Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Wicca Phase Springs Eternal - Suffer On (February 15, 2019) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by username, Jan 14, 2019.

1. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

this album more so than any other in the genre perfectly blend modern day emo with rap. Like this is one of the rare times i feel the tag of "emo rap" fits perfectly.

TriangularDuck and teebs41 like this.
  2. he's barely rapping too - it's basically how he sang on tiger jaw stuff just maybe a little more monotone and in a lower register

feels like this just gets the emo rap tag because of his work with Peep and the fact that there are a lot of beats on it

coleslawed and teebs41 like this.
  3. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

coleslawed likes this.
  4. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

wow, an album with rap beats on it gets called a genre wth the word rap in it, how horrible

Contender and matthaber like this.
  5. not what I'm implying at all - the record spans a variety of different genres (hell some of it sonically reminds me of what Will did on earlier Baths releases)

calling this record emo rap feels like it's pigeon holing it right off the bat - it contains elements of various styles throughout

teebs41 likes this.
  6. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

It’s called emo rap because it’s an emo rap album. Genres can’t expand if you don’t let them and refuse to let any artist doing interesting things get tagged as that genre.

username and matthaber like this.
  7. That’s fair.

I try not to care about it anymore - I go by the Kacey Musgraves method - there are two genres good and bad music

coleslawed, riotspray and teebs41 like this.
  8. strangeterrain

Regular

Album sounds good. Excited to see what songs get played on tour. Can’t beli Angel Du$t is opening.

9. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

holy moly this is good

Drew Beringer and teebs41 like this.
  10. bedwettingcosmo

"crushed" and "i need help" could have legitimately been on charmer

Allhailburnzy likes this.
  11. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I had no clue this was the dude from Tigers Jaw until just now. Interesting...

teebs41 and bedwettingcosmo like this.
  12. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

did not think I'd be into this but here I am listening to it again for the second time in a row

teebs41 likes this.
  13. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

This rules hard

14. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Actually really enjoying this. I've always loved Charmer which feels like the most Adam-heavy release by TJ so it makes sense. Do you guys think the melodies in "Crushed" are meant to call back "Cool?"

5Stories and strangeterrain like this.
  15. bedwettingcosmo

didn't even catch that. nice one.

i think someone already pointed it out but he also does a call back to slow come on at the end of "rest"

16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

This is cool. Listen to Lil Peep too

teebs41 and sophos34 like this.
  17. username

hey you lil piss baby

I feel like this is the most his Tigers Jaw influence has come through on a Wicca Phase project. A lot of these tracks sound like acoustic TJ cuts with trap drums thrown over them. And then stuff like "Crushed" straight up sounds like it could have been on any TJ release.

I like this based off my one listen, but not as much as I was hoping given how good of a single "Just One Thing" is.

18. nickdr921

Regular

I liked him better when he was in Tigers Jaw, and i Like Tigers Jaw better when he was in Tigers Jaw ;)

teebs41 likes this.
  19. nickdr921

Regular

crushed is good though

teebs41 likes this.
  20. Never cared for Tiger’s Jaw, only got about half way into this on my commute home but didn’t mind it. Cool beats that go hard and seem produced well. Like others have said it melds emo and rap in a genuine way like I haven’t really heard elsewhere. I get that he’s doing a “thing” probably by singing in such a monotone way but I’m not really digging that part. Guess we’ll see how the second half goes later though!

21. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

I’m a tigers jaw/charmer stan so that could explain why I love this. Though the TJ influence is definitely more pre charmer imo which I’m not too into but it works here repurposed for the emo rap aesthetic

22. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

He could totally put some beats in “I Saw The Wolf” and it would fit perfectly on here

Borat and 5Stories like this.
  23. bedwettingcosmo

do you think he intentionally ripped this song for "rest"?

24. bedwettingcosmo

super weird this song is coming up here since they got song credits on the new better oblivion community center record since phoebe ripped it for "big black heart"

i honestly had never heard it until i did some digging to find out why they got credits on it.

25. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Oh wow that’s wild haha I didn’t even notice that but now it’s very apparent. Very cool

bedwettingcosmo likes this.