Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

William Ryan Key Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by earthlight, Apr 23, 2018.

1. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Easily the best so far.

Still absolutely can’t stand how far “back” in the mix the vocals sound. It’s so grating to me.

2. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Drip drip (actually looks like this has been dripping for two weeks)

3. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

No More, No Less is AWESOME.

That is the different vibe I was looking to hear from him. Totally different, full band atmospheric type vibe with vocal distortion to boot.

You can see clear as day that he’s gradually expanding to more full, big sound. Step by step.

4. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I haven't been keeping up at all, there's a new EP?

5. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, 'Virtue', out this Friday.

6. irthesteve

earthlight likes this.
  7. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

I listen to songs like this and it really stands out to me how buried the vocals are in the new songs. Ryan has such a good, unique voice so it’s dissappointing to me that it gets kind of buried. Here’s an older acoustic example where the vocals are much more prominent:

8. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Full EP is out.

And it’s very good.

9. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

Old acoustic Yellowcard stuff are still some of my favorites. One for the Kids still gets my attention from time to time and that's some of the first stuff I heard way back when from YC.

I like the soft echo of the vocals, it's obviously a stylistic choice but I guess it depends on preference. For me, it makes the songs very intimate and casts an interesting juxtaposition when the music starts to build.

earthlight and danielm123 like this.
  10. jorbjorb

7 rings

very good.

earthlight likes this.
  11. thegreatbenbino

Be excellent to each other! Supporter

Listening to this now and I'm really enjoying it. Definitely an EP to chill out to. Would love to take it on a night drive if I'm ever out in the burbs with nothing to do.

earthlight likes this.
  12. RoKKeR

The Fly

This is good, quite a bit better than the last one. Love hearing more instruments and a bigger sound. As good as he is at quiet tunes, his ability to make huge soundscapes is what really draws me to his music. Hope he keeps pushing in this direction.

earthlight likes this.
  13. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Agreed. The more he pushes back towards a larger soundscape and more instruments the better it will be IMO. I do like the open acoustic stuff but I think theres a lot more to be explored as well

14. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

I went back to this and saw it now has over 30,000 views on YouTube. Which is actually pretty impressive. I'd assume it would be much more if he had a label or stronger marketing push, too.

supernovagirl likes this.
  15. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

That’s great. I think touring probably helped too

16. tdlyon Dec 1, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 1, 2018)
    tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Was really hoping this EP would click for me more than the last one but I think I'm just not a fan of his solo music which is really sad, Yellowcard was such an important band for me when I was young

I do like Virtue and the last track though

earthlight likes this.
  17. irthesteve

"Virtue" and "No More, No Less" are the standouts to me here, and I think it has something to do with them being the most instrumentally impressive, they actually seem to dip into post-rock styles which work really well for him

18. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

19. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

20. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Ryan sings in this song, and it absolutely shreds

DougDubosky likes this.
  21. pbueddi Feb 23, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 23, 2019)
    pbueddi

Trusted

I wonder how this collaboration came about?

edit: nevermind. didn't know they were touring with him lol.

earthlight likes this.
  22. RoKKeR

The Fly

Saw Ryan last night in Atlanta for the first show on his tour... I had no idea what to expect but was really impressed, it was extremely good. The new songs sounded great (especially the ones with a bit heavier instrumentals from the Virtue EP) and he pulled out some Yellowcard rarities that really blew me away. (and, to my surprise, actually made me cry at one point. But hey, Fields and Fences will do that to you)

Chatted with him a bit after the show and he's just a super genuine dude who you can tell still wants it, and wants it to be something of his own identity, not just Yellowcard Pt. 2.

Ocean Avenue wasn't the last song and after they played it he said "that doesn't have to be the last song anymore... freedom!" and some dude in the audience kept yelling for Empty Apartment and he said "sorry dude, not gonna happen. I'm not a jukebox". I hope he finds success going this route because it was really enjoyable, obviously totally different than a normal YC show but still tons of fun.

Was also good to see Josh up there on guitar, too.

23. shea

RIP Supporter

What other YC songs did he play? Saw an IG post where he said he was playing some they never played live and it piqued my interest.

24. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Holy cow, the live version of MSK sounds absolutely incredible

25. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

I'm going to this tour on Friday in Brooklyn. Watched a few videos on YouTube and I decided I can't miss it.