Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Will Yip

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by teebs41, Mar 27, 2017.

1. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Love or hate him, Will Yip is probably one of the most important producers in the Rock music scene right now. What are your favorite records of his? Which ones do you like the least? What would you like to see him work on in the future? My favorite Will Yip records include, After the Party, Keep You, Pale Horses, Descensus, and Charmer.

2. fronkensteen

Trusted

I know nothing about him, but mewithoutYou - Pale Horses is utterly amazing.

3. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

He did Hostage Calm Die On Stage right? I liked that one. Newest Menzingers too.

4. cherrywaves Mar 27, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 27, 2017)
    cherrywaves

Trusted

Pity Sex - White Hot Moon
    Blacklisted - No One Deserves To Be Here More Than Me
    Daylight - Jar
    Code Orange - Forever
    War Hungry - S/T
    Title Fight - Hyperview

My favorites of his. I think my biggest complaint is that sometimes his drums don't "pop" but I think in terms of mood/atmosphere he does very well

teebs41 likes this.
  5. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

As far as upcoming releases

Tigers jaw
    Circa survive
    Turnover
    Citizen
    Petal?

Those are the ones I've seen him post about on twitter

6. devenstonow

Noobie

favorite: tigers jaw, after the party, petal, eisley, balance and composure, and the last title fight album.

least favorite: everything else.

Except for After the Party (which has shitty drum sounds at times) everything listed in the favorites just "works" because of the artist's sound. Most of the other things he's produced, in my opinion, have been ruined by the overall production. The newer Circa Survive/Anthony Green stuff has just been so disappointing as a diehard fan of Juturna and On Letting Go. Same goes for the new Say Anything and Two Tongues (which he did work on, correct?).

The best example of how his work can be detrimental is the new Starting Line EP. The vocals just sound so hollow/muddy and everything sounds off. Not sure how to describe it. Especially for a song like Luck that was around for ~5 years and sounds better in live videos than on the actual record.

I always forget that he did After the Party because it just doesn't sound at all like his other work.

7. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

wasn't the say anything album self produced but yip helped mix it or something

8. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Love what he did on descensus but wasn't a huge fan of violent waves production. I've been listening to keep you a lot recently and think the production on that record is close to perfect, creates a great space for those songs to live in.

I think it's interesting that while a lot of musicians love working with him and continually go back, a lot of music writers find his production pretty controversial.

coleslawed likes this.
  9. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

he's pretty cheap relatively and bands like his company and he helps a lot more in the writing process than a lot of producers do

coleslawed and teebs41 like this.
  10. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Connecting to the iTunes Store.

Apple Music playlist of all of the records of his that I enjoy. Going to check out some of the others mentioned in this thread for sure.

11. abear182

Regular

Turnover - Peripheral Vision

Great album.

teebs41 likes this.
  12. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Magnolia is pretty darn good too; will did that one as well. I love the turnover records but feel weird supporting the band since apparently the singers not a very good person

13. abear182

Regular

Actually prefer Magnolia but didn't know he did it :crylaugh:. Oh man that is a shame :concerned:

teebs41 likes this.
  14. solxace

oh word?

favourites:

Floral Green - Title Fight
    Hyperview - Title Fight
    Light We Made - Balance & Composure
    The Things We Think We're Missing - Balance & Composure
    Die On Stage - Hostage Calm
    After the Party - The Menzingers
    Magnolia - Turnover
    Jar - Superheaven
    Youth - Citizen

teebs41 likes this.
  15. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

There aren't that many that I don't like from him. My ear doesn't hear production/mixing problems as well as others, so that's usually a non-factor for me. Here's some of my favorites of his through the years:

Adventures - Supersonic Home
    Braid - No Coast
    Hostage Calm- Die on State
    Petal - Shame
    Tigers Jaw - Charmer
    Title Fight - Floral Green
    Turnover - Peripheral Vision

beachdude42 and teebs41 like this.
  16. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

The new eisley record is fantastic too!

trevorshmevor likes this.
  17. cherrywaves

Trusted

Those Petal and Braid records are excellent

18. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Really like the Pianos Become The Teeth and Title Fight records he did.

teebs41 likes this.
  19. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

Keep You is an all time favorite of mine as well. It's one of the albums in my rotation that I listen to before I go to bed.

beachdude42 and teebs41 like this.
  20. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Rooms of the House is one that hasn't really been mentioned yet that sticks out for me as I disliked La Dispute until that record. That last Young and Heartless record is super underrated, too.

If I had to pick an out-and-out favourite though from a production standpoint, maybe Charmer?

Keep You is a great album from a songwriting point of view, but the production sounds a bit flat on it imo.

teebs41 likes this.
  21. cherrywaves

Trusted

Yeah tbh this is probably the only album where I really see people's gripes about his production. That album would probably be an all timer if it had crisper production

22. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I can definitely relate to this... production almost never bothers me unless it's just egregiously bad. It's just not something that's usually detrimental to me as long as it's executed "competently", and I'm way more likely to notice production I like than production that's "bad".

teebs41 likes this.
  23. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

What is auperheaven like?

24. cherrywaves

Trusted

Nirvana + Failure

25. solxace

oh word?

Nirvana tbh, but I personally enjoy them a lot