Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Will Yip • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by teebs41, Mar 27, 2017.

1. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I find these threads fascinating because I have no real understanding of what makes a good or bad mix. I live in the musical armpit of Canada and don't get a lot of good shows in town, so when I hear a band's album, I assume that's the way the band intended me to hear it - I can't wrap my head around dissecting a finished product for flaws. Not that they don't exist, I just can't hear them.

For example when people say Jimmy Eat World's Damage went back to a more raw, live sound, I can't really tell what they're talking about. I know it sounds somehow slightly less polished than say, Futures, but I can't explain why.

2. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I think it's easier to hear differences and name qualities if you listen to like different genres and different time periods of genres bc they all have different production aesthetics. And if you stay within a genre or even a band, listening to different versions of songs also helps in that regard

3. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

this is exactly how i feel. or i remember when Youth came out people talked a lot about how Yip's production was all over the guitar sounds, and my mind just assumed that that was how it sounded coming out of the amp. it blows my mind that in 2017 you can pay for professional production and somehow get a bad product. i'm obviously speaking from ignorance and an untrained ear (though i think i'm getting better) but to me music still largely sounds, with some exception, either "live/raw" or "studio-quality/produced."

beachdude42 and coleslawed like this.
  4. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Idk I think assuming it's exactly as the band/producer/mixer/whoever wanted kind of neglects that people are fallible no matter what job they're doing and sometimes things either get overlooked or they reach for something that they don't quite know how to get. Which is okay, nbd. It's all art.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  5. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

6. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Episode with will! Also he said he's working on a record he can't talk about but will be one of the most important records this world will see

7. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

The intro on this podcast was one of the strangest I've ever heard.
    I like the actual interview though. ha

teebs41 likes this.
  8. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

It's actually a failed superheaven song haha

9. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

didn't know Taylor had a new podcast.
    his old one (Was Here) was pretty good but only made it four episodes.

10. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

lol that means he's done 3 podcasts with Will haha

coleslawed likes this.
  11. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

I love Strange Nerve. Both of his Will Yip interviews have been great, I feel like Will produces most of the records I love each year at this point.

teebs41 likes this.
  12. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

It's cool hearing how passionate and dedicated he is to the bands in the scene. I can 100 percent see why bands want to work with him.

13. Transient_Hymn

14. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I don't see that happening haha

Transient_Hymn likes this.
  15. Transient_Hymn

Would love to hear them talk about the Yip scene and how black cement is really different than a major. Especially with what we've heard about old Atlantic

FTank likes this.
  16. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, Id be interested in that.

teebs41 likes this.
  17. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Do we know who recorded the new paramore record?

Will said the band he couldn't talk about was insanely big. There's a connection with Atlantic records now.. Hayley has been tweeting about tigers jaw stuff and will has been retweeting it... just saying

18. Eva89

Trusted Prestigious

I thought it was the same Dude that did the previous record, Justin Medal Something

19. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh alright I'm just trying to figure out who this mystery band is haha.

Erwin89 likes this.
  20. Wait... I thought I read awhile ago that Yip WAS actually doing the Paramore record. Like, I thought it was common knowledge at this point. Maybe I'm wrong?

21. Eva89

Trusted Prestigious

Do you take me for an (april) fool!??

22. JoeyGinaldi

What have you heard? I know I've heard Taylor Madison say he has some type of beef with Turnover, but he said it's "Business" related. I'd be interested to hear more though

23. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

one of the dudes did some shitty emotional abuse stuff to a bunch of girls

24. JoeyGinaldi

Source? Only because I've never heard anything about this. I figured if it was anything real bad, then people would be calling them out

25. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

JoeyGinaldi likes this.