Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Winter Sports (Skiing/Snowboarding)

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by sean_rugy, Nov 27, 2018.

1. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

Let's see how this goes, a place to talk about all things winter sports related.

I've been skiing since I could walk and it's easily my favorite thing to do in the world. I don't go nearly as much as I used to but I have a couple big trips planned for this season. Recently picked up last year's Line Chronic model and some new Tyrolia Attack 13 bindings to go with them.

Vail/Breckenridge in March is going to be beautiful.

Some favorite videos:

What does everyone else ski or ride? Share your setup.

2. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

sean_rugy likes this.
  3. drummerAVA

Trusted

I just got back from snowboarding at Mt. Hood this last weekend... 3 days at Timberline and a night at Ski Bowl. Not the greatest weather, above freezing, freezing rain and wind...

The last day was a bit better... Got some good riding in, hit some jumps... still have a ways to go with jumping and getting comfortable in the air, but I stayed on my feet each time lol. Timberline is great if you just enjoy riding... long sweeping runs, and the Phlox cabin has some of the best tacos I've ever had. So freaking good...

Gonna try to get out locally here in MI one of these days. Trying to get some friends into it.

coleslawed and sean_rugy like this.
  4. sean_rugy

reviving this thread!

heading to NH this weekend to get a day in at Cannon. it's such a good mid-level mountain with a little bit of everything going for it. groomers, glades, a lappable park. haven't gotten out nearly as much as I'd like to this year but hopefully will have a couple more days. I mean, I hit Killington on their 200th day of operation last year for $20 and grass hopped haha.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  5. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

So I grew up in Montana and I was the only kid they kept on the bunny hill the entire day at my first ski lesson

6. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Going to Oslo in a few weeks and I'm going to check out their new indoor ski facility, a la what Dubai has

SNØ - Forsiden

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ChrisCantWrite and sean_rugy like this.
  7. sean_rugy

damn, jealous! that's gonna be amazing.

waiting for it to be spring/summer but I'm very interested in checking out the US's first indoor slope out by the Meadowlands in Jersey. they run their session's for two hours, 6 session pass for $100 - honestly not terrible if I can get some laps in mid-August haha. if they can lean into the parkside of skiing/riding I would be super happy. love me some rails.

Big Snow American Dream – North America’s first real-snow, year-round, indoor ski and snowboard center.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  8. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Niceee, looks like the same type of place; for year round training/shredding, these are pretty awesome places. Luckily for Norway, their electricity system is like 98% renewable, so energy costs are pretty much a non-factor, even in the height of summer

9. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

oh, hi thread. I love snowboarding.

ChrisCantWrite and Ferrari333SP like this.
  10. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

I know you posted this months ago...but any update on how this was? It looks like such a polarizing experience.

11. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Sorry for the delay, I was camping in Jackson Hole for a week. Yeah the indoor ski place in Oslo was decently cool; it's a pretty impressive facility. A fairly steep run, middle skill, and then a beginner hill. Plus they offer an elevated cross country ski track above all the runs which is pretty cool. A few eating areas inside, gear in all sizes to rent, and a shop to buy gear if you want. My friend and I quickly realized though after going down several times, is that it's then like "Well, that was it; we've done all the runs", haha. What's nice about going to any normal ski park is that you have a ton of variety; enough to keep you entertained for hours usually. With an indoor place like this, once you've gone down all the runs a couple of times, it starts getting a bit boring. The only real thing you can keep doing imo is to practice turns and all that, but you can only do that so many times. I could see for cross country skiers how being able to continually train all year would be pretty beneficial, but for downhillers, it's fairly limiting. I see places like this more for tourists than anything; like people who arrive during the warmer months and want something winter related to do, especially being in Norway.

ChrisCantWrite likes this.
  12. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Haha nice! Yea I was wondering how going down the same run would keep your interest, especially with so many people. Seems like an interesting experience though.

13. sean_rugy

was there any kind of park set-up? that's where I really see these places pulling in an audience. I would gladly just do some park laps if given the opportunity to ski in the middle of august haha

14. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Exactly.

15. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Ahh, yeah I think there was; I remember seeing younger kids doing jumps off a snow ramp, and I also think I remember seeing a pipe for boarders/skiers to slide off of. It looks to be setup as to be configurable to however they want it to look at that point in time

16. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Just found this: SNØ - Parken på SNØ

"In the ski park you can indulge yourself in circa 300m of jumps and rails of varied sizes and difficulties, including a big jump at the bottom of the hill. This is the place to be for anyone looking for a little extra adrenaline.

The 4-seater chairlift takes you up to the top of the slope and the button lift takes you about halfway up. In order to offer variation and ensure quality, the park is regularly updated."

17. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

18. sean_rugy

an all time favorite video

19. coleslawed Nov 5, 2022
    (Last edited: Nov 5, 2022)
    coleslawed

Eat Pizza

tkamB, Ferrari333SP and sean_rugy like this.
  20. drummerAVA

Trusted

Forgot about this thread… :verysad: winter is upon us!

Bought a new snowboard the other day… haven’t actually had my own in years so I’m mega excited. Should actually arrive any minute!

Annual Hood trip coming up as well, in late January… just pumped for this season!

21. sean_rugy

hype! only new gear for me this year were some much needed pants lol will probably get some new ski's next year - I need some wider planks.

first trip is on the books to Whiteface in early February.

coleslawed and drummerAVA like this.
  22. drummerAVA

Trusted

Nice! That’s one thing I’m a little concerned about actually… hoping my board is wide enough. Got the new Capita DOA and I think it’s a bit on the narrower side, and I’m kinda pushing my spec a little in terms of height/weight and boot size… :teethsmile: went a little shorter…

We’ll see tho… I ordered my bindings last night so should be able to get set up in the next week or two.

23. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

DOA is a pretty standard width, unless you’re in some 13+ boots you’ll be fine.

drummerAVA likes this.
  24. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

new ride for this year, DWD Kwon

IMG_3596.jpeg

sean_rugy and drummerAVA like this.
  25. drummerAVA

Trusted

Excellent, glad to hear that… did a 158 and have 10.5 boots.

Will get a pic up when my bindings come in and have them installed!