Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Willie Nelson Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cshadows2887, Mar 7, 2016.

1. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Willie Hugh Nelson (born April 29, 1933) is an American musician, singer, songwriter, author, poet, actor, and activist. The critical success of the album Shotgun Willie (1973), combined with the critical and commercial success of Red Headed Stranger (1975) and Stardust (1978), made Nelson one of the most recognized artists in country music. He was one of the main figures of outlaw country, a subgenre of country music that developed in the late 1960s as a reaction to the conservative restrictions of the Nashville sound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cshadows2887

Made this thread to say I listened to Summertime: Willie Nelson Sings Gershwin and it's one of his more grab-bag-y releases. He has some real killers like "But Not for Me" and "It Ain't Necessarily So". But then the Cyndi Lauper duet is pretty dreadful and he sleepwalks through a couple of the standards. Like all Willie albums, worth a spin. But not on a par with Band of Brothers for his recent stuff.

3. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Willie played the next town over from me last summer and I missed it because I had to work :(

4. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I still can't believe he and Kacey Musgraves are on a song together. He's a classic.

5. cshadows2887

Hard to think of too many guys who love to collaborate more than Willie.

6. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

It's a really endearing quality to me, especially in older musicians. I'd imagine it's a really incredible experience (learning wise mostly) for newer/younger artists to get to be in hands on situations with someone like Willie

7. cshadows2887

You'd certainly hope so. Sometimes it works like a charm (most of his To All the Girls I've Loved Before...) and sometimes it's a Trainwreck like the Lauper duet on this one. But you know he's always going to be restlessly working and exploring and collaborating.

8. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

9. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Just listened to Shotgun Willie yesterday. I've been meaning to get back to the Willie/Waylon albums for far too long.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  10. cshadows2887

The new album is pleasant. Not as good as Band of Brothers (which is seeming more and more like a late-career high-water mark) or God's Problem Child, but more focused than his dabbling theme albums.

11. jdr2187

jdr2187

Listened to Shotgun Willie for the first time in years tonight and it’s still awesome. Also it reminded me to go rewatch this.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  12. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

phases and stages incredible

cshadows2887 and jdr2187 like this.
  13. cshadows2887

Listened to Across the Borderline recently and it's wonderful, but in particular his cover of Peter Gabriel's "Don't Give Up" is exceptional. Sinead O'Connor does the Kate Bush part and it's just fantastic.

14. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

15. cshadows2887

The new Sinatra tribute album is very solid. He's finally lost a little step vocally, but is still a great interpreter.