Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Women on the Warped Tour

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Steve Knopper, writing at The New York Times:

The New York Times spoke to 75 women and nonbinary musicians who have performed on the tour, many of whom echoed NPR Music’s Ann Powers, who recently criticized Warped as a “wild boys’ paradise.” Some divulged #MeToo stories; others ripped bands known for making misogynistic remarks onstage.

2. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

"Most had kind things to say about Mr. Lyman"

Literally the very next sentence. If I didn't read the article and just read the blurb your decided to post id think the article was one giant "warped sucks and is gross and Kevin sucks article" but it's not. Seems like there's a wide range of opinions and feelings

cosmickid likes this.
  3. SkyGrowsBigger Jun 21, 2018
    (Last edited: Jun 21, 2018)
    SkyGrowsBigger

Regular

Really like how this article had very little commentary from the author's perspective and just let the female musicians do the talking.

Great to hear their perspective as a lot of the "discourse" on this website with respect to Warped is often a dude echo chamber. Nothing wrong with cis men being involved in the discussion but a lot of the time these same men are speaking for women rather than letting the women speak for themselves.

tyler2tall and cosmickid like this.
  4. Jason Tate Jun 21, 2018
    (Last edited: Jun 21, 2018)
    That's why you should read the articles I link. It's literally why I post and link them.

(I also don’t think this paints the tour as well as you do.)

5. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Going to the 7/30 date. Hopefully it's a good one since it will be the last

6. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I think his point is valid though. I think the excerpt, taken out of context, makes Warped look worse than the rest of the article does. I do concur that this article is mostly negative about the experience of women on tour, but there's definitely some positive in there as well. One of the more interesting comments was
    which suggests that the issue is systemic with the punk community rather than the tour specifically.

I'm not trying to defend Lyman btw. He still did a shitty job protecting female fans apart from the experience of female band members. It felt like every year there was at least one story about a girl who was harassed or went missing.

7. *sigh*

I link articles so people will read them and give quotes to entice people to do it. This is the author describing what his article is, so, I think it's fitting. I'm glad people are reading the article. I think the quote's context is ... what the article is.

beachdude42 and trevorshmevor like this.
  8. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

y'all really giving Jason grief over the excerpt he chose? Really, that's the hill you're gonna die on? :crylaugh:

coleslawed and Jason Tate like this.
  9. Icynova

I already miss Warped, since it’s not coming to my area this year :/

10. Iamhollywood315

Regular

I really want to go to warped being he last time ever but fuck if I can deal with Texas heat. I could barely get through the Buffalo stop at 90 degrees. 100 degrees and no shade for San Antonio? Ehhh

11. Adam LaRue

I'm old

I would like to add that Kevin Lyman has a lot of women at very high positions inside the Warped staff. The tour manager is woman, head of sponsorships is a woman. I would venture to say that Warped Tour stays on the rails because of the women behind Kevin. Shoutout to Lisa, Kate, Mona, Steph, Julie, Kevin's daughter, et al.

12. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

It’s super cool that women work behind the scenes but it would still be cool to see them on stage where they can inspire young musicians. Women deserve representation in many different areas.

Jason Tate and Penguin like this.
  13. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I'm not blaming you by any means. People should read the article. I learned that lesson when I got skewered in a thread on here after replying to just the comment and not reading the article. You only make that mistake once. Well, you should only make that mistake once at least.
    Come up to the Dallas show. My friend and I have been going to shows since 2003 in Dallas, and a couple years ago we decided to go to the Houston show since he drives up to Dallas every year (where I live).

Never again. It was absolutely miserable. I had to leave early because I had a pregnant wife to get back to and work the next day, and my friend was originally bummed when I revealed that I'd be leaving around 5:00. He ended up leaving at the same time because it was just too miserable even though he wanted to stay to see Sum 41. It was so hot that our plastic sunglasses just fell apart.

The Dallas date has lots of trees, covered eating areas, and a covered amphitheater (which is used by bands—the Ataris played in it last year), etc. After being unable to stay past 5:00 the year prior in Houston, my friend and I stayed all the way through Hawthorne Heights and ended up leaving at 8:30. And we felt great. Such a different experience.