Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Widows (Steve McQueen, 2018) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by suicidesaints, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

The dog in this movie's been having a huge year

2. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

The dog was the best part of the movie. It even served a plot point lol

3. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

She deserves an Oscar

4. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I feel Like there’s not a ton of character depth. But I appreciate Steve McQueen inserting commentary about gentrification into it. The scene of the exterior of the car Farrell is in driving blocks from the urban area to the gated community was great.

5. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Also, I cant wait to see Cynthia Erivo in everything. She killed it in this and “Bad Times at the El Royale.”

secretsociety92 likes this.
  6. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

How could Daniel Kaluuya’s character have known about the burglary? Seemed like a big plot hole to me

7. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

He was tailing Viola Davis's character for almost the entire movie.

kbeef2, secretsociety92 and aoftbsten like this.
  8. aoftbsten Nov 16, 2018
    (Last edited: Nov 16, 2018)
    aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

This lived up to the hype for me. Loved it. One of the best heist movies I’ve seen in a while.

The heat comparison is lazy. They are both heist films with nuanced characters. But the comparisons should stop there.

Also, fuck yea that dog is amazing. And it served the plot!

secretsociety92 and Zilla like this.
  9. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

That was one of my favorite scenes as well.

secretsociety92 and Zilla like this.
  10. iCarly Rae Jepsen Nov 16, 2018
    (Last edited: Nov 16, 2018)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

there were a lot of movies going on at once and I feel like every character could have gotten their own movie (Bryan Tyree Henry and Daniel Kaluuya, Elizabeth Debicki and Jacki Weaver, Colin Farrell and his assistant, Garret Dillahunt)
    the cinematography/editing was so well done
    I appreciated the political elements and Steve really nailed those dynamics and how much Jack was a charming prick
    Bryan Tyree Henry should be in every movie
    Elizabeth Debicki is the best but she looked and dressed and talked exactly and distractingly like that Heidi Gardner boxer's wife character
    plus this movie has the rare feat of surprise Garret Dillahunt and surprise Carrie Coon who I did not recognize, also why was his name Bash

Jake Gyllenhaal, Mary V and Zilla like this.
  11. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Every time Elizabeth Debicki was in a shot I couldn't stop thinking about how tall she is

12. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Critic Alfonso Duralde nailed it by saying this could work better as a HBO limited series and I tend to agree, even though I liked it a bunch.

I think the one scene that really suggests that is the son getting killed by the cop. For a scene that should be so timely and impactful, it feels like it’s tossed off and kind of manipulative. A whole episode could really dig into that.

Also, I’d just love to spend more time with these characters.

13. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

It's funny you say this because it was based on a mini-series from the 80s.

Zilla likes this.
  14. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

Indeed it was, an ITV production and one of the original cast is actually in the film.

aoftbsten likes this.
  15. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Haha. Wow. Did not know that.

16. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

17. Night Channels

Trusted

The rapping one take was my favorite scene.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  18. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

This fucking rules

19. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Solid movie, solid cast. Happy to see a slew of character actors I didn’t expect to see show up. The action scenes intense. Between this and A Star Is Born, we need more doggies in movies.

20. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

*doggos

21. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

Elizabeth Debicki stole the movie for me. What a talent.

22. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

So annoyed this didn't do as well as expected at the US Box Office last weekend.

23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Serh likes this.
  24. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

How did they do the scene where Brian Tyree Henry threatens Olivia? The character was dangling her by the collar, right? So they better not have actually put her through that

25. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Yea that was tough to watch. Productions are usually pretty strict in ensuring animal safety. If there was harm it probably would have been reported in the press