Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Wine Thread

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by nl5011, Mar 15, 2017.

1. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Hey yall!

Im surprised this hasnt been started yet!

I love wine and think this should be a place to post pics of different bottles you've tried and leave a review, or to ask for recommendations, or to just complain about a hangover!

I do food/wine tours in St Augustine, so I have some experience tasting but am learning more of the vast subject that is Wine! Which is very intimidating!:champagne::champagne::champagne:

Ken and neo506 like this.
  2. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

[​IMG]
    Delicious dry 2015 Merlot/Malbec Rosé from Kim Crawfords vineyards in New Zealand.

It is dry, not sweet but is very fruity. Also NZ wines have strong tropical fruit flavors.

Light, crisp, tastes like kiwi and watermelon.
    Only like $16 at our local wine shop, but I've seen more from KC at publix.

Mr. Serotonin and Ken like this.
  3. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I need to get more into rosé. I really enjoy pinot noir.
    [​IMG]

nl5011 likes this.
  4. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Roses can be tough, because some a just too sweet, and if it's too dry there not much of flavor/body to back it up.

I'm big on Washington State/Oregon pinots right now. Some really good stuff goin on over there!
    This stuff is banging if you can find it:
    [​IMG]

Mr. Serotonin and Ken like this.
  5. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I like the Oregon pinots as a whole over California ones, but I do make an exception for Au Bon Climat which makes probably my favorite pinots consistently.

nl5011 likes this.
  6. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

I have not tried that one, but I have seen it at Total Wine, I'll pick it up next time I'm there. If I'm buying wine for myself I tend to stay away from cali, because it's so blown up over there. You'll spend min $30 just for napa valley to be on the label. Especially when Australia is make Cab/Shiraz blends just as good as Cali cabs for literally half the price.

Ken likes this.
  7. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Been on a sweet kick lately cuz my gf picked the bottles at the last tasting we went to. But this is definitely the best from what we tasted:
    [​IMG]
    Angove 2016 Nine Vines Moscato, from South Eastern Australia. Not what your usual moscato package delivers, this is tastefully tropic and organically sweet, with a delicate creaminess that brings it all together. Pairs great with about any savory dish. Only like $16 at our local wine shop, so I don't know how available it is. But I highly recommend it if your are into semi sweet whites.

Ken and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  8. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

That sounds really good. I'm going to try to find it here in PA.

nl5011 likes this.
  9. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

I went to an all cab tasting recently and got some good picks. We are gonna pop those in the next few weeks!

Ken likes this.
  10. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I opened a bottle of Decoy cab last night. A really solid bottle. Very drinkable and fruity but with the typical dryness and strength exhibited by traditional cabernets. Will most likely buy again.

nl5011 likes this.
  11. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

I'll have to try that, I've seen it at total wine! Cab was the wine that got me into wine. Now, I have trouble finding ones that aren't too oaky, just a flavor I seemed to have zeroed in on and became very peculiar about.

Ken likes this.
  12. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Syrah was my first go to... that Yellowtail Shiraz haha. I'd think: fuck yeah I'm drinking good wine and I'm only 17.

I was pretty cool back then.

nl5011 likes this.
  13. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Haha that's awesome. Yellowtail isn't that bad! Better than Sutter Homes or BareFoot.
    and anything works when your that young!

Ken likes this.
  14. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

The Francis Coppola Black Diamond Claret was the first 'good' wine I got into. It has the gold cage and looks fancy and has a huge cab taste. I was hooked, and only for $14 at publix hell naw.

So like 10 bottles later of that I started branching out and trying different stuff.

Ken likes this.
  15. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

One of my favorite reds. I get so much of it cuz it's one of the wines, the best imo, that my job carries.
    [​IMG]
    Balbo Malbec from Mendoza Argentina.
    Super fruity, little bit of spicy earth, and a nice body that puts it up there with a cab. We sell it for about $12 a bottle.

Ken likes this.
  16. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I'm looking for a go-to Malbec. I'll have to try this one out.

nl5011 likes this.
  17. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Yea let me know if you have trouble finding it, I can send you a bottle. But I think it's well distributed here in the states

Ken likes this.
  18. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

The label looks familiar. The next time I buy wine, I'll let you know. Thanks!

nl5011 likes this.
  19. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Anyone have any recommendations for a good dry red wine to give as a thank you gift?

A friend made something for me and I wanted to give her a nice bottle of wine to say thanks but I don't know what to get. All I really know is she usually drinks red wine that isn't very sweet so maybe something like a Cabernet Sauvignon or Pinot noir maybe.

I live in NH so if you know of something that most likely distributes here or something nationally.

20. nl5011 Apr 7, 2017
    (Last edited: Apr 7, 2017)
    nl5011

Trusted Supporter

My cab rec would be the Francis Coppola Black Label Claret. I've gifted it many times and not only is it great tasting, the golden cage on the bottle really makes it look fancy. I find it in ABC and most major grocery stores that sell wine. ~$15
    [​IMG]

For Pinot Noir I would look for Meiomi. My gf and I went to a fancy restaurant last night and saw them selling this for $12/glass. We can go to ABC and get it for $16/bottle. But that's just how good this wine is, most people wouldn't question it.

[​IMG]

21. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Awesome, thanks for the recs! I'll check out the liquor store by me and see if they have those

nl5011 likes this.
  22. MikeERayner

Trusted

Just got back from wine country in Sydney and want to start cateloging what we have. Does anyone else do this and have an app recommendation?

23. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

wow this thread needs to pop off way more

neo506 and Ken like this.
  24. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Costco brand wine highkey slaps at a beautiful price

Ken likes this.
  25. kassie09

Regular

I hate that I live in PA where Costco doesn’t sell alcohol!! I’ve heard such good things about their wine and their liquor, especially their vodka.

real talk though: why does wine get you a totally different kind of drunk? I accidentally drank a LOT of Malbec and Cab the other night at a party ( servers were walking around just topping off your glass and I was in an uncomfortable social situation so didn’t know what to do with my hands and kept drinking) and if I’d drank whiskey or beer like that I know I woulda been ok but the wine just hit me. No feeling of “ oh shit I gotta slow down” just immediately horrendously drunk.

best kind of drunk, tho. Currently drinking chateau ste michelle Riesling. I’ve found the best way for me to drink wine is sitting on the couch and def NOT a social situation because I drink too quickly around a crowd. Shit fucks you UP, yo.

Ken and Garrett L. like this.