Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Will Yip • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by teebs41, Mar 27, 2017.

1. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

superheaven (and daylight) were pretty bad
    There was like a year I saw them like five times on a bunch of bills lol

2. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

Praying he gets the next Circa record right.
    Let those guitars breathe.

3. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I don't have much of an ear for production but I love enough albums in this thread that seeing his name on an upcoming release certainly doesn't hurt my anticipation.

4. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Best way to develop an ear for it is listening to albums praised by audiophiles and learn how to pick apart a mix. Like take Steely Dan's Aja for example, the production on that is legendary. You can literally isolate any instrument in the mix with ease, everything is balanced. Mixing your music can help with that too from personal experience.

vidiviciveni likes this.
  5. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

hmm, i will check that out. thanks for the tip!

DarkHotline likes this.
  6. cherrywaves

Trusted

The RATM self titled is also held in that sort of regard. Still incredible how modern it sounds

Ken and JRGComedy like this.
  7. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Good call. Yeah, that album, from sound to message, is still relevant.

8. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Idk if the production is worth griping about, but I do like Hostage Calm's Die On Stage.

teebs41 likes this.
  9. Transient_Hymn

Who wants to make a chronological YIP Spotify playlist. :)

coleslawed likes this.
  10. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

feel like Charmer, Hyperview, Shame, and Rooms of the House were the best at mood and atmosphere and I appreciate that a lot. I like Keep You a lot too. I flip on how I feel about Pale Horses because I think the production is great and it works really well for those songs, but I feel like the vocal affect or whatever it is that's used to contrast some of Aaron's screaming sometimes didn't pop as much as I wanted them to.

The biggest time I didn't like his style was on the second Balance album and it wasn't the worst thing in the world, it just bothered me a bit on repeat listens after talking about it with some people on here. Feel like it's just at the same volume a lot of the time

11. Transient_Hymn

Def the worst one I've heard.
    Guitars are just a blur...which is such a bummer because there is some really cool shot going in.

Still really like the album despite the production errors

12. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

This is pretty much how I feel about it. I didn't even know they had three guitarists til right before the newest album I think bc it's hard to tell stuff apart. But live those songs hit harder which was cool. I like the way the vocals sound on that album though

13. nicksteinborn

The Wonder Years Verified

FWIW, Will didn't mix that record. Brad Wood did.

Transient_Hymn likes this.
  14. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

THIS EXPLAINS A LOT bc I used to have this problem w Diary a lil bit before I got the remaster. The biggest grower.

15. devenstonow

Noobie

my friend works for an audio company and apparently in the audio industry there's a list of songs with perfect production they use to evaluate audio equipment. I know RATM is on that list. I think something by Flogging Molly or Dropkick Murphys is on it too

coleslawed likes this.
  16. cherrywaves

Trusted

That leant surprise me at all haha, it sounds so perrrrrfect

17. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Everybody is going to heaven is a record I really love.

18. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

citizen would be a decent band if they were able to make hooky songs (youth) and interesting sounding music (EIGTH) at the same time

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  19. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I find EIGTH hooky in a different way, songs are real dark but I think they are actually pretty catchy. besides like Ten that song isn't catchy at all, just sort of weird, but I like it

20. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Is it the singer? I thought it was the guitarist, or is there something else I don't know about?

21. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Anyway, I love a lot of records Yip has worked on. Rooms of the House, Die on Stage, Peripheral Vision, After the Party, and Light We Made are some of my favorites.

22. Jose

weightless in the valley

it's the lead guitarist, he's scummy as hell.

23. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Thought so, just making sure there wasn't something else I wasn't aware of.

24. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh sorry, I actually didn't know. That's a shame still.

25. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

coleslawed likes this.