to convince her to compromise.