Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

William Ryan Key Band • Page 11

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by earthlight, Apr 23, 2018.

1. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  2. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Honestly good for him that seems more his speed of what kind of audience he has

3. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Have he and/or Ryan Mendez said what movie they are doing the score for?

4. pbueddi

Trusted

Is this kind of what Ace Enders does?

5. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I know it makes me sound old, but I still enjoy releases like albums, EP’s, splits, and so on.

Ryan seems to bounce between what he’s doing “now” so often. Scoring, producing, podcasting, touring with NFG, and at one point I thought working on a solo album. I’m guessing it’s fair to just say he’s a busy guy, and at any moment it could be any of those things or more.

If anyone signs up I’d be interested to hear what the new music sounds like.

danielm123 likes this.
  6. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

He has confused me a lot also. He left that last tour telling everyone a full length was on the way, and that just never happened.

.K. likes this.
  7. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Maybe releasing new music in one song doses allows him to switch styles per song more, work under less pressure, not need to tour an album, reduce costs and give him time to balance.

I still selfishly wanted a full length album though too.

8. Hey everyone. I just wanted to stop by to say a few words. Formerly absolutepunk.net and now chorus.fm and it’s community have been such a huge part of my life for so many years. The most important thing I can express is gratitude. My life’s journey has been more fulfilling and incredible than I ever could have imagined. Almost completely thanks to music, and fans of music, and the support that it and they have given me.

The mistakes I’ve made are countless. When Yellowcard rose to the level of success we did in the mid 2000s I was young, impressionable, and insecure. All of these things played into an inherent reactivity I’ve dealt with my whole life. I am aware there are many stories about the times I have not the best version of myself. None of these personal issues I just mentioned are meant to be excuses for anyone I wronged, or any encounter that was unpleasant for a fan or crew member. They are things I’ve recognized later in life as I try to find peace for myself and create art and content from a place of positivity and confidence. I know I cannot repair every bridge. I also know that I can strive to be better every day, and that’s what I try to do. I still wrestle with my reactivity from time to time, but I am able to recognize it and understand where it comes from more now. So I offer my apologies to anyone that I may have offended or put off through my actions. While it’s impossible to go back and repair those moments, I can’t tell you how grateful I am for your support. Whether you still support me now or not, it all counts. It has all culminated in my ability to still make music for a living which is my dream.

So much of this thread is full of community, and positive and support for what I do. That is what I choose to focus on. I can’t change the past. I can only learn from those mistakes and use the lessons to make me a better person.

For those of you wondering about new music and full lengths etc. I absolutely loved touring the last couple of years. Whether it was supporting my EPs or playing guitar with NFG. I’ll be completely honest with you. Trying to come out from under the shadow of Yellowcard to do my own thing was a tall order. It made each show no matter how big or small so special just to know there were people there enjoying the music I was making. But throughout the process I had to assess what was best for my future, and also where my heart and mind were creatively. For as long as I can remember I’ve had this lingering dream to compose
    music for film. I decided a while back that I wanted to finally make a real push to make that a reality. I realized I wasn’t going to be able to grind out the tours and make the records to support them, and be home in the studio enough to focus on scoring. That said, I don’t ever want to stop writing songs. They may be too different from Yellowcard for some people’s ears, but they come from me, and from the place inside of me that fights to keep making music every day. So my upcoming Patreon launch is a way I feel like I can better focus on all the different projects I have going on, and still share new music with everyone.

In advance let me say thank you to anyone who continues to support my endeavors. I’ll keep taking opportunities and grinding it out as long as you keep listening.

I hope this message finds everyone safe and healthy. Thanks for all that you have done, and continue to do for me and my music.

Much love,
    Ryan

9. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Hi @williamryankey, thanks for dropping in! It's very nice to get a personal touch from the artists we listen to on the site. I appreciate all you said and will continue following your music career wherever it goes! Stay safe!

Analog Drummer, .K., RyanPm40 and 3 others like this.
  10. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

@williamryankey

Really cool of you to drop in. Thank you for sharing all of that. I think a lot of times it's easy to make assumptions about what an artist is doing, or why, but it's really refreshing to read it organically. Like many people who have posted in this thread, I started as a Yellowcard fan 20 years ago and have always enjoyed your music and projects. Your words have gotten me (and I'm sure many others) through some of the best and worst times and will be imprinted in my memories forever. For that, I am grateful for your dedication and passion and will continue to support you as long as possible. Cheers man!

smowashere, .K., RyanPm40 and 2 others like this.
  11. pbueddi

Trusted

Can't wait to see what you do next. I wish you the best of luck!

.K., anonimito and williamryankey like this.
  12. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Always a fan and always will be. Thanks for coming by @williamryankey !

anonimito and williamryankey like this.
  13. supernovagirl

@williamryankey As clearly much of that is directed at me, I appreciate the desire to apologize or make amends but I don’t have reason to believe you have really changed. I do genuinely hope that you have and I wish you the best, but I do also think you should know that your behavior in the past has cost you a long time fan.

also maybe stop suing a dead guy, ryan.

14. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Did you ever think that maybe it wasn’t directed only at you, or about the fact that he just addressed any people he hurt or fans he had lost? Sheesh.

A little sprinkle of forgiveness and patience for someone else’s personal growth can go a long way.

15. pbueddi

Trusted

Was thinking the same thing. I think it’s a bit harsh to react like that after someone takes the time to write something like that. I guess at the end of the day it’s a personal choice as to what to believe, but personally I like to try to see the best in people.

earthlight likes this.
  16. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Well, she spent the two pages before this going to town on Ryan’s past, career, and talent, so I think it’s safe to say she’s not a fan. Obviously Ryan read it, just like any other human being would. It comes off really badly to come back in to the thread and take another swing after the guy just took the time to write something organic and genuine to try to connect with his fans.

But that’s just my opinion.

I hope Ryan sticks around, I appreciated the post on multiple levels and think it would be cool to hear his thoughts and ideas as his career progresses.

17. supernovagirl

I’m replying back because it’s clearly directed at me. I don’t care if you believe it is or not. I’m also not personally responsible for offering Ryan forgiveness. An apology also doesn’t entitle you to forgiveness.

as for “coming back and taking another swing” he literally is posting something directed towards me and what I was saying. Of course I responded back. I obviously didn’t expect him to see my posts about him but now that he did I’m not running and hiding, I’m standing behind comments I’ve already made clear. I personally believe part of growth is being held accountable.

18. supernovagirl

I literally have no obligation or reason to forgive an artist for doing things I find upsetting. Not even if they come and make a post vaguely addressed to me.

19. supernovagirl Jun 29, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 29, 2020)
    supernovagirl

Furthermore when I made those comments it was clearly not with any intention to hurt him. I didn’t seek him out and say mean things to him. I wrote my honest opinion on his music and him in a thread about his music online. One that he had never been in before.
    It’s not like I’m intentionally trying to be a dick, I’m just being authentic and honest about my experiences with his music and his band and him.

20. supernovagirl

Why? What exactly does it make “better”?

21. supernovagirl

honestly implying I’m a bad person because I don’t immediately accept an apology and let someone off the hook for YEARS of gross behavior, says way more about you than it does about me.

Why exactly should I let him off the hook? Who does that serve to help? Certainly not me nor ryan or his future fans. Why exactly am I implied to be a hateful person for saying “I don’t forgive you for what you’ve done, and you have to accept the fact that what you’ve done has lost you a fan that was otherwise passionate and long-lasting”?

just because a message is hard to hear doesn’t mean it’s untrue or unkind. It’s not “negative” to say I don’t forgive him or owe him forgiveness- it’s just a neutral fact.

22. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

I think it’s very fair to have opinions and obviously your opinion of him has soured based on past experiences. That’s fine, it happens, and at least from my perspective I completely understand why you’re expressing that.

At the same time, we are human beings. The way I see it, Ryan came in to the thread and politely, genuinely addressed some of the concerns that were expressed without directing his response at anyone. I thought he even took it a step further to address some of the personal forthcomings and the fact that he still battles it from time to time.

In that light, your response seemed a little bit unnecessary in tone, especially after he specifically addressed much of it above. Perhaps a different approach could have engaged a more productive discussion. But again, that’s just my opinion and you’re open to yours.

It sounds to me like your issue with him is personal, and maybe it would be worth your while to write or engage privately/more directly. At the end of day, I like to believe most people have the right intentions and maybe you could find some common ground.

Again, just my opinions. I hope Ryan sticks around to maintain an organic relationship with the fans, and I hope you are able to reach a point where you feel better about the situation as well.

Analog Drummer, .K. and pbueddi like this.
  23. supernovagirl

you didn’t have to say it, that’s what the word “implying” means.

Lmao I shared my feelings on a public message board with no intent of him seeing it. It’s ironic that you say that because if he was interested in having an actual dialogue with me he could have a) addressed me directly or b.) taken your own suggestion and approached me privately
    But, Why would I assume he cares enough to have a private discussion with me? He doesn’t, and I don’t blame him for that. I am not entitled to his time in the form of a private conversation. I never asked for any of his time to begin with, I only spoke frankly about my opinions- again, not knowing he would ever see them.

Also the man literally already said he accepts that he can’t repair all burned bridges so it seems like he’s way more okay with knowing he lost me, than you guys are.

at this point you guys care more than he does lmao you should examine why that is

Kayli, fran.182, Nick and 7 others like this.
  24. Renee

dry clean only Prestigious

an apology isn't a magical eraser that wipes people's feelings on the subject. and it doesn't seem like @supernovagirl is telling anyone else to feel a certain way so i don't really get why she can't share her feelings. you're all free to ignore those posts

Nick, Mary V, aliens exist and 7 others like this.
  25. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Ryan’s music in Yellowcard, Big If... and solo Ep’s has been a such a gift. I discovered Yellowcard way back when One For The Kids came out. Certain bands become the soundtrack of growing up and adulthood and this is one of them. The stories in the songs always felt relatable. I’ve never met Ryan to share a personal experience, but just like everyone else he is human. Big credit to Ryan coming in and posting a sincere personal message. It takes a lot to own to ones past, and I am sure there has been a lot of good there too. It’s also great he continues to follow his passion of scoring. I still want a full length of album of his work, but I understand why he wants a more gradual process of making music. I can relate to the getting older part of it and how priorities shift. Glad he’ll still be able to still make music and work on other stuff. Still hopes he does a song collaboration on the next New Found Glory someday on a song.

Best of luck.