Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Wild Pink - A Billion Little Lights (February 19, 2021) Album • Page 7

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by username, Oct 6, 2020.

1. radiodead

Trusted

I like the debut just fine but Yolk in the Fur is definitely a massive level up, and a must listen. It’s a masterpiece in its own right.

Barresi and Leftandleaving like this.
  2. ItsAndrew Feb 20, 2021
    (Last edited: Feb 20, 2021)
    ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Yolk In The Fur is amazing and the debut is good too. This is my favorite Wild Pink song though.

Although that could change with more listens to this album, of course.

LightEmUp34, matthaber and Barresi like this.
  3. Jim

Trusted Supporter

This live stream is really good

LightEmUp34 likes this.
  4. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Upon second listen I would upgrade my “this is super good” comment to “this album is a ray of light”

5. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

I can’t wait to enjoy this on a long run tomorrow. My listen yesterday during work was great as is but can’t wait to put some nice scenery with this

trevorshmevor likes this.
  6. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I loved Yolk in the Fur, but in my opinion, this one just works so much better as a whole and I find it consistently more beautiful.

Family Friends is special. It gives me the same feeling as all old my favorite JEW songs.

LightEmUp34 and Contender like this.
  7. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

4k score is too low!

The highs on Yolk might be higher, but I’ve come around to this being the stronger album after a bunch of listens over the weekend. Flows better and I don’t think there’s as many (or any) weak tracks on this.

8. radiodead

Trusted

I was gonna guess 8.2 BNM, didn’t even give them the 8.0. Wild.

9. OotyPa

fall away

Article reads like BNM. I'd just ignore the score, like most PFK reviews.

That said, I've listened to this three times now and I still prefer Yolk in the Fur, which has no problem with consistency / flow, in my opinion. I do enjoy this album a lot, but Yolk in the Fur's reawakened sonic energy and lyrics about change just hits a special place for me. This one hasn't touched me on that level yet.

Leftandleaving and Nick like this.
  10. username

hey you lil piss baby

I like this record a lot but it's impossible for me to hold it up against Yolk in the Fur at this point. That's one of a handful of records that I think is like the gold standard for "indie rock" in the 2010s. I do love the little bits that expand the sound of that record a lot. The sax on "Pacific City" is perfect.

11. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

If anyone has any recommendations on albums with a similar atmosphere to this and Yolk in the Fur, feel free to shout them out!

12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Tallest Man on Earth, Bon Iver too, obvi.

13. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

war on drugs

14. OotyPa

fall away

Death Cab's more recent Blue EP honestly touches on this sound a bit IMO.

15. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

year war on drugs is very similar

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  16. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Thunder dreamer, especially the new EP

smowashere likes this.
  17. Gianni

Trusted

the day I gave up reading THAT site for music “news” and typed chorus.fm into my browser every time my fingers wanted to start typing pitc......com was one of the most liberating days of my life.

I respect everyone on here’s takes and taste 1000x over that shit.

smowashere likes this.
  18. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

The actual review was solid

radiodead, Cameron and OotyPa like this.
  19. Gianni

Trusted

i had to look - just because I realized I came off like a snarky asshole myself with my comment, when truly I’m just trying to compliment the genuine takes I read on this site.

But after reading , is it really though? To me it reads like 2 paragraphs of “background of the band and who they are/why I should care about them”, followed by 2 paragraphs of references to similar artists (complete with hyperlinks galore) and peppered with a few sentences with fancy adjectives “describing” the music.

This is how most of their reviews seem to be these days. Not worth the time. It seems like they reviewed it As a chore and gave it the obligatory 1-2 listens as opposed to music fans on this site that listen to it because they actually enjoy it, not because they are being paid for it.

Again - sorry if I come off negative, just sharing my take.

20. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Idk, I agree with certain criticisms and also think this sentence is pretty great: “Everything about the album’s synth-heightened heartland rock is wired for maximum impact, from the production, which frames Ross’ songs like aerial shots of the Grand Canyon, to keyboards that sparkle and glisten as if queued to a light show that for now exists only in Ross’ head.”

Gianni28, OotyPa and Contender like this.
  21. OotyPa

fall away

Man. Is it just me or does hating pitchfork feel really forced and dated at this point? The review is pretty good IMO and honestly I’m glad music journalism like album reviews can still exist in this era, and with as big of a readership that they have, i’m happy they’re giving a band like Wild Pink positive coverage at all.

Anthony Brooks and radiodead like this.
  22. Gianni

Trusted

Lol! Everything comes full circle.

I was really trying to praise this site more than anything.

Funny how everyone focuses on the negative hahaha

23. Gianni

Trusted

Anyway this record is awesome and no way that it should be less than an 8.0 on p4k or 4 stars or however you want to RATE it!

24. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I like when Pitchfork gives albums BNM (especially albums I am hyped about) because it feels like a big boost for the artist. It does suck when you think an album is going to get BNM and it doesn't. Like giving Lucy Dacus's album Historian an 8.1 felt ridiculous, because it's so close to a BNM score and the review was all positive.

Anyways, this album is still very good!

25. Gianni

Trusted

Also - Wild Pink *should* be getting coverage. So We’re supposed to feel happy simply when they decide to devote a few sentences to something that isn’t shitty SoundCloud mumble rap these days?

Yikes, talk about throwing in the towel.