Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Woman Accuses Jesse Lacey of Soliciting Nude Photos From Her at 15 • Page 14

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 10, 2017.

1. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

Mental gymnastics are astounding to see.

fenway89 likes this.
  2. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I don’t even know how to reply to that to this dude who’s already proven to be a sexist tool. It mostly just seems like a brick wall, which is sad and frustrating.

fenway89 likes this.
  3. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

That’s because it is. They will never learn.

fenway89 likes this.
  4. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

fenway89 likes this.
  5. Was traveling and have been out of the loop for the last 24 hours but man this one hurts

fenway89 likes this.
  6. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Band is good fun too. Go check them out.

fenway89, mercury and CarpetElf like this.
  7. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Just saw this trending on Twitter and first reaction was to watch Chorus implode.

hoodrat likes this.
  8. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I’m glad your first reaction was to watch a site “implode” and not “shit, I hope the victim is okay and finds peace”.

9. Dan CiTi

♎️♈️♌️ Prestigious

Somehow not at all surprising. Brand New have always had sinister, creepy songs in their catalog and seeing there's some reality to them feels like a long time coming. I mean, "Me versus Maradona" is a pretty vividly manipulative tale. Glad I saw them in their pomp years ago. I guess I can still enjoy Deja/TDAG/Demos/SciFi just fine, but yeah I don't see myself ever supporting Jesse/them ever again.

I understand people like this get quickly ostracized, but is there really any legal action? I know being a creep (esp to this level) is supremely shitty, but not necessarily illegal. But since she was a minor there's probably more traction, right? He can only get what he deserves.

10. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

I think part of why I loved the band so much was the ambiguity of their music. It actually was a huge part of my fandom for them. I had interpreted their growth and material in a vastly different way than those who are like "Yeah well, I'm not surprised. They've had creepy, sinister meanings behind a lot of their music."

I can appreciate that viewpoint, but to many, that was never the initial interpretation for any of their work after YFW. That's why it's hard to swallow this pill for so many. We have to actually accept that there may not have been that much more depth than what you see on the surface, and the meanings and connections we have with those albums may have been written in a very different light that I just don't feel good about. I can't imagine being someone who's a victim of this situation hearing those songs I love and finding pain in them instead of the joy I felt.

fenway89 and AshlandATeam like this.
  11. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Well, duh' that goes without saying. Only saw the headline, 'Band pulls out of Brand New Show after Lacey allegations.' and would rather see Chorus reactions than Twitter.

If Mark Hoppus ever gets allegations it's be anarchy.

12. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

I don't know statute of limitations but that's why allegations that are this old never get taken to court.

13. Philll

Trusted

It should go without saying but sadly that's not how these things tend to go. Be more careful.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  14. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

To the people bringing up whether there will be any legal repercussions, There's also a drastic difference between a legal wrong and moral wrong in our society. Just because Jesse may not face legal repercussions since our legislators and prosecutors (disproportionately white and male, for the record) make the decisions as to what is legally blameworthy behavior, but society at large makes the decision as to what is morally culpable behavior.

So while he may be free from "legal repercussions" that does not mean he is not morally blameworthy.

15. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

You can't have a scene rooted in so much misogyny without stuff like this going on. I hope more stories come to light because there are more. Every time a musician in our little community gets exposed the comments are filled with women sharing experiences of predatory men in the scene, in spaces that are less male dominated at least. I hope all the survivers are doing okay. It's a weird mixed feeling of empowerment seeing all these strong women come forward, and sadness having past experiences brought up and that reminder that people are capable of the worst.

16. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

eternally bummed.

fenway89 likes this.
  17. i'm kind of uncomfortable that i keep seeing people with a similar take. creating "dark" art is not a sign that you're some kind of abuser, and being outwardly bright/bubbly does not mean someone is not an abuser. it just feels dangerous to conflate these things as having anything to do with each other, and comes across as people wanting to feel like they were "in the know," even though none of us truly had any idea, except for the victim(s) and the people they confided in.

FTank, lightning, CMilliken and 14 others like this.
  18. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I think what's being lost in this by some is the survivor in this case specifically said she is NOT okay, and has panic attacks and nightmares to this day from this. The damage done here isn't in the past; it's in the present. And will be in the future.

Which is why the 'can I still listen to them' 'how do I separate art from artist' 'I wanted to see them on their last tour' 'I hope Science Fiction is on year end list' comments are nearly cruel. A child was abused, and suffers still from that abuse. The songs are just incredibly irrelevant at this point.

I know you know this, by the way - yours has been a respected voice of reason in all this for a long time, and I'm building off your comment about hoping the victims are okay, not arguing. This is commiserating, not lecturing, I promise. I appreciate your focus on the victim(s), and really hope people don't miss what this one in particular said.

19. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Saw someone on Instagram breaking their cds in half.

Better idea: find a cool local record store with standup people, sell the music, donate the clothes to people in need, and if you feel scummy making money off selling it, donate to rainn. Not saying everyone should do that, but at least this helps something

fenway89, carrytheweird and GEM37 like this.
  20. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

I would argue that if you are a part of a scene that expects deeply personal songwriting that there is a strong correlation between misogynistic lyrics and questionable behavior.

21. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i'd say even if you make mistakes in songwriting and make misogynistic lyrics there's a chance at redemption by learning about the harm the lyrics can cause and talking about it and disowning what you said and proving you've learned.

people make mistakes and say things in ways they don't mean, it doesn't mean they're a predator.

fenway89, bradpetrik and jordalsh like this.
  22. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I brought up legal implications in the Brand New SF thread. I didn't bring the subject up to say 'hey, he didn't do anything illegal' (Because HE DID, soliciting nude photos from minors is most definitely illegal). I brought up legal implications because any lawyer (assuming BN are speaking to lawyers/PR before issuing a statement) would tell their clients not to admit guilt for something illegal. So my point was, if there are legal implications, it would drastically effect what their statement would be, or if they even put one out, because a lot of people were asking about what's taking them so long to say something.

Obviously this is morally and ethically wrong behavior - and if it were just that, Jesse could come out and say, yes I did it, I regret it, I'm sorry, blah blah blah, but if there are legal implications, lawyers would advise him against that.

I just brought it up because people were talking about behind the scenes conversations going on right now in Brand New’s camp.

fenway89 likes this.
  23. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Yeah my heart breaks for the survivors tbh. I remember being an underage fan. These bands were the only outlet I felt I had. So many young people flocked to these musicians because they felt like for the first time they were being understood and for the first time they belonged somewhere and had a place in the world. For these adult men to take that safety away and exploit it is reprehensible and I just cannot imagine ever supporting any of them financially.

24. DillonHigh

25. ZeoVGM

Regular

No statement yet?

fenway89 likes this.